franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

I think movie works. Easily the best since Endgame as some of the reviews put. More emotional than previous 2 for sure. That said I can understand some the criticism. Still I think audience reaction will be good. My screening obviously with mostly Marvel fans laughed at all the jokes and clapped at the end.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think movie works. Easily the best since Endgame as some of the reviews put. More emotional than previous 2 for sure. That said I can understand some the criticism. Still I think audience reaction will be good. My screening obviously with mostly Marvel fans laughed at all the jokes and clapped at the end.

I'm so fed up with the whole "since endgame" thing. Shang Chi is legitimately one of the most acclaimed cbms in the past 5 hears and so is nwh.  Both of those came after endgame

7 minutes ago, Jeight said:

I'm so fed up with the whole "since endgame" thing. Shang Chi is legitimately one of the most acclaimed cbms in the past 5 hears and so is nwh.  Both of those came after endgame

Yeah so saying this is better than SC and NWH is actually meaningful

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Will end up in 80-85 it seems. This is as good as RT one can expect for a CBM like this now, another lesson to not trust reactions blindly lol.

The cinema score and RT verified audience rating will tell us who we shouldn't follow blindly: easily pleased fanboys or out of touch critics.

I mean it could still end up in like high 80s or mid 70s, which are pretty different scenarios. This isn’t very discordant with the reactions at all, which included some more mentioning of negatives in the later posted batches.

There is undeniably a certain level of critic fatigue towards the genre and especially towards the CGI scale of it. 

The problem is you can't do most of these properties properly without tones of CGI.  Only a handful of grounded heroes can be done with little CGI.  Daredevil,  punisher,  batman,  question, maybe like cage and iron fist. You can't do Thor,  fantastic 4, ghost rider,  Avengers, Spiderman with a scale like Batman.  Its not possible

• Like 1

Movies like GotG3 and Endgame are love letters to the fans.

So fanboy reactions are more valuable. 

Something like Iron Man and Avengers were launching pads and needed the broadest appeal possible.

So the general critic's opinion is more valuable.

Edited by grey ghost

4 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Thinking the social media buzz that comes out of your screening and the other screenings last night will be positive enough help boost sales late? 

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Movies like GotG3 and Endgame are love letters to the fans.

So fanboy reactions are more valuable. 

Something like Iron Man and Avengers were launching pads and needed the broadest appeal possible.

So the general critic's opinion is more valuable.

Sorry but no 200+ million blockbuster is a love letter to the fans. They are meant to the broadest audience movies possible. 

Metacritic is 68 from 37 critics which is slightly above Vol 2's finale 67 rating. first movie had 76. 

Tomatometer is 82% and 7.2 average from 93 reviews. Vol 2 edned with 85% and 7.3 average. first movie had 92% and 7.8 average.

So it's safe to say that reception is about as good as Vol 2. Final scores cound go O/U it but won't reach first movie levels. Good enough, I guess. 

Critics are irrelevant for the boxoffice of movies with built in fandom. They didn't like Mario while audience loved it and the movie broke out of its core fandom to become a 4 quad. They loved D&D but the audience simply didn't care for the concept despite critical praise and WOM from those who saw it.

Edited by Valonqar

9 minutes ago, Jeight said:

Sorry but no 200+ million blockbuster is a love letter to the fans. They are meant to the broadest audience movies possible. 

Endgame absolutely was a love letter to the fans. (Think of the time travel scenes and the third act).

It just so happens MCU had alot fans back then.

• Like 1