CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

Hardy was awesome, he made it watchable. But the movie was lousy, and more importantly, it was lousy (in large part) because of the direction. 

I enjoyed Safe House which is really the only movie I saw that he made. I am very confident in Life, and clearly, so is Sony.

I don't think there's even a mediocre winner of the movies that won from 1970s, though I haven't seen Deer Hunter, The Sting, or Kramer v. Kramer. What a fucking decade for movies. I usually strongly dislike "Movies/music/sports were way better back in the day! arguments, but I'm really sad I missed the 70s culture wise. 

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I need to get on it.

Also, the lineup in 1975 and 1976 :ohmygod: 1975 had One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Jaws, Barry Lyndon, and Dog Day Afternoon. 1976 had Rocky, Network, Taxi Driver, and All The President's Men. That is just a fucking murderer's row. Doubt we'll see two years in a row that loaded again.

'75 had the greatest lineup ever. And the weakest movie won lol. 

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

the oscars kinda ruled in the 70s. i guess they had to because that was the decade of auteurs running shit. could you imagine Cries and Whispers or A Clockwork Orange getting best picture nominations today? towards the end of the decade you can see them kinda slip into nominating the cheeseball shit that dominated the oscars in the 80s though.

If Amour was nominated recently I don't see why Cries and Whispers wouldn't. And if Clockwork was as huge a deal today as it was back then, I could definitely see that too. Wolf of Wall Street would probably be the best comparison out of recent nominees.

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

'75 had the greatest lineup ever. And the weakest movie won lol. 

If Amour was nominated recently I don't see why Cries and Whispers wouldn't. And if Clockwork was as huge a deal today as it was back then, I could definitely see that too. Wolf of Wall Street would probably be the best comparison out of recent nominees.

I don't know. 75 is epic but I gotta give it to 76. Rocky, Taxi Driver, All The President's Men, and Network are all in my top 50 movies ever. Greatest sports movie ever, a Marty masterpiece, one of the most important and great political films ever made.....and Network is somehow better than all of them, IMO. That's a murderer's row. Hard to argue against them not being the top two in some order, for sure. 

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Wait wait wait... so now you trust Sony? :lol: 

Yeah, they usually do a solid job. It is Paramount and LGF who are the Devil.

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

Dev Patel.

His god damn mane. FUCK THAT MAN

His Lion look is super hot.

Garfield's hair made it go from "generically attractive dude" to "generically attractive dude with cool hair." Patel's made him go from "Gangly awkward guy from Slumdog Millionaire" to "Holy SHIT what just happened??" Patel's wins. 

• Like 1