BOT's TOP 100 Film Scores: The Threequel: COUNTDOWN COMPLETE! (#1 Page 36!)

8 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

here we go....

Hide contents

Man of Steel (2013)

Original Music by Hans Zimmer 

227 Points

Top 10 Placements: 1

2015 Placement: NEW

What is sure to be one of the more controversial inclusions on the countdown is a film that in hindsight, was inevitably going to be here. Whether it's a best list, a worst list, or a random musing list, Man of Steel is uniquely able to find its way onto it. Hans Zimmer in composing the music for the film decided to take the music in a completely different direction from the Reeve movies (and Superman Returns) in order for it to have its own identity. The result is a much more aggressive, brooding, and metallic sound that sometimes wanders into ambient bombast but also at times leans into its impacting and soaring main theme with great success.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I love that Man of Steel main theme so much, it's a shame I dislike pretty much the rest of the entire score.

I actually think if one of Zimmer's clones/proteges had scores MOS like say Jackman or Jablonsky, and it featured a similar sounding heroic sounding theme that was barely used, and then a bunch of sonic noise, it wouldn't even be on this list. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I actually think if one of Zimmer's clones/proteges had scores MOS like say Jackman or Jablonsky, and it featured a similar sounding heroic sounding theme that was barely used, and then a bunch of sonic noise, it wouldn't even be on this list. 

Disagree. I also like the music that music the Flight track )which also plays on piano later), the music that plays when Superman destroys the World Engine and the Zod fight music. Good score overall imo

Edited by John Marston

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Disagree. I also like the music that music the Flight track )which also plays on piano later), the music that plays when Superman destroys the World Engine and the Zod fight music. Good score overall imo

I mean it has a good theme, it's just so much of that score is really background noise, and not especially great. It's not really all that deserving of being in a top 100 greatest scores lists anyway IMO.

Not to mention we already have way too many Zimmer scores as is, and I'm a fan of Zimmer overall but BOT definitely overrates him a bit. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

Spoiler

King Kong (1933)

Original Music by Max Steiner 

230 Points

Top 5 Placements: 1

2015 Placement: 69 (-11)

Our oldest film on the list is a granddaddy of the creature/monster movie genre, and it's music plays a role in its enduring memory. Max Steiner is one of the great composers of the First Generation of the talking picture, and his music for the film does a great job at setting tone, from the mythical, foreboding, ominous tones surrounding the arrival and exploration of Skull Island, and the zooming, escalating tension and crescendos of the finale in Manhattan. Though all of the scores on the list are younger, not all of them are better.

• Like 8

Spoiler

Mad Max Fury Road (2015)

Original Music by Junkie XL

234 Points

WITNESS THIS! Our second piece of music from the New Eligibility Period comes from a film that took the forum by storm. At least three different composers were approached and/or attached before George Miller was able to lock in Junkie XL for the film. The score for the film is Zimmering done right. Aggressive, metallic, bombastic, energetic, relentless, but also more than just background noise or mish-mash. The film's music fits right in the film's general conceit of a 2-hour car chase, but correctly knows when to dial it back and allow for more quiet, cautious, and slow tension melodies.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Hide contents

Mad Max Fury Road (2015)

Original Music by Junkie XL

234 Points

WITNESS THIS! Our second piece of music from the New Eligibility Period comes from a film that took the forum by storm. At least three different composers were approached and/or attached before George Miller was able to lock in Junkie XL for the film. The score for the film is Zimmering done right. Aggressive, metallic, bombastic, energetic, relentless, but also more than just background noise or mish-mash. The film's music fits right in the film's general conceit of a 2-hour car chase, but correctly knows when to dial it back and allow for more quiet, cautious, and slow tension melodies.

giphy.gif

• Like 5

Spoiler

Planet of the Apes (1968)

Original Music by Jerry Goldsmith

236 Points

Jerry Goldsmith's one of the guys who has churned out so many quality and classic scores there's always a few of his that get overlooked in any discussion of Top Film Scores. Planet of the Apes wasn't included last time around but has crash-landed for the 2017 bout. Goldsmith was nominated for an Oscar for his work on the film, which was noted for its unusual percussion techniques to help create an eerie, uneasy tone to the film.

• Like 6