Dementeleus

Beauty and the Beast (2017)

Beauty and the Beast (2017)  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

Boo, "Evermore" is great.

I trust you guys, Menkin is amazing, Ill go back and listen to it. They weren't bad songs, they just held up the main trust of the plot I felt. If that ones great, then I probably don't have a problem with it. taking out only 2 new songs might make me like the other ones more. 

If theres one thing you learn in editing/filmmaking its that you could have 10 issues you say you wanna fix in the cut. Well by fixing 3 of the 10, you might have fixed the 7 others. 

• Like 1

Whoa. This was one goofy movie. Felt like I was watching a parody at times.  I mean they actually put a dog pissing joke during the transformation scene. And I couldn't help but laugh at the bad CGI doubles of Beast and Gaston jumping around at the end 

Definitely inferior to the 1991 animated version 

still

kind of fun though. Loved Evans as Gaston

I enjoyed it. Solid B, however I don't feel like telling why. I'm tired and want to go to sleep. If you are going to complain about me not giving it a review, here's what you do.... Close all of your browsers, turn your computer off...... and just don't go on the internet anymore.

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎06 at 5:18 AM, Goffe said:

I feel hopeless and depressed. Truly a soul-sucking experience.

6 hours ago, Noctis said:

Grow a pair, you fucking pansy.

Why am i not surprised that Goffe does/will automatically hate every new blockbuster that comes out, no matter how much it grosses? It just makes no sense. He keeps having the nearly same opinion, which in this case.....dislike a well-praised movie that he thinks is overrated.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

I've seen it and yeah......it's really a very great movie.

The new songs are pretty good additions, the old songs are cleverly handled in this version and the characters are enjoyable. Particularly Emma Watson as Belle.

And i even think the Beast himself looks pretty good. I don't know if it was handled by motion capture or not, but it is in a similar vain as Davy Jones from the POTC-films & Caesar from the new Planet of the Apes-films.

One of the best Disney live action-remakes along with last year's The Jungle Book.

A

This movie managed some quite impressive feats. Parts that were frame-for-frame remade of scenes from the original managed to be listless and devoid of charms. While parts that were new seem to be added in with the sole purpose of reaching a runtime quota.

Quite unfortunate that one of the best Disney classic animations has the worst live adaptation among the bunch done in recent years. It offered little of the magical charms that were effortlessly abundant in Cinderella. If that was asking for too much, then maybe just be trashy fun like Maleficent would already be enough really, but nope, this version of BATB didn't fare much better on that front either.

• Like 1

Beauty and the Beast is a fun nostalgia trip, but there’s not much else to it. It becomes abundantly clear rather quickly that the story fits animation much better than live-action, but this remake at least has a good sense of fun. The musical numbers are unfortunately staged merely adequately, and the singing quality of the cast leaves much to be desired.

Luke Evans and Josh Gad steal the show, although they are greatly helped by always being in live action [musical numbers starring primarily CGI characters tend come off uglier than anything else in this (alright, besides “Be Our Guest,” because that one embraces the sheer surrealism the bad CGI can take on)] and actually having strong singing voices. Dan Stevens is also excellent as the Beast, delivering a very soulful performance behind all the motion-capture. His added song, “Evermore,” along with the more fleshed-out Gaston and LeFou relationship, is the only great addition to the film, with other attempts to flesh the story end up being more forgettable at their best and annoying waste of times at their worst.

To get into more negative notes, Emma Watson as Belle is downright awful. She cannot sing, ruining the soundtrack with more autotuned than anyone else and she never really becomes Belle; unlike Evans and Stevens who treat their lead roles with the cartoon care they deserve. The enchanted objects are all fine, but with their absolutely ugly art design, every scene with them is left with waiting to cut back to Gaston and LeFou, or even the Beast. The Beast looks incredible as a CGI creature, which makes the enchanted objects all the more disappointing.

Overall though, it’s clear the main problem with Beauty and the Beast is that you cannot improve on the original, unlike other recent Disney live-action adaptations. It’s a joy to listen to all these songs on the big screen, and see a few of the numbers re-imagined in live action, but you might be left wondering what the point of it all is. All this said though, Beauty and the Beast is still an immensely enjoyable film that really utilizes the fun in nostalgia. There might not be much more to it than that, but that’s fine enough for this go-around. B

• Like 1