That One Girl

Film Piracy (opinions and box office effect)

Just now, Jay Hollywood said:

You DO want to watch it though. You just don't wanna pay, you want to steal. Im not going to go out and buy Hot Shots, I can go 10 years without seeing it easily. But if it popped up on Netflix today I'd watch it. If I actively today downloaded it and watched it, that would make it a 1000000% fact I wanted to see it.

I still *want to see it (because I choose to watch it) If you say you don't EVER wanna see it, but would be willing to watch it you just LIED. 

If you go online download and watch it you obviously WANT to see it. You cant say you don't. 

Jay have you never flicked through the TV guide and seen a film on later and thought "i'm not that interested really but i'll give it a look seen as though its on"?.

Has there not been ANY film released this year where you have thought "that film looks interesting but not enough for me to go and see it"?.

It must be a very black and white world for you Jay.

life FACT. If I watch something ALONE it's because I wanted to, this applies to all 7 billion people.

You guys who Pirate have NO argument, It doesn't bother you thats fine, but there is no line in the sand that makes it ok.

I watched 634 movies this year, I good 100 of them I probably would have never paid for in any way shape or form. Had they not been on Netflix I wouldn't have sought them out and downloaded them and could have waited years to watch.

If you were to download and watch them, you obviously wanted to watch them MORE than me. Its not an excuse. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

Jay have you never flicked through the TV guide and seen a film on later and thought "i'm not that interested really but i'll give it a look seen as though its on"?.

Has there not been ANY film released this year where you have thought "that film looks interesting but not enough for me to go and see it"?.

It must be a very black and white world for you Jay.

You have not read a single one of my posts obviously. 

• Like 2

Just now, Grand Moff Tele said:

What does "indirectly encourage" even mean? This concept that content creators will somehow magically make a better movie if you don't watch a bad movie has no bearing in reality. 

I agree that content platforms have a lot of room for improvement. That does not in any way mean it's fine to pirate something just because you feel like it. There is no absolute right to get something for free just because you feel like it. 

I agree, but all that would happen is that people just wouldn't see it then. If you think that revenues would magically jump massively if piracy stopped the you are seriously delusional.

Sure some small movies are struggling somewhat now, but thats more about changing tastes than anything else. The internet makes it far easier to see through glossy advertising than it used to be, crap gets called out instantly. Years ago if you werent sure about a movie you just didnt go or rent it, now you pirate it, either way, no revenue.

• Like 1

Just now, Jay Hollywood said:

life FACT. If I watch something ALONE it's because I wanted to, this applies to all 7 billion people.

You guys who Pirate have NO argument, It doesn't bother you thats fine, but there is no line in the sand that makes it ok.

I watched 634 movies this year, I good 100 of them I probably would have never paid for in any way shape or form. Had they not been on Netflix I wouldn't have sought them out and downloaded them and could have waited years to watch.

If you were to download and watch them, you obviously wanted to watch them MORE than me. Its not an excuse. 

As Rock Balboa once said "life is not always sunshine and rainbows".

Seriously all the games i WANT, i buy (bought many this year)

All the movies i WANT to see, i pay to see (as i have done planty of times this year)

Me downloading 'The girl on a train' like i did yesterday, has zero effect on the films success because i never would of paid to see it, or even rented it.

If you and Tele can't see that its not a 'black and white' thing, then nothing i say matters.

Keep believing the propaganda.

• Like 2

I think people just also plain aren't sure whether a free movie is really legal or illegal. I searched for Heat earlier this year online which was a $2.99 rental on YouTube, but there was also a pristine copy available on DailyMotion for free that had been there for over a year. Which one do you think I selected?

Search engines and video host sites just need to step up their game in differentiating between legal and illegal means to watch a film.

39 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

It's basically the digital equivalent of anti-vaccers -- let everyone else cover the cost of things so I can get it free. Add up enough people with that attitude and the whole system starts to have serious problems.

This nails it, 100%. Unfortunately, explaining to people that they're freeloaders doesn't trigger enough guilt to make them stop, so I think it's time for a stronger legal response to piracy.

24 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

The whole I pirate because I would have never bought it or watched it otherwise is bullshit. I wouldn't pay 50 bucks for that game, but Ill sit my lazy ass on the couch and play it for 30 hours.

I won't buy the blu ray. but Ill pirate it, watch the whole thing for 2 hours, watch it again next year and rip gif's and make memes from it. 

No one pirates stuff they don't want.... How may people go around pirating CDs from wanna be rappers on the side of the street!?! If you truly are NEVER going to watch *blank* movie and have no desire to buy it or rent it, then why would you pirate and watch it?

Also agree 100%. For example, I know people who spend ~$20 every day on very basic takeout food because they don't want to be bothered to cook who laugh at me for spending ~$20 on occasion to buy a film I want to have permanently on blu-ray/digital release. 

I have a lot of trouble believing that someone willing to spend more than $20 on food they could have made themselves for a few dollars values their time so little they're willing to spend ~2 hours watching movies they didn't actually want to see. Sometimes even several hours re-watching them.

• Like 6

Hard truths here:

Cams have NO effect on box office. They are poor quality, so poor that they are rarely watchable. Is that really going to stop someone who wanted to see it from spending £/$10 on a ticket? Of course not. Screeners? Probably do have an effect, but they are rare for big/popular movies.

Blu-ray sales probably are hurt by piracy somewhat, but maybe if they werent £/$20 and packed with unskippable ads/warnings and DRM what delays your viewing then they would be more popular. Netflix etc has more effect on BR sales than piracy does.

The biggest effect on sales? Geo-locking, high priced package pricing, restrictive viewing experiences, unavailability.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

I agree, but all that would happen is that people just wouldn't see it then. If you think that revenues would magically jump massively if piracy stopped the you are seriously delusional.

