CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

To the surprise of no one, Oscars take another viewership dip:

http://deadline.com/2017/02/oscars-ratings-2017-down-best-picture-mistake-jimmy-kimmel-abc-1202009034/

Universe is back in balance. 

It's stupid to blame the mix-up, arguably the only worthy thing, for the dip. People have taste and stir clear of this boring af overlong show with nominees and winners they don't care about.

I also have a theory that Beatty didn't want to tell anyone that the envelope was wrong as a payback for Benning snub. 

If La La Land won, would you even be this salty

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I also have a theory that Beatty didn't want to tell anyone that the envelope was wrong as a payback for Benning snub. 

Do you honestly think this is one of the first things he thought in the five to ten seconds before he handed it to Dunaway?

My guess is it went something like this: "....wait, what?.... is there a second card in here?..... no? WTF... is it a typo?... is it the wrong card? Fuck! Do something, millions of people are staring at you!"

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I feel super good about myself now. If that was by someone I respect, I'd be upset,. But from you, it's a compliment. 

@The Panda

Lol, so you're trying to turn it around on me by using a strawman again?

I never mentioned Slumdog and your argument is completely irrelevant.  I'm just trying to tell you how you're coming across.  And you're coming across as either a consciously racist troll, or passively racist privileged white male.  And I've reached the point where I'm just going to call it out and be honest.

Anyways, arguing with you is like trying to argue with Kellyanne Conway.  And if you don't get the negative connotations of that then you truly are hopeless.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Outside of baumer, pretty much everyone who saw Moonlight loved or at least liked it, whereas LLL is more mixed in terms of general reaction. The people who don't like Moonlight have, for the most part, admitted that they haven't even seen it. Hmmmm, I wonder why they're shitting on it....

I saw it and didn't like it. Not that my movie taste is important or something.

Using live TV ratings in 2017 is usually kind of faulty outside of sports, and even within sports frankly, given how the number of Nielsen households has shrunk and millions of people use streaming/online/DVR broadcasts instead. It's a dumb metric. There's more entertainment options and more ways to watch than ever. Live tv ratings might be going to go the way of the dodo bird for the most part soon. They're still very useful to compare things with each other within the same year, but not year to year. Or we do we really think NCIS is the most relevant show on TV?

Just now, Telemachos said:

Do you honestly think this is one of the first things he thought in the five to ten seconds before he handed it to Dunaway?

My guess is it went something like this: "....wait, what?.... is there a second card in here?..... no? WTF... is it a typo?... is it the wrong card? Fuck! Do something, millions of people are staring at you!"

of course I don't but I think that my conspiracy theory is better and more plausible than Leo's revenge and Damon's revenge prank on Kimmel which are current buzzed about theories. ;)

Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if a number of people decided not to watch the Oscars because it was widely assumed La La Land was gonna win everything until it did...and then it didn't.

Just watch them get a ratings spike next year of people tuning in in hopes that something as batshit crazy as this happens again. lol.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Have you been following awards season since La La Land started to catch on and become a box office smash.

I don't know, I was pretty sure LLL will sweep the Oscars based on the nomination count alone. It was the frontrunner in the most important categories like Editing and Director too. God knows what went wrong.

LOL, rating are not gonna spike just because last minute out of insufferably boring 4.5 hour show was interesting. That was immediately posted on YT. Who wanted to catch up didn't have to stay through the overlong crapola before the fuck-up. 

If awarding low awareness/low interest movies is indeed going to kill Oscars, than I'm all for it. There's silver linings in everything. 

Edited by Valonqar

Just now, The Panda said:

Occam's Razor, there's no conspiracy.  They made a human error and picked up the wrong card.  End of story.

Surely pretty much everyone's done some theater or live presentation at some point in their life? Just imagine the inherent chaos and confusion that happens with any sort of live event and magnify it by a million and you'll have some sense of what it must be like. Honestly, it's a credit to the production crew that more screw ups don't happen. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, franfar said:

Why didn't you like the movie?

First act was good, second was decent and I almost fell asleep during the third act. It was just boring. Also the movie was too American for me, it's hard to relate to the characters. Not necessarily the movie's fault, but it didn't resonate with me much.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Surely pretty much everyone's done some theater or live presentation at some point in their life? Just imagine the inherent chaos and confusion that happens with any sort of live event and magnify it by a million and you'll have some sense of what it must be like. Honestly, it's a credit to the production crew that more screw ups don't happen. 

What happened last night seems to be a chain screw up. First came the Actress-in-Picture envelop screw up. Than came Beatty screw up cause he didn't report what he obviously though was odd. Then came Dunaway screw up cause she read what she was given. Mess. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Hell, I found out this year that even running the BOFFYS is chaotic, I can only imagine the Oscars.  And from running coffee houses and experience in music trying to get everybody to coordinate to do simple tasks is hard af.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

LOL, rating are not gonna spike just because last minute out of insufferably boring 4.5 hour show was interesting. That was immediately posted on YT. Who wanted to catch up didn't have to stay through the overlong crapola before the fuck-up. 

If awarding low awareness/low interest movies is indeed going to kill Oscars, than I'm all for it. There's silver linings in everything. 

I only watched it because of Sing. I knew it won, the Fluid machinery (:lol:) professor told us in the morning. It was overlong and boring. The nominated movies were fine, I even loved some of them but they need to make it more interesting for a casual moviegoer.