CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I can't believe I've never seen The Deer Hunter, Lawrence of Arabia, All About Eve, or Unforgiven, among highly regard BP winners. I feel like a movie heathen. I need to fix that this week. 

i've seen every best picture since i made a bit of a project of it in college. honestly those 4 are all probably in my top 10.

24 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

He still interacted with the 3 of the biggest monsters of the last 40 years.

fhd984TRM_Bill_Paxton_002.jpg

That's a massive difference than being the only one killed by them.

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

My annual post about how these red carpet interviews are cringeworthy. My goodness the amount of hot air and ass kissing...

lol i don't actually watch the red carpet. i'm just looking at the pictures on twitter and seeing who looks hot. taraji p henson so far.

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

i've seen every best picture since i made a bit of a project of it in college. honestly those 4 are all probably in my top 10.

I'm only asking because I saw it a couple of days ago, but what did you think of The Sting?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

I have a grudge against The Deer Hunter because its success made it so Apocalypse Now couldn't have its own Best Picture. Can't have two Vietnam War movies in a row.

Just now, AABATTERY said:

I'm only asking because I saw it a couple of days ago, but what did you think of The Sting?

love it. real fun ride. big redford/newman fan and the film just kinda glides along on their charisma and i can dig that even if butch and sundance is better.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Affleck vs Washington is a betting coin flip, I want everyone to say who they want/then who they think will win?

I'm going Washington/Washington.

Affleck/Affleck

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I need to get on it.

Also, the lineup in 1975 and 1976 :ohmygod: 1975 had One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Jaws, Barry Lyndon, and Dog Day Afternoon. 1976 had Rocky, Network, Taxi Driver, and All The President's Men. That is just a fucking murderer's row. Doubt we'll see two years in a row that loaded again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

Would you be surprised if Toni Erdmann wins? It's obviously pretty close on the betting odds. The others don't really have a chance.

I think Erdmann winning is one of the locks of the night, isn't it? I would love if my man Farhadi won another Oscar (even though he wouldn't be there to receive because Trump), but Erdmann is a fine winner, good movie overall even if a tad overlong.

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

I'm not confident in my prediction at all. The Oscars can get personal sometimes just as Russell Crowe. Washington could be due for another. There is no "deserves" in either case...

I'm not confident in mine either.  Especially after last years Oscar so white stuff.  Wouldn't surprise me if they gave it to Denzel for that very reason.  

3 minutes ago, AABATTERY said:

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

love it. real fun ride. big redford/newman fan and the film just kinda glides along on their charisma and i can dig that even if butch and sundance is better.

It's hard to pull off that ease and the sense that the whole movie is just effortless fun, especially since a lot of careful work is put into making sure the twist works and has a nice emotional payoff. 

• Like 1

the oscars kinda ruled in the 70s. i guess they had to because that was the decade of auteurs running shit. could you imagine Cries and Whispers or A Clockwork Orange getting best picture nominations today? towards the end of the decade you can see them kinda slip into nominating the cheeseball shit that dominated the oscars in the 80s though.