DAJK

Weekend Thread...Friday numbers (Deadline) HF: 6M| BBM: 5M| PD: 4.2| LLL: 3.97 (PG 18) - NOT THE PIRACY THREAD (OR THE POLITICS THREAD)

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i mean yeah that's less than 1/3 of what gangster squad opened to on the same weekend. ben affleck gonna spend all of 2017 looking depressed too.

It's gonna make less in its entire run than Gangster Squad did opening weekend. Embarrassing for all involved.

• Like 1

THE HELP did 26.0 ow and 169.7 dom. Will be fun to see how HIDDEN FIGURES plays out.

THE HELP is too high a target though. Hope it goes over SULLY.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

Live by night was never supposed to be an awards contender. I don't think it was made for that reason. Then the studio started hearing positive things about it and decided to try to make it an awards contender. I don't know where it went so wrong either but obviously the reviews killed it. I personally thought it was pretty prosaic and slow and focused way too much on romance instead of gangster stuff. I'm pretty shocked by a 7 million opening but Ben Affleck is going to be just fine LOL he's being paid very handsomely to do the Batman stuff and he's an Oscar winner two times over. He'll be just fine. No one bats a thousand.

• Like 5

Just now, baumer said:

Live by night was never supposed to be an awards contender.

It was moved all the way up from October to January and then was given a qualifying December release to make it look like WB still had an Oscar contender in their wings (since they usually have at least one every year and it was becoming apparent that Sully was fading) to save face. Alas, they are now all but guaranteed to sit out completely this year for once in a rare off year for them.

• Like 1