CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

If nothing else this once again brings more perspective to the whole thing. All over again, you spend six months gradually becoming more and more emotionally invested in all this stuff against your better judgment, and after all the endless predictions and arguments and everything it ends with two people almost as old as Tele having no idea how to properly deal with being handed the wrong piece of paper. 

• Like 4

I will say that if there had to be a snafu, at least it occurred in Best Picture where you had a bunch of people standing on the stage absorbing the awkwardness of the situation. Can you imagine if that had happened in one of the acting categories? I would've literally died of embarrassment for whoever's name got called initially and had to have their Oscar taken away on stage.

• Like 6

I've been watching the Oscars since the late 70s & it was just awful.  Moonlight had it's moment in the sun ruined & the people who worked on LaLa Land have to give back the trophies - just a friggin mess.  I guess Warren didn't know what to do but why not just say "I was given the wrong envelope" - I still can't laugh at this - just embarrassing.

I'm sad La La Land lost especially like this. At least this OscarsSoWhite thing will fade away and so is the "Oscar voters are racist" bullshit. I didn't like Moonlight but if the voters feel it was the best movie of the year then I won't complain. Good for them.

• Like 1

i did note in those "brutally honest oscar ballot" articles there were a few voters being pretty dismissive of la la land and pretty much all of them were saying stuff like "moonlight is beautiful" even if they didn't rank it first. i can't believe last year i actually paid attention to those articles and i got it wrong and this year i was like "eh whatever" and i got it wrong again.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i did note in those "brutally honest oscar ballot" articles there were a few voters being pretty dismissive of la la land and pretty much all of them were saying stuff like "moonlight is beautiful" even if they didn't rank it first. i can't believe last year i actually paid attention to those articles and i got it wrong and this year i was like "eh whatever" and i got it wrong again.

Yeah, but The Red Turtle didn't win Best Animated Feature, and it showed up on those honest ballots. Whatcha gonna do?

Unless you found others besides the Hollywood Reporter ones.

22 minutes ago, misafeco said:

I'm sad La La Land lost especially like this. At least this OscarsSoWhite thing will fade away and so is the "Oscar voters are racist" bullshit. I didn't like Moonlight but if the voters feel it was the best movie of the year then I won't complain. Good for them.

Well, now it's #OscarsSoPC or #OscarsNotWhiteEnough.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Another fact: Moonlight is the first movie to win Best Picture without any of SAG, PGA, or DGA since Braveheart.

Exactly.

I'm sure Moonlight is a worthy winner, but to claim politics had absolutely nothing to do with its win seems very naive to me. The Oscars like to act like they're more important than they actually are.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Stingray said:

Exactly.

I'm sure Moonlight is a worthy winner, but to claim politics had absolutely nothing to do with its win seems very naive to me. The Oscars like to act like they're more important than they actually are.

Whatever. Believe what you want.

FYI Spotlight also won Best Picture last year despite only winning at SAG. This year all Moonlight really had to its name was Best Picture Drama at the Golden Globes. The statistics have been getting an ass-kicking the past few years.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well, now it's #OscarsSoPC or #OscarsNotWhiteEnough.

Honestly it's just as dumb. The difference is that the former (OscarsSoWhite) was also heavily featured in the mainstream media. I don't think it's healthy to make everything centered around race. America is divided because of this.

1 minute ago, misafeco said:

Honestly it's just as dumb. The difference is that the former (OscarsSoWhite) was also heavily featured in the mainstream media. I don't think it's healthy to make everything centered around race. America is divided because of this.

America has been divided for a long ass time but no one's really had the guts to speak up about it until recently. But that's a different discussion for a different thread.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Look, I totally agree that I should see it and then disucss it. But I really don't want to because I don't want to support what led to its win. OscarsSoWhite were such a big deal that everyone was predicting a black movie to win, they just had sights on BOAN until the scandal. Then it became obvious it was going to be Moonlight cause it had gay content so easier to guilt-trip AMPAS due to BBM loss. It's all by design. I'm not supporting that.

Like I said, I do feel sorry for the movie that the political thing upstaged it but I also think it wouldn't have been such a big player without it. Not even close. 

