CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

There's a significant amount of backlash against him from a lot of lot of creative types I follow on Twitter. They don't doubt his talent, but they really don't appreciate his past issues (and lack of transparency or real contrition, or making amends such as is possible). I don't think he'll get blacklisted or anything, but he may have more trouble landing bigger parts than you might expect from a new Best Actor winner.

I don't think he'd get bigger parts anyway cause he's a charisma black hole. Good actor, and it's groundbreaking of AMPAS to finally award a subtle performance after decades of worst ham imaginable, but he isn't a leading man. Hollywood has already lost tons of money believing in Fassbender's non-existent star power, and Casey doesn't even look like a (fake) leading man.

That said, he's so well connected - brother Ben, cousin Matt, ex-brother-in-law Joaquin - that he'll be fine as a character actor assuming he doesn't get entangled in another scandal. Hollywood forgets eventually, just ask Josh Brolin. Even Disney wants him. 

Edited by Valonqar

4 hours ago, misafeco said:

First act was good, second was decent and I almost fell asleep during the third act. It was just boring. Also the movie was too American for me, it's hard to relate to the characters. Not necessarily the movie's fault, but it didn't resonate with me much.

This is how i feel about it as well. The third act is horrible imo and the editing of the film was horrible. It seemed like some scenes were spliced together using Scotch tape. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sam said:

I didn't give a damn whether Affleck dude wins (it was kinda worth it to see Brie once again being so done with the handing awards shit to him though. My girl :wub:

But that acceptance speech of him was terrible, it's like a rubbing it in the face to Denzel, no wonder he looked mad lol. 

I don't understand this post at all. How did he rub anything in Denzel's face? Actually thank him personally for teaching him about acting. I thought Casey's acceptance speech was really humble really well done.

• Like 2

Rob Lowe has got to be happy. His 1988 musical number with Snow White is no longer the single most embarrassing moment in Oscar History.

And, for the first time ever here I just put a user on ignore.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I think that saying the "Moonlight" should have won because it deals with "revelent" issues is silly. Films should be judged strictly on their merit as films.

On the other hand, I understand why giving the finger to Cheeto Mussolini was so tempting to Academy members.

For those of you who want the politics to go away, forget it. We in the US have entered on upon the most divisive and turbulent era in politics we have seen since the 1960's at least...and I might have to change that to the 1860's. It is going to color everything for quite a while.

I've noticed ever the last few months that Emma and Brie seemed to have become good friends and this seems to confirm it.

Brie posted this on her Instagram with the caption "

You know what's better than winning? Watching your friends win.

So Emma and JLaw are good friends, and now Emma and Brie. Could be a new Hollywood  girl power group in the making.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Incarnadine said:

I've noticed ever the last few months that Emma and Brie seemed to have become good friends and this seems to confirm it.

Brie posted this on her Instagram with the caption "

You know what's better than winning? Watching your friends win.

So Emma and JLaw are good friends, and now Emma and Brie. Could be a new Hollywood  girl power group in the making.

Weird how they are all so close considering they are supposed to be the next big actresses.

The accounting firm responsible for correctly tallying Academy Award winners says its team didn't move quickly enough to correct the incorrect announcement of the best picture winner at Sunday's Oscars.

PwC, formerly Price Waterhouse Coopers, says in a statement released Monday night that it accepts full responsibility for "the series of mistakes and breaches of established protocols."

The firm says partner Brian Cullinan mistakenly handed an envelope with the best actress winner to Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway, who were presenting the best picture honor. PwC says Cullinan and another partner responsible for the integrity of the winners did not correct the mistake quickly enough.

The statement apologizes to the cast of "La La Land," which was mistakenly announced as the winner before the correct winner, "Moonlight," was announced.

PwC takes full responsibility for the series of mistakes and breaches of established protocols during last night’s Oscars. PwC Partner Brian Cullinan mistakenly handed the back-up envelope for Actress in a Leading Role instead of the envelope for Best Picture to presenters Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway. Once the error occurred, protocols for correcting it were not followed through quickly enough by Mr. Cullinan or his partner.

We are deeply sorry for the disappointment suffered by the cast and crew of “La La Land” and “Moonlight.” We sincerely apologize to Warren Beatty, Faye Dunaway, Jimmy Kimmel, ABC, and the Academy, none of whom was at fault for last night’s errors. We wish to extend our deepest gratitude to each of them for the graciousness they displayed during such a difficult moment.

For the past 83 years, the Academy has entrusted PwC with the integrity of the awards process during the ceremony, and last night we failed the Academy.

10 hours ago, The Stingray said:

Exactly.

I'm sure Moonlight is a worthy winner, but to claim politics had absolutely nothing to do with its win seems very naive to me. The Oscars like to act like they're more important than they actually are.

Did a movie about a gay black guy win over a movie about 2 good looking young white people singing about how awesome Hollywood is because the Academy wanted to make a statement in the first year of the 1000 year Trumpenreich?  I don't know, maybe.  I haven't seen either one of them and don't plan to because neither appeal to me, Hell or High Water and Hacksaw Ridge were the only 2 nominees I've seen this year actually, the lowest number in a long time.

But politics generally rules the Oscars in one way or another.  If there is one thing I agree with George Lucas on its that the Oscars are politics(though he only believes that because the prequels and Red Tails were dog shit and is bitter).   Remember when a romantic comedy beat Spielberg's genre redefining masterpiece Saving Private Ryan that all war movies are still measured against to this day?  Thats because at the time Spielberg already won recently for Schindler's List.  FOTR and TTT didn't win because they felt like giving it to ROTK would be good enough.  The Artist won because the Academy wanted to tell people how cool black and white silent films once were even though film as an art form has dramatically evolved(for the better) since the 20s.  I don't like using the word pretentious very often but The Artist was definitely a pretentious win, you couldn't pay me to sit through a silent black and white film.   The Hurt Locker won because it was a weak year.  The Dark Knight didn't win because the Academy wasn't comfortable with the idea of giving BP to a CBM about a guy dressing up as a bat.

• Like 1

I love how every person not being Super Happy  with moonlight's win is now a racist 

Fellas it is not about the subject of controversy , it's about controversy it self . in the past years many many movies were awarded because they touched a "Hot Subject" where as more artistic movies were awarded mostly technical stuff . Argo , Spotlight , Hurt locker ,The Artist (old films were really cool thing ) , and now Moonlight are prime examples of this sort of behavior .

ever since the new voting system and the number of BP nominees increased truly artistic movies started losing to movies with sensitive subjects , if No country for old men , A Beautiful Mind , Slumdog Millionaire and Million dollar baby were to be nominated next year they would lose to a movie about elections and political corruption 

so please fellas stop it with the racist thing 

• Like 1