DAJK

Weekend Estimates: Kong 61M, Logan 37.8M, Get Out 21M, Shack 10M, Lego Batman 7.8M

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Truly a monumental run.  TFA-level performance.

As someone who saw it (and I can verify at least one other person in North America has seen it - he was also in my showing), it deserved every penny it earned.

I'm with @Barnack on this. Market share is the way to go if you're trying to compare performance of two films widely separated (more than 5 years or so) in time. Over the past 15 years or so, CPI would do a better job than estimated admissions, but even that underestimates the extent that box office admissions have fallen. As a share of the US economy, gross box office was about 0.08% of GDP in 2002, and only about 0.06% of GDP in 2015. Admissions in that time period fell 16%, even as the US population increased by ~12%.

Here's a comparison of the films that started this discussion, adjusted by ticket price inflation ("TPI", figures from BOM), consumer price index ("CPI), and market share ("MS").

Title Year Dom TPI CPI MS
Iron Man 2008 $318.4 $384 $355 $376
Iron Man 3 2013 $409.0 $422 $421 $426
Spider-Man 2002 $403.7 $601 $539 $502
Spider-Man 2 2004 $373.6 $520 $475 $453
Spider-Man 3 2007 $336.5 $423 $390 $396

Adjusting by ticket price inflation results in larger figures than CPI or market share, except for the most recent film on the list, where the figures are similar. The figures estimated using CPI or market share are more similar, but even so, CPI is producing a notably larger figure for the earliest film on the list.

Edit: Market share really ought to be reported as a %, but I reported it as a dollar figure to make the values easy to compare.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, the128boy said:

Some might say that the audiences don' t overlap, but I think BatB is going to totally cut the legs of Kong next week.

Even with a 55m debut, could it even make it to 135?

55 would likely take to around 125-130 depending on legs. There are a lot of big movies in March though. Many deal with fantasy and adventure. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, the128boy said:

Some might say that the audiences don' t overlap, but I think BatB is going to totally cut the legs of Kong next week.

Even with a 55m debut, could it even make it to 135?

:welcome:

And possibly. There's a ton of competition, but word-of-mouth is strong, and it could be a good second-choice pick for people whose taste isn't for Beaury and the Beast. 

Overseas is where it's at, though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ACSlater said:

First of all, welcome to thunderdome...

Now for the line above, I will let my future wife respond...

giphy.gif

I've got a plan for you. Time to start that specialty private equity company, 5 Rings Entertainment. Come out to LA and produce a few arty, classy movies (at least one from an ancient Greek dude). Ms Larson will become attracted to this new dashing, fascinating, mysterious figure on the entertainment scene. Then you cast her in a picture and you've got the inside track. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I've got a plan for you. Time to start that specialty private equity company, 5 Rings Entertainment. Come out to LA and produce a few arty, classy movies (at least one from an ancient Greek dude). Ms Larson will become attracted to this new dashing, fascinating, mysterious figure on the entertainment scene. Then you cast her in a picture and you've got the inside track. 

Sadly for @ACSlater, she's engaged.

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Are you sure you were doing curls?

I was lifting weights yesterday before I took a shower. I'm tempted to post a meme with some chicks drunk(I'm drunk, they're sober)on here, but I gotta respect privacy on there part(as well as mine).

Edited by Maxmoser3

11 minutes ago, Frozen said:

55 would likely take to around 125-130 depending on legs. There are a lot of big movies in March though. Many deal with fantasy and adventure. 

This March is bananas. GotG2 is going to be massive after the April GA withdrawls.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

We joke but let my f*cking exile to Elba end...

I totally want to bounce a few ideas off of you...and PE maybe fun but too weak...I have some ideas on that end...

• Like 1