efialtes76

Weekend Estimates

I was originally thinking 28m for Star Wars (about 3-4 months back) but 23m is still a very good number, which is good only because it means ANH will eventually come out, but really the entire prequel trilogy is meh with ROTS being abhorrent.

A couple of months ago. The majority thought that SW3D would win (I actually had it at 2nd place just behind Journey 2). Almost nobody had them behind The Vow and Safe House.

So everyone thought SW would open higher than 25 mill? I don't remember that. I think many people had SW at 20-25 mill before the Fandango number came out. Denzel movies always open higher than 20 mill and if you look at other Sparks films, they too open higher than 20 mill. so maybe I wasn't paying attention but I don't remember anyone saying SW would win the weekend. Guru had it 3rd.

So everyone thought SW would open higher than 25 mill? I don't remember that. I think many people had SW at 20-25 mill before the Fandango number came out. Denzel movies always open higher than 20 mill and if you look at other Sparks films, they too open higher than 20 mill. so maybe I wasn't paying attention but I don't remember anyone saying SW would win the weekend. Guru had it 3rd.

Not really. People just had it winning the weekend with Safe House and The Vow at lows 20 and Star Wars at mid 20s.

It's still making more than it deserves to.

Amazing weekend! I would never have believed two movies like the vow and safe house could open in February and both make $40m ow! Journey 2's sat jump is really impressive and TPM is a good opening (especially considering it's dislike by the majority of its fan base). I never saw it this weekend as I planned as me and my friends came to our senses and realized paying $15 for a bad 3D conversion of a bad/so-so prequel wasn't worth it (especially since we could just watch it on blu-ray now).Also, Baumer, I think you're way off about The Artist. Just because you don't appreciate it and understand its appeal, that doesn't make it a bad movie (in no way is it a 0/10, even if you don't like it), it's more of a you problem, not a problem with the movie (I don't mean that harshly, just not sure how else to word it). For example, I had a friend in school who hated calculus and said it was terrible because he wasn't good at it and failed the class. But it doesn't mean calculus is terrible just because he didn't get it and didn't like it, etc. Edited by FTF

The Artist is a good movie, but come on, what theater even wants to show a black and white silent film today? They should wait until after it wins Best Picture to expand it some more. Incredible weekend. Even Journey exceeded all expectations. Slightly disappointing number for Star Wars, I would have expected something closer to The Lion King, but new movies will always win over old ones at the box office.

With Valentines day bound to give The Vow a huge boost...could it get close to 150m?

That's hard to say because I think most consider this weekend Valentines weekend, so the boost it may get will be over after Tuesday, not carry into next weekend.