Sure some small movies are struggling somewhat now, but thats more about changing tastes than anything else. The internet makes it far easier to see through glossy advertising than it used to be, crap gets called out instantly. Years ago if you werent sure about a movie you just didnt go or rent it, now you pirate it, either way, no revenue.

I'm saying piracy has a far greater effect than just revenue problems for the studios or networks (and obviously it's easiest to paint these huge companies as entities that won't be harmed by some profit loss). But the problems trickle down and fundamentally harm the very people who actually make these dang things. Both literally, in terms of the writers/directors/showrunners who depend on things like residuals to cover them from project to project, to the general grunts of the industry, who basically live paycheck to paycheck just like other workers.

These are the things to consider when you idly feel it's fine for you to get something for free. This is basically the cost of having a group of professionals make things for you to enjoy.

And in terms of affecting you, if the studios feel like they're losing enough money that they need to make adjustments, they'll basically cut costs by tightening budgets: meaning some VFX studios will go out of business, some professionals will have to go part-time, some young directors and writers won't be able to make a living and will end up doing else.... the sum total of which means crappier movies (the kinds you like). 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Jason said:

This nails it, 100%. Unfortunately, explaining to people that they're freeloaders doesn't trigger enough guilt to make them stop, so I think it's time for a stronger legal response to piracy.

Also agree 100%. For example, I know people who spend ~$20 every day on very basic takeout food because they don't want to be bothered to cook who laugh at me for spending ~$20 on occasion to buy a film I want to have permanently on blu-ray/digital release. 

I have a lot of trouble believing that someone willing to spend more than $20 on food they could have made themselves for a few dollars values their time so little they're willing to spend ~2 hours watching movies they didn't actually want to see. Sometimes even several hours re-watching them.

lol clearly you dont understand people at all then. People mindlessy watch crap they arent that bothered by all the time, piracy IS the equivalent of take out food.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GirafficPark said:

lol clearly you dont understand people at all then. People mindlessy watch crap they arent that bothered by all the time, piracy IS the equivalent of take out food.

Using that example, piracy is the equivalent of taking food from a restaurant and not paying for it, expecting and assuming that all the other customers will cover the cost of your free-loading. 

I'm saying when that happens enough, the restaurant will just close and go do something else. 

• Like 10

Just now, GirafficPark said:

Hard truths here:

Cams have NO effect on box office. They are poor quality, so poor that they are rarely watchable. Is that really going to stop someone who wanted to see it from spending £/$10 on a ticket? Of course not. Screeners? Probably do have an effect, but they are rare for big/popular movies.

Blu-ray sales probably are hurt by piracy somewhat, but maybe if they werent £/$20 and packed with unskippable ads/warnings and DRM what delays your viewing then they would be more popular. Netflix etc has more effect on BR sales than piracy does.

The biggest effect on sales? Geo-locking, high priced package pricing, restrictive viewing experiences, unavailability.

AVATAR was (and probably still is) the biggest pirated film of all time, yet it went on to be the biggest grossing film of all time worldwide, and the biggest selling Blu-Ray film of all time until Frozen.

In fact i'd be willing to bet that AVATAR's DVDSCR got more people to actually go and pay to see the film than anything else.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I think people just also plain aren't sure whether a free movie is really legal or illegal. I searched for Heat earlier this year online which was a $2.99 rental on YouTube, but there was also a pristine copy available on DailyMotion for free that had been there for over a year. Which one do you think I selected?

Search engines and video host sites just need to step up their game in differentiating between legal and illegal means to watch a film.

For a while my parents (in their 60s, not very tech-savvy) were using Popcorn Time without being aware it was illegal. They stopped once I told them it was, my mother was very shocked.

• Like 1

I'm saying piracy has a far greater effect than just revenue problems for the studios or networks (and obviously it's easiest to paint these huge companies as entities that won't be harmed by some profit loss). But the problems trickle down and fundamentally harm the very people who actually make these dang things. Both literally, in terms of the writers/directors/showrunners who depend on things like residuals to cover them from project to project, to the general grunts of the industry, who basically live paycheck to paycheck just like other workers.

These are the things to consider when you idly feel it's fine for you to get something for free. This is basically the cost of having a group of professionals make things for you to enjoy.

And in terms of affecting you, if the studios feel like they're losing enough money that they need to make adjustments, they'll basically cut costs by tightening budgets: meaning some VFX studios will go out of business, some professionals will have to go part-time, some young directors and writers won't be able to make a living and will end up doing else.... the sum total of which means crappier movies (the kinds you like). 

Which studio website did you copy and past that from Tele?, Warner Bros?.

Come on man.

• Like 1

So I should pay for movies and TV I dont like? Is that what you are saying? Tell you what, next time I buy a car ill buy 2, one I want and one I dont, because I wouldn't want the workers of the other company to miss out...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

Which studio website did you copy and past that from Tele?, Warner Bros?.

Come on man.

Are you kidding me?

1 minute ago, GirafficPark said:

So I should pay for movies and TV I dont like? 

Yes, of course! My god. 

With any sort of consumption, there is a non-zero chance you might not like it. However, that doesn't mean you should expect or demand to only pay for what you like, retroactively. Keeping with the food example, you don't go to a restaurant, eat dinner and only then decide whether you'll pay. 

If you're not happy with your TV subscriptions, cancel them! Just don't expect any sort of sympathy that you now want all the content you happen to like for free. Talk about wanting to have your cake and eat it too. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

So I should pay for movies and TV I dont like? Is that what you are saying? Tell you what, next time I buy a car ill buy 2, one I want and one I dont, because I wouldn't want the workers of the other company to miss out...

You have to know you're being obtuse.

Yes, you should pay for movies and TV you don't like. People pay for things they don't like all the time.

• Like 2