CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

6 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

LOL he knew it was a mistake but he wasn't going to be the one to read it.

Come on, I think he wanted to ask her help to understand what was going on and she just said it aloud as soon as she read it cause she thought he was joking about it all.

• Like 3

Despite this screw-up coloring the entire show, I enjoyed the show (Kimmel was a very good host) and the winners are very satisfying, especially the acting winners. Say what you will about Casey Affleck as a person, but how can you not be happy about Emma Stone, Viola Davis, and Mahershala Ali joining the class of Oscar-winning actors?

• Like 6

Hold up guys, I just went and double checked the BOFFY totals.  It turns out I accidentally counted all of the votes for Emma Stone as Best Actress as Best Picture.  Awkward.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople wins Best Picture!

Spoiler

Just kidding, La La Land actually won pretty handily.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

I mean, this just reeks of politics. They give best foreign picture to an Iranian film and best picture to a gay, black film. Come on now.

The Academy isn't a monolithic block. Farhadi was the most famous and well-known in terms of the foreign directors this year -- I mean, he's already won this award in previous years. So it's not like Academy members didn't have a clue who he was and only wanted to make a political statement. He's also regarded as one of the best directors in the world -- some outright call him the best. So again, it's not like there isn't precedence for him winning.

In terms of MOONLIGHT, over the last several weeks, there've been a lot of Academy people who've expressed their love for it, and not because it's black or gay, but because they love the character work in it and how wonderfully it tells a quiet, intimate story. Even people you might not expect, like Michael Mann (as I mentioned earlier).

• Like 9

Just now, The Panda said:

Hold up guys, I just went and double checked the BOFFY totals.  It turns out I accidentally counted all of the votes for Emma Stone as Best Actress as Best Picture.  Awkward.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople wins Best Picture!

lets just get rid of that bottom bit shall we

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Despite this screw-up coloring the entire show, I enjoyed the show (Kimmel was a very good host) and the winners are very satisfying, especially the acting winners. Say what you will about Casey Affleck as a person, but how can you not be happy about Emma Stone, Viola Davis, and Mahershala Ali joining the class of Oscar-winning actors?

I really wanted Huppert to win. I figured Stone will have plenty more chances.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

The Academy isn't a monolithic block. Farhadi was the most famous and well-known in terms of the foreign directors this year -- I mean, he's already won this award in previous years. So it's not like Academy members didn't have a clue who he was and only wanted to make a political statement. He's also regarded as one of the best directors in the world -- some outright call him the best. So again, it's not like there isn't precedence for him winning.

In terms of MOONLIGHT, over the last several weeks, there've been a lot of Academy people who've expressed their love for it, and not because it's black or gay, but because they love the character work in it and how wonderfully it tells a quiet, intimate story. Even people you might not expect, like Michael Mann (as I mentioned earlier).

Emma Stone actually talked about how much she loved Moonlight after the ceremony tonight. When even your competition loves you (and not in a pat on the back sort of way either)...

• Like 4

Just now, filmlover said:

Emma Stone actually talked about how much she loved Moonlight after the ceremony tonight. When even your competition loves you (and not in a pat on the back sort of way either)...

I think there's a ton of love for Barry Jenkins too -- especially because he's such a nice guy and been so effusive about his love for all the other nominees and nominated movies.

• Like 2