YM!

Weekend Estimates: Lego Batman 55.6M, 50 Shades 46.7M, John Wick 2 30M

Blockbusters are big OS because the local movie production companies don't have enough budget for big movies. so the american movies are all people have and it's cool to see these big movies on the screen. especially in in development countries like China  where people didn't have enough money in the past to go to the movies. now they have the funds to see the latest technology advancements on the big screen

Edited by Alli

7 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Maybe you think things are blander because there have been more would-be blockbusters per year recently than ever? I feel like the whole "only make big blockbusters or small budget movies" trend has more to do with streaming and downloading becoming a huge thing than the OS market exploding.

I think it is a combination of the 2.

Destruction of the home entertainment value made movie more dependent on the box office performance than before and the explosion of the OS market gave movie that can work everywhere a big advantage over the other on the theatrical screen.

It is hard for a product made at 40 to 70 million to compete with one made with those 300-400 million budget like those giant PG-13 movies with giant world release, specially that they fight for very similar screen that sold ticket at similar price, those who become a must see on theater for sound/image spectacle reason has the advantage.

If middle range type of movie would compete movie that cost 2,2.5 time there budget like in the past it would be a closer game or if they didn't have to do well at a first weekend to have a chance.

• Like 1

When Jayhawk, Pink, and I walked into Target, this is the first thing we saw. Not only can kids take a pic with it, it's also advertising some "Legobat event" going on next Saturday.

QWnwCgC.jpg

I don't wanna hear anyyyyyyyyyyyyyymore excuses about Lego Bat's marketing. WB has done a fine job, competition was just stiff this weekend, plus it's still February. 

@Blankments

• Like 11

La La Land held pretty well considering it saw a huge theater loss. It probably won't have much of a boost after it wins Best Picture since everyone knows it's walking away with the award by now, but it has performed tremendously well and shows that there is still an audience for a well-made musical. Hopefully the trend continues with The Greatest Showman at Christmastime.

Hidden Figures has become a beast. It's gonna end up with a similar total to The Help when all is said and done.

• Like 1

@Cmasterclay let's continue that conversation here so more eyeballs can judge our predictions :lol: This is what I have the February/March releases doing:

The Great Wall: 20/50

Fist Fight: 15/50

A Cure For Wellness: 6/14

Get Out: 30/90

Rock Dog: 4/10

Collide: 3/6

Logan: 80/210

The Shack: 15/50

Before I Fall: 10/30

Kong: 35/90

The Wall (if it's still releasing): 15/60

Beauty and the Beast: 170/570

The Belko Experiment: 10/25

Power Rangers: 45/150

Life: 15/40

CHiPs: 7/18

Ghost in the Shell: 35/105

The Boss Baby: 20/70

The Zookeeper's Wife: 10/30

Step Sisters: 2/4

• Like 3

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

@Cmasterclay let's continue that conversation here so more eyeballs can judge our predictions :lol: This is what I have the February/March releases doing:

The Wall has moved to May (where it's set as a limited release).

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

:D

:wintf:

Edited by Alli

24 minutes ago, filmlover said:

La La Land held pretty well considering it saw a huge theater loss. It probably won't have much of a boost after it wins Best Picture since everyone knows it's walking away with the award by now, but it has performed tremendously well and shows that there is still an audience for a well-made musical. Hopefully the trend continues with The Greatest Showman at Christmastime.

Hidden Figures has become a beast. It's gonna end up with a similar total to The Help when all is said and done.

$175m is entirely possible, I think. It's going to become the biggest ever film domestically entirely fronted by African American women (Sister Act, with $139.6m way back in 1992). And here I thought my $125m prediction was optimistic...

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

We're actually pretty simpatico except I think you're way high on Logan and Ghost In The Shell. I think Logan does something like 50/120 and Ghost in the Shell about 14/30 or so. I also think that the collection of low tier movies like Before I Fall and the Shaq and Zookeeper's Wife and Belko are just going to get evaporated and finish well below this.

Also, since it's in the immediate future I think Fist Fight is DEFINITELY beating out the Great Wall next weekend. What is the audience for that movie in America? At least Fist Fight is the first live action comedy in awhile, and it has a likable pair of stars that could play off each other. 

• Like 3