FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread (Dec-30-Jan 2nd) 3/4-day #s R1 49.5m/64.3m, Sing 42.8m/56.4m, Pass 16.15m/20.7m, Moana 10.97m/14.3m, WH 10.6m/13m, Fences 10m/12.7m

Also, I gotta say that the success of SLOP and Sing make Storks' underperformamce all the weaker. It's very much in the vein of cartoonish slapstick and fun (and does a better job of it, IMO) and barely sold more tickets than The Nut Job.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Spaghetti by the Sea said:

Also, I gotta say that the success of SLOP and Sing make Storks' underperformamce all the weaker. It's very much in the vein of cartoonish slapstick and fun (and does a better job of it, IMO) and barely sold more tickets than The Nut Job.

Storks was good but I think Warner Bros didn't put much marketing muscle compared to their tentpoles and films like Sully. The Lego Batman Movie will be a hit for WAG but they need to find a original hit film rather than rely on Lego or existing properties like Scooby Doo

22 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Moana somewhere in the $4m range everyday this week. Certainly don't see that consistency very often with the way the week is usually structured. Holidays are a whole different beast.

The calendar for next year sets up even better.  Star Wars Episode VIII released on the 14th, Christmas Eve/New Year's Eve on a Sunday and many will get the following Tuesday of each week off.   

• Like 10

Jumanji is going to destroy next year.  I would expect at least $250m out of it and more if the reviews are good.  

2006 was the last year the calendar set up the same way and Night at the Museum (which is similar) did $250m with the same release date.  

• Like 7

Jumanji should be huge, I agree. It'll do very well. A good family option and plenty of people like me who saw the original when we were kids would be interested in the sequel. That is, if they're not as crazy as I am, because while Star Wars is playing I don't watch anything else for at least a month. It's sacrilegious :P But the studios send me so many screeners at this time of the year that it's enough work trying to get through them all. I never succeed, I always get to about 75-80% and miss a few. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Jumanji is going to destroy next year.  I would expect at least $250m out of it and more if the reviews are good.  

2006 was the last year the calendar set up the same way and Night at the Museum (which is similar) did $250m with the same release date.  

No hope for Ferdinand then?

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

As long as sw8 open to 200 plus million it's certain to do 680 plus domestic.

Frankly I cannot see it going under jw at all especially due it's ending.

Rogue One is going to scratch close to $600m domestic.  I can't see Episode 8 doing less than $700m domestic at this point as long as the reviews are good.  

• Like 16

Lol if only this could happen, even if there's only a 2% chance of it happening. Spoiler tag for length

http://kylesanimatedworld.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_19.html

Spoiler

Opening Weekend: $270 million
Domestic Box Office: $964 million
Overseas Box Office: $1,655 million
Worldwide Box Office: $2,619 million

Star Wars: The Force Awakens was the very definition of a juggernaut... The very picture that everyone and their brother absolutely had to go and see, even people who don't hit the movies very often.

This has happened a lot of times in the movies... Spider-Man broke the opening weekend record in 2002 with a then-gargantuan $114 million and went on to make a then very rare $400 million stateside, and despite the fact that its sequel was superior in terms of quality, it ended up grossing roughly $30 million less stateside... Why did this happen? Simple. The first one had that "wow!" factor, it had that novelty factor, thus everyone - even your local grannie who barely ever takes a trip to the theater every 2-3 years - went. Spider-Man overperformed, hence Spider-Man 2's performance not matching it - still a great performance, though!

This had also happened with the original Star Wars trilogy. Again, the newness of it... The Empire Strikes Back is arguably the better film, but it didn't make as much. The original 1977 release of Star Wars - without any theatrical re-release totals added - sold the most tickets out of all the installments - 142 million, second place is The Force Awakens with 108 million.

On the Marvel front, it happened. The Avengers broke records and opened with $207 million, the final gross was an astounding $623 million. Avengers: Age of Ultron opened with $191 million, simply because that novelty wore off for some. Legs were mostly underwhelming, as the quality split audiences.

I originally thought that Episode VIII would do exceptional business, but would be nowhere near as big as it predecessor domestically. However, the untimely death of Carrie Fisher at the end of this year will most likely lead to a Dark Knight-esque performance, where everyone comes out to see the actress' final film. The same thing had happened to Furious 7, finished and released after the death of Paul Walker. That opened significantly higher than its predecessor, which was already the peak of the series in terms of the box office. That being said, The Force Awakens still made a ridiculous amount of money... How much higher can this film go at the domestic box office?

In terms of the opening weekend gross? Yes, I think it breaks the record. Domestic? Well, I think the legs will be good. The Force Awakens scored a 3.7x multiplier, most films that open with over $100 million don't get anything near a 3.0x multiplier. Star Wars is Star Wars, and it's also the holiday season, so I think the legs will be solid but not as strong as Force Awakens. Not because of quality or anything, but Force Awakens was one of those reality-bending performances. Episode VIII should be as well, but not to that agree, hence it missing $1 billion domestically...

The Dark Knight is a hard comparison to make because its predecessor, Batman Begins, didn't really do all that great to begin with. It opened softly, but had excellent legs that carried it past $200 million domestically. That one was a consistent home video hit. The Dark Knight's performance was astronomical in 2008. A better comparison is Furious 7. The previous film opened with $97 million, Furious 7 opened with $147 million. Legs? Can't say, both had the usual blockbuster legs.

So I'm thinking... A bigger opening, because of what has happened... But the finish will be close to the previous film, because again. How much higher can a Star Wars film go domestically? How high can any film go domestically right now?

Edited by FlashMaster659
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

THIS.  It has The Rock, Kevin Hart, Jack Black, and Nick Jonas in the same movie.  It screams "box office breakout."

• Like 2