WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

8 minutes ago, DAR said:

This thread would have been a hell of a lot better if it was just scenes, images and gifs from Commando

Throw in some Predator and you're good to go.

original_original.gif?w=300&h=162

• Like 4

One thing to note in today's media landscape, its all about clicks.

As a result if you can add a political or social/cultural angle in a movie review headline it generates a lot more clicks then a normal review would.

I am not saying that critics cant be political but there is a reason why you are seeing a lot of politically based movie reviews these days. 

Guys we went through this yesterday. Enough of the whitewashing and racism talk b*******. Take it to a different thread not in this one.

• Like 10

33 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

Whitewashing, along with other phrases like "racism", make great eyeball grabbing headlines. It has always been a thing in media business, and it surely got a lot worse since the internet era.

But of cause it's up to you to decide whether to buy into it.

There are cases when racism and white-washing are problematic it just so happens that in this case, and many others, it's an example of crying wolf.

Choose your battles wisely or people will always assume you're exaggerating and overreacting.

I recently pointed out how the movie actually works as a critical allegory against cultural appropriation and white washing and people have too much knee-jerk, tunnel vision to notice it.

Edited by grey ghost

I wonder if all the people screaming "RACISM!!!1!" Also complain about the lack of blacks & Latinos representation in Japanese media. Or does that not fit the narrative of the evil white landlord trying to enslave the world by casting ScarJo as a robot with blue eyes that obviously should've been Japanese.

I'm not even going to see GitS, but trivializing real issues like racism is trivializing decades of struggles (or centuries) which is way more offensive than whether ScarJo accepted a role or not. 

Well I am working. So until one of the other moderators comes on and see that this is locked or goes to our WhatsApp chat this thread will remain locked because apparently some of you cannot follow simple rules. There is an entire thread devoted to racism. The weekend thread is not that thread.

• Like 7

Really disappointed in some of u. Most of you want to come here and discuss the weekend numbers and see how much Ghost in the Shell made or how much Power Rangers fell or how Beauty and the Beast held on against boss baby or help Big Boss baby actually opened and for those of us masochist we are also interested to see how life held up. But some of you have to ruin it for the majority of us. Shame on you guys.

• Like 12

I'm going to open it because the actual numbers are trickling in now. The other moderators are not online right now but when they do get online and they will be coming here immediately and if this talk continues I would imagine this thread will be shut down for the day. Fair warning guys.

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

I'm going to open it because the actual numbers are trickling in now. The other moderators are not online right now but when they do get online and they will be coming here immediately and if this talk continues I would imagine this thread will be shut down for the day. Fair warning guys.

Appreciate it Baumer!