Lordmandeep

Canadian Exchange Rate Negative Impacts?

When we think of exchange rates we think of the overseas markets.

For exchange rates there is an effect even in the domestic market.

Unless I am wrong and the studios dont covert the Canadian grosses using real time exchange rates for the overall domestic gross...there is an impact

Look at the following...

In 2009/2010 Avatar mde 96 million in Canadian Dollars and the exchange rate with the Canadian Dollar was around par so it made around 96 million dollars US for the overall total give or take a few million.

In 2016/2017 the same 96 million Canadian total would be 72 million dollars USD

Doubt Avatar 2 total will make that much in Canadian dollars but still. 

It has an effect something like The Avengers made 58 million Cad which the rate was around Par then.

Jurassic World made around 54 million CAD in 2015 and it be around 43 million USD at that time...

If the Canadian Dollar was at par was released SW7 would have made around 25-26 million more domestic I think... (assuming Sw7 made around 85-90 million Canadian based on it making 58 million by Dec 31st 2016 and by then it made 66% of its gross so 58 million divided .66=88 million) and 88 million times .70 XE rate is 66 million.

The rate during SW7 was at a 10-15 year low as well... 

cp-10yr-noon-dollar-chart-jan-12-2016.pn

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 6

It probably depends on what the real exchange rates are, rather than the nominal ones.  I get rather fuzzy when talking about exchange rates though, and would rather not go to indepth on it at the time.

In short.  I guess it depends if you exchange 5 US dollars for x Canadian dollars (depending on E) if you can buy the same amount of movie tickets as the previous year, despite how many Canadian dollars you get back.  If the answer is yes, then there's no effect, if the answer is no then there is one.

• Like 1

Here's another way of looking at it. I obtained data for the Canadian gross box office from 2005-2013 (Focus reports, UNESCO) and calculated the percentage of domestic box office for that year, then made a graph of Canadian domestic box office vs. the average nominal CAD/USD exchange rate for that year (Bank of Canada).

N0GmJyW.png

The trendline was calculated forcing an intercept of zero (negative intercept doesn't make sense here), and extrapolated backwards to include current exchange rate. The R-squared value of 0.82 is statistically significant, and suggests that about 80% of the yearly differences in the Canadian contribution to domestic box office can be explained by changes in the exchange rate.

The absolute decrease is small though (edit: to the total domestic box office). Comparing current exchange rate to peak exchange rate from 2011-2012, a difference of about 3%. Comparing current exchange rate to Avatar exchange rate, difference of about 1.5%.

Edited by Jason
added a clarification
  • Like 7

35 minutes ago, Jason said:

Here's another way of looking at it. I obtained data for the Canadian gross box office from 2005-2013 (Focus reports, UNESCO) and calculated the percentage of domestic box office for that year, then made a graph of Canadian domestic box office vs. the average nominal CAD/USD exchange rate for that year (Bank of Canada).

N0GmJyW.png

The trendline was calculated forcing an intercept of zero (negative intercept doesn't make sense here), and extrapolated backwards to include current exchange rate. The R-squared value of 0.82 is statistically significant, and suggests that about 80% of the yearly differences in the Canadian contribution to domestic box office can be explained by changes in the exchange rate.

The absolute decrease is small though. Comparing current exchange rate to peak exchange rate from 2011-2012, a difference of about 3%. Comparing current exchange rate to Avatar exchange rate, difference of about 1.5%.

Just to make sure that I'm understanding correctly, the Canadian share of the domestic box office has remained roughly the same, even as the exchange rate changed, right?

11 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

Just to make sure that I'm understanding correctly, the Canadian share of the domestic box office has remained roughly the same, even as the exchange rate changed, right?

The Canadian share of domestic box office changes roughly in proportion with changes in the exchange rate.

However, because Canada's share of the domestic box office is small though (8%-10% in that data range), a weakening of the Canadian dollar by 10% would only reduce the total domestic box office by about 1%.

Added a clarification to the original post.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 5

Although we focus on the daily reported box office figure don't forget that may not be the actual real dollar figure that finds it's way back to the studio.  Studios and distributors have there own internal arrangements to account for exchange rates and transfers between internal parts of the company.

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jason said:

The Canadian share of domestic box office changes roughly in proportion with changes in the exchange rate.

However, because Canada's share of the domestic box office is small though (8%-10% in that data range), a weakening of the Canadian dollar by 10% would only reduce the total domestic box office by about 1%.

Added a clarification to the original post.

Gotcha. Thanks for the analysis!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Maybe I should move to Canada. :unsure: 

You'd freeze to death here.  I'd pay you to come to Toronto in February when it's -20 C.  Seriously.  I would pay for your plane ticket.  It would be glorious.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

You'd freeze to death here.  I'd pay you to come to Toronto in February when it's -20 C.  Seriously.  I would pay for your plane ticket.  It would be glorious.

Or he could come to BC where it's the dumbest mildest climate ever.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Or he could come to BC where it's the dumbest mildest climate ever.

Yeah, if I was this crazy, I'd target BC and plan for global warming to turn it into Northern California.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Yeah, if I was this crazy, I'd target BC and plan for global warming to turn it into Northern California.

I'd be really worried for you in Canada.  You need to update the wardrobe.

Image result for cold water survival suit

• Like 5

In the end i think based on my analysis...

A foreign exchange difference is material not in the overall picture but for grosses for major all time hit films.

As I calculated it's about 26 million dollar difference for sw7.

14 hours ago, Telemachos said:

How about instead of meeting for the first time in LA, we take a trip and meet up in Whitehorse or Yellowknife, or even Juneau?  Say sometime in February? :)

• Like 1