FlashMaster659

Mar 3-5 Weekend - Official Estimates - Logan 85.3m, Get Out 26.1m, Shack 16.1m, LEGO Bat 16.5, BIF 4.9m

Again, not taking Deadline for granted, but I comment on what I have.

Wow, that is one big increase from real Friday for Logan. Pretty much stayed flat. Totally echoing Dr. Strange's run so far, as it too stayed flat from a low 30's OD on Saturday. WOM seems quite favorable.

Pretty good for The Shack too. BIF looks like bombhouse on paper, but its budget was its OW gross so it's fine. Plus, when was the last time Open Road did a good distribution job? This is actually okay by their standards XD

But HOLY. GODDAMN. CRACKERS. 17% drop for Get Out?

b2e8Urg.gif

GREAT weekend, y'all.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 3

Wow, Get Out! It's on course to have the best legs of any horror movie in the past fifteen years (aka since The Rings in 2002). And this is coming just after Split which is also effortlessly going to get a multi above 3, again very rare for the genre. Does this mean that the belief that horror movies inherently have bad legs is flawed? Perhaps their poor legs was as a result of their perceived poor quality. Either way, that is truly a terrific hold for GO which all but locks $150m and makes $200m a (still somewhat farfetched, mind you) possibility.

I'm also wondering if, between this and Hidden Figures, movies tackling minority issues are going to get a "Trump" boost.

• Like 11

The Saturday number for both Logan and Get Out are terrific.  Saw Logan last night and loved it until the very end.  WTF lol.  As for Get Out, not only is it going to pass Split quite easily, it could very well challenge for 175.  I know you can insert the Pulp Fiction dick sucking gif here right now but for a horror film to fall less than 20% in it's second weekend, in these times where everything is available ion line, is quite ridiculous.  A buddy of mine saw it last night and he was shocked and confused as to why the audience clapped not once but twice during the film.  Legs are obviously going to be insane and going forward, what does it have for competition?  If it's falling this softly against a 90 million opener, then I doubt it gets hit much by Kong or Beauty and the Beast.  

The Shack opens well too.  Interesting release date for the Shack.  Lent started this week in the Catholic religion so I guess this was good time to release it.  The trailer never really looked all that intriguing to me but I do remember the book being on the best seller list for a long time.

The Zooey Deutch high school bullying/Groundhog Day take off....Before I Fall actually looks pretty interesting.  I will probably check it out sometime.  Too bad it had zero marketing.  I've noticed that with a lot of films that take place in high school.  Edge of Seventeen was pretty good as well but had no marketing.  Why make a movie if you are not going to promote it to at least give people a chance to know it's coming out?

Looks like Wick will fall short of 100 million but definitely get over 90.  Terrific result for Wick.  The first grossed less than 90 million WW so a nice bump for this one.

Saw Logan in the afternoon and then Fist Fight at night.  Fish Fight was pretty horrible up until the last 15 minutes.  Just absolutely ridiculous in so many ways.  

And just for the hell of it, check out this 80's video.  One of my fave tunes from the decade......so much fun.

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, baumer said:

The Saturday number for both Logan and Get Out are terrific.  Saw Logan last night and loved it until the very end.  WTF lol.  As for Get Out, not only is it going to pass Split quite easily, it could very well challenge for 175.  I know you can insert the Pulp Fiction dick sucking gif here right now but for a horror film to fall less than 20% in it's second weekend, in these times where everything is available ion line, is quite ridiculous.  A buddy of mine saw it last night and he was shocked and confused as to why the audience clapped not once but twice during the film.  Legs are obviously going to be insane and going forward, what does it have for competition?  If it's falling this softly against a 90 million opener, then I doubt it gets hit much by Kong or Beauty and the Beast.  

The Shack opens well too.  Interesting release date for the Shack.  Lent started this week in the Catholic religion so I guess this was good time to release it.  The trailer never really looked all that intriguing to me but I do remember the book being on the best seller list for a long time.

The Zooey Deutch high school bullying/Groundhog Day take off....Before I Fall actually looks pretty interesting.  I will probably check it out sometime.  Too bad it had zero marketing.  I've noticed that with a lot of films that take place in high school.  Edge of Seventeen was pretty good as well but had no marketing.  Why make a movie if you are not going to promote it to at least give people a chance to know it's coming out?

Looks like Wick will fall short of 100 million but definitely get over 90.  Terrific result for Wick.  The first grossed less than 90 million WW so a nice bump for this one.

