BOT's TOP 100 Film Scores: The Threequel: COUNTDOWN COMPLETE! (#1 Page 36!)

17 minutes ago, MrPink said:

There's a few tracks I really like from Mad Max, and it works really well with the movie...but there's a lot of stuff I'm pretty sure is straight derived from MoS.

Given that Junkie XL is a Zimmer protege, there are. There are even one or two cues that are very similar to the Winter Soldier "score", at least if scoring videos are anything to go by. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

57 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Hide contents

Inside Out (2015)

Original Music by Michael Giacchino

221 Points 

Top 5 Placements: 1

2015 Placement: NEW

And now we have our first newly eligible score from 2015/2016. Michael Giacchino has become a muse of sorts for Pixar, as this was his fifth collaboration with the studio. The film revolves around a recurring piano cue representing Joy and her presence within Riley's mind. As Joy experiences and grows, so does her music get new variations and arrangements. Of Giacchino's scores for Pixar up through this movie, this one is probably the least typical of his standard style.

This is not the last 2015/2016 film score to appear on the countdown.

Giacchino supreme fanboy here and gotta say I'm not high on IO's music. Works wonders in the movie, but on a standlone listen it's eeeh.

Edited by Goffe

8 minutes ago, Beauty and The Panda said:

I'm mad because Alexander Nevsky probably didn't make it, because none of these plebe have even heard of it.

Poor Prokofiev.

Nevsky actually made it onto the list last time at #50. It's coming up, don't worry.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Dude WTF are you so mad about? 

I'm not really mad, but the main stuff I care about is cast iron top 25 material so at this early stage, my main hope is to see if any of my Korean cinema nominations made it. 

I know they are not going to, but Numbers keeps posting hints that fill me optimism that they made sneak in, but they never do. :( 

• Like 2

Spoiler

Star Trek (2009)

Original Music by Michael Giacchino

222 Points

2015 Placement: 60 (-25)

We return with another Giacchino score, this time one for his best buddy JJ Abrams. The NuTrek reboot definitely moderneizes and contemporarizes the franchise to be more in line with 21st Century audience sensibilities and desires and the music dovetails with that goal. It's faster, more energetic, and kind of has a bit of that Star Warsy punch to it that the franchise had previously eschewed. The main theme is a rip-roaring go-get'em piece of music that conveys both the exploration and action contexts of the Enterprise and its crew. There's also several other recognizable themes and cues worked into the music as well.

Giacchino is not done with us yet.

• Like 11

Spoiler

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

Original Music by Thomas Newman 

222 Points

2015 Placement: 88 (+4)

TIEBREAKER OVER STAR TREK DUE TO NUMBER OF VOTES

It always surprises people when they learn that this film originated from a Stephen King story. Thomas Newman joins our list for the first time, with the movie that granted him his first Oscar nomination. His main theme for the movie is probably one of the most famous and most-used pieces of music to come out of the 1990s, having been reused for various dramatic and uplifting purposes in trailers, tv spots, youtube videos, etc all over the place. Composers such as Hans Zimmer have praised the score for helping to expand the "palette" of film scores of the time.

• Like 7

Spoiler

Spartacus (1960)

Original Music by Alex North

226 Points

A new arrival to the countdown is the 1960 Stanley Kubrick sword and sandal epic. Composer Alex North researched the music of the film's setting and time period and staffed much of the orchestra with these instruments, while not necessarily Roman, still conveyed an ancient and "authentic" sound to the music. One of North's key instruments for the film was the ondioline, which had rarely, if ever, been used in a film score before.

• Like 8

here we go....

Spoiler

Man of Steel (2013)

Original Music by Hans Zimmer 

227 Points

Top 10 Placements: 1

What is sure to be one of the more controversial inclusions on the countdown is a film that in hindsight, was inevitably going to be here. Whether it's a best list, a worst list, or a random musing list, Man of Steel is uniquely able to find its way onto it. Hans Zimmer in composing the music for the film decided to take the music in a completely different direction from the Reeve movies (and Superman Returns) in order for it to have its own identity. The result is a much more aggressive, brooding, and metallic sound that sometimes wanders into ambient bombast but also at times leans into its impacting and soaring main theme with great success.

• Like 7

Spoiler

1492: Conquest of Paradise (1992)

Original Music by Vangelis

228 Points

2015 Placement: 95 (+14)

It seems that the power of the Greeks may have gotten some extra juice between 2015 and now, as while RoboCop fell to an honorable mention, this one by renowned composer Vangelis leaped up 14 places. While the film itself was a pretty massive box office bomb, the score for the film became pretty successful worldwide and is remembered quite well, having been used in various commercial and other contexts, though it took a few years to catch on. The music reflects a nice interplay between synthesizer, traditional orchestra, and booming choral bombast.

• Like 6

Some factoids/clues about #80-76:

• The oldest film on the countdown
  • A film from a franchise that's had 3 different film generations
  • 2 21st Century films, of which one is animated
  • A film that was hacked apart in the editing room for domestic release and unsurprisingly panned
  • Like 2