grim22

Samson | Feb 16 2018 | Pureflix | Biblical story after all

I have a feeling this will be exemplary among faith-based films quality-wise, but its release date (2/16/18?! Up against Black Panther?!) leaves something to be desired to say the least.

I'll be praying for it. I'm sure I'm not the only one that will be praying for this to succeed, but the odds are against it unless Pure Flix is trying to make this a counterprogrammer.

I believe that God's done great things through the box office (Passion of the Christ, War Room), so we'll see what happens.

As a Christian, it's kind of awesome to see a smaller Christian film go up against a worldly film enterprise/juggernaut such as Marvel Studios.

Are we about to witness film history's David and Goliath moment?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Feel like there was more buzz for the Black Panther trailer.

Are you saying PokemonBro Ninja is lying?

Yes finally!!😄😄 😇😇❤❤❤❤👍👍👍👍👍 Samson is my favorite story of the BIBLE. I am going to see this movie on OPENING DAY. Who is going to come out join me in supporting our Faith with this movie. Let's show how Powerfull Our God is and How He is Still Alive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I don't know how to feel about this. I'm not Christian, nor am I religious person at all. But I really do enjoy historical epics, and I have enjoyed Christian-centered films before (really liked Heaven is for Real for example, and I enjoyed Risen enough). 

Biblical stories provide material for some truly great historical epics, if they are done right. I thought Exodus Gods and Kings came close to reaching that level of greatness, if not for some awkward pacing and hollow characterization from Scott. If the production value is good enough, I can get immersed in these kids of stories.

What worries me is that the budget looks awfully low for this. While Risen had some shoddy staging and costumes, this looks like Legend of Hercules production-wise. Like I said, I don't know, @slambros once I see a better trailer, I can try rooting for it from a "historical epic" standpoint. 

• Like 1

Regardless if one is Christian or Jewish for that matter the one thing most scholars don't debate is that the Bible is a historical account of the Jewish people. It's a compilation of spoken history and genealogies transcribed. Whether you believe some events are touched by God or just hyperbole is irrelevant.

The story of Samson is not much different than other cultures heroes. It's still debated if King Arthur was real or just fiction and yet we still see films about him in a historical context. Samson is a historical film and to my knowledge no one debates if he was real or not. 

I also saw Risen and enjoyed that for what it was but never would've paid $12 to see it. I don't get a great sense of cinematography in this as yet. The costuming looks pretty solid. It's not beating Black Panther, it will not challenge it either, that's a laughable comment. 

I'll watch this eventually. Hope it does well enough. I could go for a Daniel and the Lions Den film with his 3 Amigo buddies in tow. 

• Like 1