Saw Logan in the afternoon and then Fist Fight at night.  Fish Fight was pretty horrible up until the last 15 minutes.  Just absolutely ridiculous in so many ways.  

And just for the hell of it, check out this 80's video.  One of my fave tunes from the decade......so much fun.

I agree with the Logan end. I was like.. WTF?!??!!??

But i also kind of liked that it was'ent a typical Hollywood happy end ending

Edited by fmpro
  • Like 1

@baumer Within the horror genre, it has zero competition for a while. Technically, Raw and The Belko Experiment are coming in April, but one of them is a limited release Green Room-style, and the other is Blumhouse Tilt, so, unless it's, like AMAZING (and it does have James Gunn's involvement as a potential draw), it's doing nothing. Beyond that, the next big horror movie is Alien: Covenant, all the way in late May. So, yeah, Get Out has, like, zero competition to look forward to.

And I thought Split's run was impressive. Hell, it WAS impressive. Very impressive. Just... nothing compared to THIS. BO event of the year, right here.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

Universal/Blumhouse’s Get Out also swelled on Saturday with a 47% gain over Friday for $11.75M and second weekend take of $27.7M, now poised to dip an astounding -17% for a 10-day running total of $77.6M.

unbelievable

• Like 2

That GO leg is amazing!!!! I would love to see 150+ horror/mystery. "Trump effect" definitely gives it a boost. But I also have the feeling that the fact that Logan is R-rated might contribute to this exceptionally strong hold.

Logan makes me wanna rewatch it. It nicely mixes the dramatic part into very intense action acts. Love it. I wish it would break all the X-Mens curse of frontloadedness and get as high as 300M.

• Like 2

Get Out is prime example of black magic, both critically acclaimed and box office phenomenon, but of course just like "Hidden Figures" it is bound to generate less than 50 Million gross outside US (It's only scheduled to open in like 4 countries, whereas "Split" was released in pretty much every country on FIRST WEEK)  and people wanna claim that US is the most racist country on earth when it is in fact the MOST tolerant country on earth right now (Madea's Halloween was #1 for 2 weeks (and managed to outgross a Tom Cruise blockbuster & Inferno), Hidden Figures outgrossing La La Land now Get Out outgrossing Split, so proud of US right now)

10 minutes ago, DAR said:

That is incredible for GO.  Horror films simply do not have drops like that.

Whats the last wide release film to fall less than 20% in second weekend?

I don't get why these X-Men movies has to be so/too much frontloaded to miss $300M and barely hit over $200-230M?

Do these X-Men-movies have to rely on the core X-Men fanbase/geekdom they have, instead of getting new & bigger audiences?

I mean, it feels like the X-Men movies barely have the big general audience bump that the MCU-movies or the Spider-Man movies have.

Then again....Deadpool made $363M DOM & $783M WW last year, but that film had more advantages.

Despite Days of Future Past having the best reception of the X-Men prequels....it couldn't even get to $250M DOM. :(

4 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

Get Out is prime example of black magic, both critically acclaimed and box office phenomenon, but of course just like "Hidden Figures" it is bound to generate less than 50 Million gross outside US (It's only scheduled to open in like 4 countries, whereas "Split" was released in pretty much every country on FIRST WEEK)  and people wanna claim that US is the most racist country on earth when it is in fact the MOST tolerant country on earth right now (Madea's Halloween was #1 for 2 weeks (and managed to outgross a Tom Cruise blockbuster & Inferno), Hidden Figures outgrossing La La Land now Get Out outgrossing Split, so proud of US right now)

Just because you don't have interest  movies that are at least on paper aimed at a black audience doesn't make you racist. You can't say that just because France and Germany and Australia and Russia and insert any other country here, doesn't necessarily have an interest in films like get out that is not the same as being racist. And not to get overly political here but the United States is not nearly as tolerance as Canada is when it comes to different races.

• Like 5

Just now, baumer said:

Just because you don't have interest  movies that are at least on paper aimed at a black audience doesn't make you racist. You can't say that just because France and Germany and Australia and Russia and insert any other country here, doesn't necessarily have an interest in films like get out that is not the same as being racist. And not to get overly political here but the United States is not nearly as tolerance as Canada is when it comes to different races.

Why are you labeling "Get Out", "Hidden Figures" and "Madea's Halloween" as "black movies" in first place? What makes "Split" or "La La Land" or any generic random movie with white lead any more universally appealing that those movies that I've mentioned?  that statement ALONE is racist

• Like 3