DAJK

Weekend Estimates: Kong 61M, Logan 37.8M, Get Out 21M, Shack 10M, Lego Batman 7.8M

20 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

And some people think RT/critics have no power to influence the Box Office.....

It obviously does. RT has a lot of power I know so many people who check the RT score before they go see a movie. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ban1o said:

It obviously does. RT has a lot of power I know so many people who check the RT score before they go see a movie. 

Oh I'm very aware it does lol. That's why it's always amusing to see fans of certain franchises say "Fuck these pretentious critics! Their words mean nothing to the GA!" if bad reviews come in.

There are so many examples of RT/critics having some sort of sway on opening weekends, yet they stay in denial...it's funny.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Oh I'm very aware it does lol. That's why it's always amusing to see fans of certain franchises say "Fuck these pretentious critics! Their words mean nothing to the GA!" if bad reviews come in.

There are so many examples of RT/critics having some sort of sway on opening weekends, yet they stay in denial...it's funny.

BOT:

1laaoy.jpg

You could also swap out RT for Deadline when the initial #s are good

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

It's fanboy insecurity and nothing more. No one cares if some knockoff thriller in September gets a shitty RT score. 

Funnily enough, this forum has a preponderance of fanboys. Coincidence?

:thinking:

30 minutes ago, AABATTERY said:

I hope Kong can go up a few million with actuals so it can beat :apocalypse:.

One last monkey dump on the X-Men franchise. :ph34r:

It would actually need decent legs though.

6 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

It's fanboy insecurity and nothing more. No one cares if some knockoff thriller in September gets a shitty RT score. 

Yep, I'll be the first to admit Kongs box office was helped a lot by the reviews (and it was in my top 10 anticipated 2017 list). If it was in the 30s on RT right now, it wouldn't have opened this way. I probably still would have seen it in theaters but would have went in with way lower expectations. I'm not willing to give anything a pass just because I'm a fan of it or am hyped for it.

I'm really excited for the upcoming POTC but I already know it's box office is going highly depend on RT. If they say it's a return to form like Black Pearl then it's going to do a lot better then it would have.

Some movies are critic proof to a point but you can bet that if those movies did somehow get good reviews (like the Transformers sequels) it would still have an impact.

• Like 1

The attacks on RT miss what real benefits the site provides. I might not have gone out of my way to see something like Room or Hell or High Water if I didn't know they were getting excellent critical praise. Whatever mediocre blockbusters people want to stan for is their business, but I sure appreciate the site for making it easier to discover more obscure films worth seeing.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

The attacks on RT really do miss what real benefits the site provides. I might not have gone out of my way to see something like Room or Hell or High Water if I didn't know they were getting excellent critical praise. Whatever mediocre blockbusters people want to stan for is their business, but I sure appreciate the site for making it easier to discover more obscure films worth seeing.

The problem is that RT just shows how many people gave it positive vs negative. A movie can have an average rating of 6/10 (decent, but not great), and still have like 80+%

It's good if you want to see movies that are at least decent, though.

Metacritic is better if you want to see which movie has high ratings.

• Like 1

RT might have some influence, but so many other factors contribute and are even more influential. Certainly there are people who wait until they see an RT score before they watch a movie, but RT scores do no necessarily correlate with Box Office. Even with RT scores over 90, Lego Batman will not reach 200m and Logan will just get across. BatB with under 70 has the potential to make more than LB and Logan combined. I guess you could argue that an RT score of 91 or 92 isn't comparable to 99, but 97% Mad Max Fury Road was down to 14m by its third weekend and only got somewhat past 150m. One could argue Mad Max's performance against competition, not even taking 1st place in its first weekend due to losing out to 65% Pitch Perfect 2, then losing out to 50% Tomorrowland the following week and finally losing out to 48% San Andreas in its third week. San Andreas, btw, achieved a higher DOM and WW than Mad Max!

Yes, RT has an effect. The argument is that RT's effect is overestimated by too many. Also, that whatever effect that RT has, it's a damaging one.

• Like 1

Just now, franfar said:

The problem is that RT just shows how many people gave it positive vs negative. A movie can have an average rating of 6/10 (decent, but not great), and still have like 80+%

It's good if you want to see movies that are at least decent, though.

Metacritic is better if you want to see which movie has high ratings.

I do pay attention to the average rating a lot more, and RT has a much bigger sample than Metacritic. I concede that they don't make it very easy to filter films that way, though. Especially annoying that they don't even have it on their mobile site.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Yes, RT has an effect. The argument is that RT's effect is overestimated by too many. Also, that whatever effect that RT has, it's a damaging one.

I think RT acts more as a rough numerical estimate of word-of-mouth than as an influence in itself (at least in the case of blockbusters), though I certainly disagree that it's damaging. 

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 3

You know what's a good way to figure out if a movie is good? Look at the trailer. Check out the previous performance of some of the cast. Read what it's about. Read an interview or some articles. And, back in the day, READ WHAT A GOOD CRITIC has to say about it. The number on RT is an accumulation of opinions that sometimes just bandwagon snowballs. Fancyhair.com gives a movie better praise or harsher criticism for the lead actors hairstyle and studentsedge spoils the whole movie in its review that's summed up as good or bad depending on if the reviewer had bladder issues during his viewing...Considering that people have different backgrounds and different tastes, each movie should have varying impact on you that should be considerably different from any critic. The worst part about RT is that it influences an audience's mindset prior to their movie experience. RT says its good? You automatically forgive many flaws in a film, probably not even noticing it because you went into the movie deciding it was already good. RT says its bad? You become hypersensitive to all its flaws. Also, as some have already pointed out, RT is actually a measure of a percentage of how many people find a movie to be okay enough not to give it a rotten tomato. What's more interesting is to see the films that have mid-level percentages, with average ratings above "fresh" films, and strikingly different audience ratings.

• Like 5