BOT's TOP 100 Film Scores: The Threequel: COUNTDOWN COMPLETE! (#1 Page 36!)

Spoiler

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)

Original Music by Hans Zimmer

215 Points

#1 Rankings: 1
Top 10 Placements: 2

2015 Placement: 64 (-24)

There was talk about whether or when a Pirates score would show up, well here is an answer. Dropping 24 spots, At World's End is the subject of debate in this thread as to its placement amongst the franchise's music. However you come down on that argument, it seems clear that Zimmer for the third outing provided the most epic and operatic music of the franchise, adding in several new cues and expanding on existing ones as the film ties up character loose ends and barrels towards a final showdown between the pirates and the forces seeking to eliminate them.

All 3 of the original Pirates films showed up for 2015. Will that be the case this time around?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

The next five will be later this afternoon.

Three of them are new debuts to the Countdown

Just as I accept disappointment upon Mononoke filling the foreign language quota, you build my shattered hopes up almost immediately with this little nugget.

Damn you to Hades good sir 

• Like 2

Spoiler

Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992)

Original Music by Wojciech Kilar

219 Points

2015 Placement: NEW

Another new score graces the countdown, this time coming from the film that could be considered one of Francis Ford Coppola's last notable products. The score by Wojciech Kilar definitely plays into the gothic romance aspect of the film, with lush and vibrant tones that mesh between the romance motifs and the classical creature horror foundation of the story.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Reveal hidden contents

@Telerian alert

The-Rock-applause.gif

• Like 1

I am amazed how good everyone is here at recollecting the scores of every film on this list whether they voted for it or not, the second that Numbers reveals a new position.

Apollo 13 was not a film that came to me in my list making as a score to consider, so I have no idea if I should feel outraged it made the list, or disappointed in myself for forgetting it. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Hide contents

Sunset Boulevard (1950)

Original Music by Franz Waxman

209 Points

Top 5 Placements: 1

2015 Placement: 96 (+4)

Next up is our oldest film to date on the Top 100, and an old piece of evidence proving the theory of how Hollywood loves to make movies about Hollywood. This of course casts no ill reflection on the music itself, which earned composer Franz Waxman an Academy Award. Waxman litters the film with distorted arrangements of cues and popular styles of film music from prior decades to reflect the deteriorating and warped state of mind of main character Norma Desmond.

Hollywood wasn't too happy with this movie at the time since it didn't show it in the best of lights.  But it was too brilliant to ignore.

All hail Billy Wilder.

• Like 3