So you're going to trash Moonlight, without seeing it, making assumptions of what it's about and why people liked it?

The movie wasn't made to win Oscars, man.  It's a small indie film with mostly smaller named actors, that broke out and resonated with audiences.

It wasn't because of politics that it got in, it's because it was a well made film.  If they wanted an easy political choice they would have gone with Hidden Figures over Moonlight.

Moonlight isn't a white guilt movie at all, if you saw it, maybe it'd click with you.

Nobody was guilted into voting Moonlight.  And it's incredibly offensive to any minority filmmaker to say their movie only got acclaim because of white guilt, instead of recognizing that maybe they're talented people who made a good movie about human struggle and self-identity.

• Like 9

Moonlight is a FANTASTIC movie with an incredible first and second act , however the third act is somewhat average and that IMO is what holds it from greatness , that is why being awarded BP is not a very deserving one , the win here is almost fully political but that doesn't mean it is not a very good movie for in fact it is but looking back at the awards LLL has won like the DGA , PGA , BAFTA , sweeping the Globes and about 70 other awards with moonlight semi consistently winning supporting actor and screenplay here and there

now those are the same people who awarded Moonlight very few awards , hell it lost the best ensemble to hidden figures  , so it is not like the oscars don't overlap with the DGA , PGA , BAFTA and SAG who obviously thought that nothing comes near LLL but the controversy surrounding the subject which happens to be extremely close to the controversy surrounding the oscars in the past couple years led to the Moonlight win 

I'm not being racist here , it is the same with Crash/Argo/King's speech winning BP and those are almost completely white movies but tackling some sensitive subjects leads to winning in this manner and there are plenty of examples in recent years , the thing is there hasn't been such a clear front runner in years with the closest thing being Slumdog Millionaire , LLL won everything and then some but the whole "the academy loves to honor movies about movies " paired with " here is a very good  movie about gay struggle " in a year where the academy is recovering from the oscars so white thing and one gotta say the win is not wholehearted 

4 minutes ago, BirdMan said:

Moonlight is a FANTASTIC movie with an incredible first and second act , however the third act is somewhat average and that IMO is what holds it from greatness , that is why being awarded BP is not a very deserving one , the win here is almost fully political but that doesn't mean it is not a very good movie for in fact it is but looking back at the awards LLL has won like the DGA , PGA , BAFTA , sweeping the Globes and about 70 other awards with moonlight semi consistently winning supporting actor and screenplay here and there

now those are the same people who awarded Moonlight very few awards , hell it lost the best ensemble to hidden figures  , so it is not like the oscars don't overlap with the DGA , PGA , BAFTA and SAG who obviously thought that nothing comes near LLL but the controversy surrounding the subject which happens to be extremely close to the controversy surrounding the oscars in the past couple years led to the Moonlight win 

I'm not being racist here , it is the same with Crash/Argo/King's speech winning BP and those are almost completely white movies but tackling some sensitive subjects leads to winning in this manner and there are plenty of examples in recent years , the thing is there hasn't been such a clear front runner in years with the closest thing being Slumdog Millionaire , LLL won everything and then some but the whole "the academy loves to honor movies about movies " paired with " here is a very good  movie about gay struggle " in a year where the academy is recovering from the oscars so white thing and one gotta say the win is not wholehearted 

Your opinion is your opinion, but it's not some objective fact. 

@filmlover is right to bring up preferential balloting -- over the last several years, it's shown that many of the older statistics (and even the guild awards) don't necessarily matter when it comes to Best Pic. Indeed, only the PGAs are a decent harbinger for that, since they're also preferential, and in retrospect I'd guess that LA LA LAND's win there was closer than we expected. When you combine that with HIDDEN FIGURES winning the SAG Best Ensemble, clearly LA LA LAND's front runner position was shakier than we all thought. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i thought the third act was easily the best part of moonlight personally.

Personally I think the second act was phenomenal , nothing happened in the third act (either that or I missed the point ) but this is my personal opinion which is not a fact 

but the other things that I said about the award season and Moonlight's win is an objective look at the numbers and equations 

• Like 1