YM!

Weekend Estimates: Lego Batman 55.6M, 50 Shades 46.7M, John Wick 2 30M

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Matt Damon is so disappointed in you right now.

I crazy but The Great Wall + Fist Fight is not exactly the 1-2 combo of 22 Jump Street and How to Train Your Dragon 2 following EoT.

My serious but totally not serious Great Wall prediction is 35m OW

• Like 1

Hmm. Not a stellar start for LEGO Bats but still looking to make a nice chunk of change. Honestly, not even expecting the LEGO Movie sequel to do as well as LEGO Movie. There was a groundswell of love for that one and it was very novel at the time of release. Now, we have it, LEGO Bats and Ninjago before it's release. I guess we'll see. But, again, pretty sure LEGO Movie was the zeitgeist just as Spidey 1 was the zeitgeist of the Spidey series. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Hmm. Not a stellar start for LEGO Bats but still looking to make a nice chunk of change. Honestly, not even expecting the LEGO Movie sequel to do as well as LEGO Movie. There was a groundswell of love for that one and it was very novel at the time of release. Now, we have it, LEGO Bats and Ninjago before it's release. I guess we'll see. But, again, pretty sure LEGO Movie was the zeitgeist just as Spidey 1 was the zeitgeist of the Spidey series. 

The novelty factor will be all but dead by the sequel's release. Plus, it'll be hard to live up to the original, so it ain't gonna increase from the original. I'm not even sure if the reviews will have the same critical acclaim as the original and the Batman spin-off. Sequels usually risk running out of steam. 

I'm not saying that because I want it to fail, but I think audiences might become a bit weary of its style of humor.

I still expect over 200m DOM from it though, which is great. Maybe even 225m. It'll still appeal to families and kids, just not as many as the original IMO.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, franfar said:

The novelty factor will be all but dead by the sequel's release. Plus, it'll be hard to live up to the original, so it ain't gonna increase from the original. I'm not even sure if the reviews will have the same critical acclaim as the original and the Batman spin-off. Sequels usually risk running out of steam. 

I'm not saying that because I want it to fail, but I think audiences might become a bit weary of its style of humor.

I still expect over 200m DOM from it though, which is great. Maybe even 225m. It'll still appeal to families and kids, just not as many as the original IMO.

Yup. Pretty much in agreement with everything said here.

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Where else can he go from here, though? How would bigger budgets help him out?

He funded most of the movie himself, no? If anything, this shows that he doesn't necessarily need the major studios. He can be semi-independent with more creative control, and make lots of cash while at it.

Edited by franfar
  • Like 3