franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

18 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Jeeeesus this board is a buzzkill. It comes out to very strong reception and you guys are somehow trying to spin it as a bad thing.

Who exactly are the people spinning it "as a bad thing"?  One poster?  Most everyone else is looking at the plusses and minuses and even @TwoMisfits isn't all that negative about it and is more raising a concern than anything else.

• Like 12

21 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Who exactly are the people spinning it "as a bad thing"?  One poster?  Most everyone else is looking at the plusses and minuses and even @TwoMisfits isn't all that negative about it and is more raising a concern than anything else.

This and the early screenings are being taken as desperation for some reason instead of what it clearly is, confidence in the films quality.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

This and the early screenings are being taken as desperation for some reason instead of what it clearly is, confidence in the films quality.

You say "taken as desperation", I say "realizing that pre-sales are anemic as fuck and deciding to try to do something about it".

To-MAY-toe, To-mah-TOE.

===

Look, pre-sales are pretty terrible right now.  I won't say this is nearly an objective fact, as it is indeed all relative (as you've pointed out on numerous occasions).  But for an MCU film of this renown, pre-sales are.... Pretty bad. Unexpectedly low if you want to be more precise.   

It's not hard to make a connection between unexpectedly weak pre-sales and Disney deciding to try to do something about it.  

It is also a sign of confidence, sure.  But this is a... ***BOX OFFICE*** discussion forum, so naturally we're gonna talk about the box office implications of such moves.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Idk imo this place can definitely get toxic around releases but if that's not your thing, it's healthier to just leave until you feel up for it instead of arguing with people, especially since some of it is just genuine discussion about the state of franchises' box office aka the point of here.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Did you just blank out the month of "Wakanda Forever is gonna bomb because Bosemans dead" leading up to release 

I must have, because I don't remember a single post saying BP2 "would bomb" because of Boseman's tragic passing.  Maybe there were a few, but they were tuned out by Yours Truly as being un-serious.

What was said was that it wouldn't come close to BP1 for multiple reasons, one of which was indeed Boseman sadly no longer being with us.

And lo and behold, so it was.

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Did you just blank out the month of "Wakanda Forever is gonna bomb because Bosemans dead" leading up to release 

Maybe, because from what i remember most people was expecting good numbers for it, better than it did actually, most people thought 900M would happen. Perhaps you give too much credit to a few people trolling and then think everyone who pointed out something not going so well is hating on it, but we´re in a box office forum, discussing this type of things is part of what we do here, most people aren´t hating anything or hoping things to fail.

Idk man, i get this discussions can get into a toxic thing but honestly, in this thread for the past hours everyone is being completely normal about it, but you´re spinning things as if we´re laughing at the marketing and mocking the movie, we´re not, i´m pretty sure almost everyone here are rooting for it.

Yes they are confident in the movie otherwise they would hide it, but they can be confident and using that to avoid a bad OW which is what it´s looking like right now, these things don´t erase each other. Saying it´s a bit desperate [the TV spot using french reactions is a bit desperate indeed come on] isn´t the same of saying they aren´t confident or that they shouldn´t do it, they definitely should, we want this to succeed, if they have to look desperate to convince people is good, so be it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Disney and Marvel having confidence in the film is not mutually exclusive from also realizing that they gotta step up the promotion for the film. I’m pretty sure the reactions embargo was supposed to drop with the premiere this coming Thursday (with reviews the next day), but now it seems like reactions are good to drop now. 

Which is not a bad thing! It’s actually quite good. But as Porthos said, it’s also is a sign that the studio is realizing everything isn’t peaches and they gotta get that good buzz coming quickly cause they got less than two weeks to avoid headlines like “Guardians opens lower than Ant-Man” or god forbid “Guardians has lowest opening of the series.”

Edited by AMC Theaters Enjoyer
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comments/12vlil2/guardians_of_the_galaxy_3_reviews_critics_reveal/jhc0c55/?context=3

Someone on r/boxoffice claims to have seen it:

"I’ve seen it. It’s dark. Very dark."

"I’m not a diehard Marvel fan. I work in the industry and was able to attend the Paris premiere. I’ve casually watched most of the MCU movies though. Compared to what they’ve been putting out lately I’d rate it one of the much better ones. But I also have the controversial opinions that I thought No Way Home, Wakanda Forever and Multiverse of Madness were each complete bores, but I enjoyed Love & Thunder.

I was expecting something light like the last two GG but that’s not what it is. I think people will like it? But don’t go into it expecting that feel good comedy tone of the first one. It’s a dark space opera."

this is a good move ! secret invasion , captain America 4, thunderbolts all looks like darker toned than usual marvel ! they have to change the tone once in a while specially in last few yrs they got heavily criticized nd trolled for comedy ! they can't do the same thing forever it will make the audience uninterested ! 

42 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Looks pretty much desperate. If they're going that far, then just let critics post their reviews on RT already, so they hopefully see better presales.

The timing of when an embargo lifts is 100% a marketing strategy. Too late and people get weary. Too early and buzz dies down before your film releases. The marketing team at Marvel is one of the best in the world (they wouldn't still be at Marvel if they weren't lol) I'm confident they know what they're doing with the embargo they've set. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

The timing of when an embargo lifts is 100% a marketing strategy. Too late and people get weary. Too early and buzz dies down before your film releases. The marketing team at Marvel is one of the best in the world (they wouldn't still be at Marvel if they weren't lol) I'm confident they know what they're doing with the embargo they've set. 

They better know what they're doing, lol. If reviews are indeed great, allowing critics to post on RT won't hurt at all. If presales aren't that good, then good reviews won't hurt them for sure.

We'll see.

I also have nightmares about fan screenings. I remember how Fan4stic also had them. I still remember when Ludacris said he was proud of Michael Jordan in that movie. XD

• Haha 1

For all the talk about how Marvel is too goofy and doesn’t take anything seriously, the Multiverse Saga has actually felt pretty dour to me, at least on the movie side. We’ve had movies like Eternals and WF, a Spider-Man movie with an ending that’s a lot more bitter than sweet, a Doctor Strange movie where a former hero becomes a villain, and even L&T, despite the goofy jokes, has some serious tonal whiplash. 

• Like 3

I mentioned before (forget if it was this thread or another) that I was worried that releasing the reactions for Guardians next Thursday could backfire if Flash gets a ton of buzz outta CinemaCon. So that Marvel and Disney are now doing the reactions now and first is a great move and they can keep the narrative going towards Guardians first. 

14 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I'm trying to be optimistic, but:

The first wave of reviews for Thor 4 were very positive, with very few being mixed. We all know what happened after the movie got released.

reviews was released only 48 hours before previews tho, Guardians will drop a full week before 

beyond that, there´s no real comparisson here, some people did love L&T, it just wasn´t a consensus like it´s ideal for MCU because some people absolutely despise it , doesn´t mean it will happen here 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mulder said:

Idk imo this place can definitely get toxic around releases but if that's not your thing, it's healthier to just leave until you feel up for it instead of arguing with people, especially since some of it is just genuine discussion about the state of franchises' box office aka the point of here.

And again we wonder why the forum doesn't attract many new members. 😂 It was really different many years back. I've just realized, comic book movies weren't very big then and toxic fandoms were almost non-existent.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

And again we wonder why the forum doesn't attract many new members. 😂 It was really different many years back. I've just realized, comic book movies weren't very big then and toxic fandoms were almost non-existent.

I was around back in 2014 and imo it was kind of the same as now. Not quite the same, but it was similar in a lot of ways.