DAJK

Weekend Estimates: Kong 61M, Logan 37.8M, Get Out 21M, Shack 10M, Lego Batman 7.8M

9 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

March 31st would have given Kong 2 weeks until Furious.  Even a week after Furious on the 21st and two weeks before GOTG would have been better for it than sandwiched between Logan and Beast.

In retrospect maybe, but I don't think that was clear when these dates were getting staked out.

Also, I know the jury is still out on Power Rangers, Life, and Ghost In The Shell, but it would still have had to contend with those. And speaking of Life, not sure why, but it actually shifted here from late May release originally. I think that speaks to the fact that the studios didn't originally expect Logan and BatB to be quite as dominant this month.

F8 is also still a ways out. Could always drop bigger than expected when it gets here. I bet there will be a big last minute marketing push.

Edited by the128boy

24 minutes ago, the128boy said:

April would have had room, especially if Fast 8 was a week earlier. But the way things were when these films were getting scheduled, the safe bet was to go up against one another rather than try to breathe between F8 and GotG.

So the studios have learned nothing since December 2005 when The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe and Peter Jackson's King Kong movie opened within a week of each other.

Edited by Outrageous!
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, the128boy said:

And speaking of Life, not sure why, but it actually shifted here from late May release originally. I think that speaks to the fact that the studios didn't originally expect Logan and BatB to be quite as dominant this month.

Alien releases in May

Edited by Alli
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Outrageous! said:

So the studios have learned nothing since December 2005 when The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe and Peter Jackson's King Kong movie opened within a week of each other.

But March doesn't behave like the holidays. Totally different release pattern and legs. Too much depends on that first weekend outside December.

26 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

I think March is too crammed, they would have spread some of these movies out a bit, they're cannibalising each other a bit.

7 minutes ago, Alli said:

April is so weak. Besides F8 i see nothing making over 100M.  Missed opportunity for Kong

I agree. Kong should have avoided getting sandwiched between Logan & Disney. What made them think that March was suddenly summer? It seems that they were desperate to avoid opening a week before or after F8. They were also desperate to avoid opening one week before Guardians Vol. 2 Still, they got pretty crammed. I think that they feel they can counter-program B&B (which they probably view as a girly/family movie) along with a week older Logan. Slating films is always difficult. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PPZVGOS said:

I agree. Kong should have avoided getting sandwiched between Logan & Disney. What made them think that March was suddenly summer? It seems that they were desperate to avoid opening a week before or after F8. They were also desperate to avoid opening one week before Guardians Vol. 2 Still, they got pretty crammed. I think that they feel they can counter-program B&B (which they probably view as a girly/family movie) along with a week older Logan. Slating films is always difficult. 

Exactly. Everyone has skin in the game in March. They all figured someone would take a hit, but hoped it wouldn't be them.

No one felt confident enough to go up against even a diminished F8. Lets be honest, even if F8 drops a third of its audience, it will be the second biggest film of the year (presumably) up to that point after BatB.

48 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

More lies lol. It's not a good quality. You guys are the ones getting bent out of shape because of the truth. It seems like the loonies from TK are the only ones getting pissed off, but then again you couldn't be honest with yourselves even if your life depended on it. 

aa280d74e6ace43b21341127eec2e1c3.gif

• Like 1

Get Out is going to be the movie we talk about when people say that small-scale cinema is dead. It's so awesome to see an old-school run like this, where a movie can be obscenely leggy and make a ton of money solely through terrific word-of-mouth.

Sure, runs like TFA and BatB are fun to watch, but there's something about watching your expectations being utterly decimated that's just awesome.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Mulder said:

M8 you're biased against the Monsterverse it's not hard to tell based on your post history here.

I state my opinions, since when was that frowned upon? This place isn't TK, there is room for critiques in a fandom you know.

1 minute ago, Bishop54 said:

I state my opinions, since when was that frowned upon? This place isn't TK, there is room for critiques in a fandom you know.

How can you "critique" box office?