Impact

Best Picture predictions-2017!

Agreed. I think Mother! will miss out on all major noms but could score a tech or two. I don't see Jlaw getting in for this cause BA is stacked through the roof already and we know that there's Streep spot so it's really actresses vying for 4 spots. So before Winslet is seen (I'm not buying her nom/win/whatever just yet, look how big flop Dench's Victoria&Abdul is):

Hawkins - gunning for the win

Ronan - challenger 

McDormand - challenger #2 

Streep - Streep

5th spot - Robbie, Benning, Chastain, Winslet, Vega

I also reserve judgement cause festival reactions are one thing but keeping the buzz alive and not falling off the wagon/peaking too early is another. So we'll see who sinks and who swims. 

Usually, contenders who are in conversation to win (any category) are safer bet than those who are only in nomination conversation, cause people like to vote for the winner. of course, there's always Ben Affleck surprise but, as a rule, projected winners lock Oscar noms while projected nominees may miss out due to a late-in-the-game upset (see Gyllenhaal for Night Crawler and Adams for Arrival). 

Edited by Valonqar

23 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Agreed. I think Mother! will miss out on all major noms but could score a tech or two. I don't see Jlaw getting in for this cause BA is stacked through the roof already and we know that there's Streep spot so it's really actresses vying for 4 spots. So before Winslet is seen (I'm not buying her nom/win/whatever just yet, look how big flop Dench's Victoria&Abdul is):

Hawkins - gunning for the win

Ronan - challenger 

McDormand - challenger #2 

Streep - Streep

5th spot - Robbie, Benning, Chastain, Winslet, Vega

I also reserve judgement cause festival reactions are one thing but keeping the buzz alive and not falling off the wagon/peaking too early is another. So we'll see who sinks and who swims. 

Usually, contenders who are in conversation to win (any category) are safer bet than those who are only in nomination conversation, cause people like to vote for the winner. of course, there's always Ben Affleck surprise but, as a rule, projected winners lock Oscar noms while projected nominees may miss out due to a late-in-the-game upset (see Gyllenhaal for Night Crawler and Adams for Arrival). 

Bening is going nowhere. 

14 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

After seeing mother!, I'm still keeping it in the four categories I've been predicting: Supporting Actress, Cinematography, Production Design, and Sound Editing (where I think it might win). I loved JLaw in the film, but it's a restrained performance most of the time and might be tough to break into the competitive Actress field.

dunkirk's had both the sounds locked down for two months dude. can't see any of those nominations personally.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

dunkirk's had both the sounds locked down for two months dude. can't see any of those nominations personally.

Dunkirk doesn't have the sound categories on lockdown. I could easily see Shape of Water or Blade Runner getting both, and Greatest Showman will probably contend in Mixing.

IDK considering the better tham expected notices Stronger is getting and the raves for his performance I definitely think Gyllenhaal being mentioned in a thin Best Actor race seems likely. I would put him in. I'd certainly put him in over Jeremy Renner.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

IDK considering the better tham expected notices Stronger is getting and the raves for his performance I definitely think Gyllenhaal being mentioned in a thin Best Actor race seems likely. I would put him in. I'd certainly put him in over Jeremy Renner.

I brought this up in the weekend thread with Tatiana Maslany and Supporting Actress. It really depends how much Roadside campaigns for the film. If it's a nice little box office hit, that would definitely help. This is what I'm predicting for Actor at the moment (no DDL because I doubt Phantom Thread is this year):

1. Oldman

2. Chalamet

3. Cranston

4. Franco

5. Hanks

6. Renner

7. Gyllenhaal 

8. Washington

Edited by WrathOfHan

I can definitely see Gyllenhaal randomly showing up at SAG. Ultimately depends on how Stronger does at the box office. Doubt it does anything great, but the budget was probably low so even if it makes half of what Patriots Day did, it won't be seen as a flop like that film was.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

The biggest advantage Pfeiffer has is that

Reveal hidden contents

just try and think logically for a second.

• Like 1

I will be very surprised if mother! gets any nominations. That's not to say it's not deserving (it's definitely going to be in the running for nods in actress, supporting actress, cinematography, and the sound categories on my personal ballot), but the divisive reactions and poor box office performance will force Paramount into an uphill battle to keep the film in voters' consciousness come December.