CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

I love how the "I'm not racist" crowd claims to be all for equality, but says "it's only because they're black!!" EVERY SINGLE TIME black filmmakers/actors win an award, get cast in a movie, has a breakout hit, or get praised in reviews. If you can't possibly accept that maybe sometimes black people win things because, you know, they deserve it, then I'm pretty sure "not racist" isn't the words to describe you.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I really don't agree with this. Would you have said the same thing if LLL won?

Absolutely. As you can see, there were 100+M winners between ROTK and Moonlight wins (M$B, The Departed, Slumdog, etc) but I don't count them as audience/critics/industry juggernauts like ROTK or what Avatar win would have been. 

I'm not a LLL cheerleader cause that's another movie celebrating Hollywood that they love to award. I'm just against an obvious political win because it's political. But I give Moonlight that it didn't create the political situation. It was released that year and political stuff worked in its favor, while on the flip side, it also gave it a political win label. I'm 100% aware that, had Gravity been released in 2016, Cuaron win would have been labelled political. Even though it's one of the most deserving wins ever.

Edited by Valonqar

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Absolutely. As you can see, there were 100+M winners between ROTK and Moonlight wins (M$B, The Departed, Slumdog, etc) but I don't count them as audience/critics/industry juggernauts like ROTK or what Avatar win would have been. 

I'm not a LLL cheerleader cause that's another movie celebrating Hollywood that they love to award. I'm just against an obvious political win because it's political. But I give Moonlight that it didn't create the political situation. It was released that year and political stuff worked in its favor, while on the flip side, it also gave it a political win label. I'm 100% aware that, had Gravity been released in 2016, Cuaron win would have been labelled political. Even though it's one of the most deserving wins ever and Gravity snub is why I rage against this shit. I used to be a liberal until 12YS win and then went all conservative out of protest. 

Did you even see the movie? I highly doubt it. It was brilliantly acted and directed with a great story. Why is it impossible for you to consider that? Maybe it was just the best movie.

Also, actual real people are affected by real people's political decisions. Maybe you shouldn't make those determinations about political issues based on an awards show. I've argued before that the Oscars are important, but that's just silly.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I'm not a LLL cheerleader cause that's another movie celebrating Hollywood that they love to award. I'm just against an obvious political win because it's political. But I give Moonlight that it didn't create the political situation. It was released that year and political stuff worked in its favor, while on the flip side, it also gave it a political win label. I'm 100% aware that, had Gravity been released in 2016, Cuaron win would have been labelled political. Even though it's one of the most deserving wins ever and Gravity snub is why I rage against this shit. I used to be a liberal until 12YS win and then went all conservative out of protest. 

This makes literally no sense to me. You're saying your ideals switch around because of Hollywood awards?

In terms of blockbusters, I think a large factor is the sorts of movies that used to get wins (and had big box-office successes) aren't really made by the major studios any more. They're made by smaller companies and often don't have the budgets or marketing that big adult dramas had in the 80s and 90s because (1) it's too expensive to market that way now and (2) the studios aren't really in that game any more, they're in the tentpole business. 

Once in awhile, there are exceptions, but they tend to prove the rule. 

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Did you even see the movie? I highly doubt it. It was brilliantly acted and directed with a great story. Why is it impossible for you to consider that? Maybe it was just the best movie.

Also, actually real people are affected by real people's political decisions. Maybe you shouldn't make those determinations about political issues based on an awards show. I've argued before that the Oscars are important, but that's just silly.

I haven't seen it, never said I have. I'm sure it's great and I've heard the context-wise it isn't political at all. More's the pity that it was made a political win because campaign throughout the season was that it must win to prove OscarsNotSoWhite and defy Trump. It was never let to speak for itself, which its supporters justify with that it would have never won had it not been made the most important political thing of the season. And that turns me off. I won't see it precisely because I'm told it's important to see it. Without that pressure, maybe. But not now. 

@Telemachos

In terms of blockbusters, I think a large factor is the sorts of movies that used to get wins (and had big box-office successes) aren't really made by the major studios any more. They're made by smaller companies and often don't have the budgets or marketing that big adult dramas had in the 80s and 90s because (1) it's too expensive to market that way now and (2) the studios aren't really in that game any more, they're in the tentpole business. 

Once in awhile, there are exceptions, but they tend to prove the rule.

That's a good analysis. 

This makes literally no sense to me. You're saying your ideals switch around because of Hollywood awards?

I think that, most honestly, I was a fake liberal. It's popular among kids so why not, went with the flow. But my heart may not have been really into it since undeserved BP win made me do 180. 

Edited by Valonqar

Can we all just agree that A24 is quickly taking over awards season? Last year they made their first splash with three movies getting nominated and all winning awards. This year they had the Best Picture winner. Fox Searchlight, Focus Features, etc. are all gonna have to really step up their games to get back into the race.

• Like 4

Just now, Valonqar said:

I haven't seen it, never said I have. I'm sure it's great and I've heard the context-wise it isn't political at all. More's the pity that it was made a political win because campaign throughout the season was that it must win to prove OscarsNotSoWhite and defy Trump. It was never let to speak for itself, which its supporters justify with that it would have never won had it not been made the most important political thing of the season. And that turns me off. I won't see it precisely because I'm told it's important to see it. Without that pressure, maybe. But not now. 

But that doesn't make any sense. Just because a movie can be important in political context doesn't it can't still be the best movie. I thought it was the best movie of the year, and I'm not just praising it for political reasons. Maybe see the movie before you say "they only won it because they're black!" That's completely unfair and hateful to the people who worked hard to make this movie. Maybe they just gave it because they thought it was the best? Why is that not even a possibility for you?

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

But that doesn't make any sense. Just because a movie can be important in political context doesn't it can't still be the best movie. I thought it was the best movie of the year, and I'm not just praising it for political reasons. Maybe see the movie before you say "they only won it because they're black!" That's completely unfair and hateful to the people who worked hard to make this movie. Maybe they just gave it because they thought it was the best? Why is that not even a possibility for you?

Look, I totally agree that I should see it and then disucss it. But I really don't want to because I don't want to support what led to its win. OscarsSoWhite were such a big deal that everyone was predicting a black movie to win, they just had sights on BOAN until the scandal. Then it became obvious it was going to be Moonlight cause it had gay content so easier to guilt-trip AMPAS due to BBM loss. It's all by design. I'm not supporting that.

Like I said, I do feel sorry for the movie that the political thing upstaged it but I also think it wouldn't have been such a big player without it. Not even close. 

I think Moonlight winning is rather showing how niche and art house the academy selections are getting, rather than the racial stuff. It was a decent art house piece, but to me it's victory shows the lack of competition meaning a disappointing year for non-franchise blockbusters.

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I think Moonlight winning is rather showing how niche and art house the academy selections are getting, rather than the racial stuff. It was a decent art house piece, but to me it's victory shows the lack of competition meaning a disappointing year for non-franchise blockbusters.

K.

Were there any non-franchise blockbusters in 2016? I can't remember.

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

K.

Were there any non-franchise blockbusters in 2016? I can't remember.

I thought every film with a wide release was a blockbuster?

My real point is to forget about all the superhero movies, big animation movies and sequels because they never get nominated for best picture.

Out of all the "possible" (at least for the academy) best picture selections there wasn't much competition.

Unrelated but I would put La La Land, Hacksaw and Arrival all above Moonlight.

i would say moonlight is a great winner even if it isn't my favourite of the nominees just bcos it's a so atypical one. i can't think of another best picture winner it resembles. matter of fact even though i don't love all of them the academy have gone for kinda esoteric picks the last few years and i respect them for it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Never heard that definition before.

my life is a lie.. so you're saying by standard definition on this forum there were only like 10 blockbusters? (2016)

Edited by IronJimbo

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

my life is a lie.. so you're saying by standard definition on this forum there were only like 10 blockbusters? (2016)

"Blockbuster" usually refers to a movie that makes a ton of money. Sometimes it's used (before release) to mean a movie that's really expensive. At least that's how the term is used here in the States. 

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 4