WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

It'll be interesting if Smurfs has any effect on Boss Baby next week, personally I imagine it'll be a flop for SPA but overseas might save it.

DreamWorks SKG/Amblin Partners have mixed success, The Girl on the Train and A Dogs Purpose have done good but Ghost in the Shell is going to be a costly flop. 

Stars help a lot, as shown by The Revenant - would it have been successful without Leo (that too after his name along with a big director gave it a 100+ budget)? 

But even Leo joining hands with Eastwood could not save J Edgar.

Just like Hanks in Sully gave a hit, to be followed by Inferno (whose dom was less than Sully's ow).

Directors in all the above films are A-listers. But Clint + Leo had a flop in J Edgar; Clint + Hanks had a hit in Sully.

So names of actors and directors cannot guarantee success but they shift probabilities in favor of success. They get certain budgets. They get unorthodox subjects greenlit. And most importantly they get a wide release (which is necessary to recover that budget).

19 minutes ago, cookie said:

Mortal Kombat wasn't good. It just happened to be better than everything else so it looked good by comparison. It's still a castrated version of what it should've been.

We already know what a superior MK movie would've been like. It's called Big Trouble in Little China. ;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It'll be interesting if Smurfs has any effect on Boss Baby next week, personally I imagine it'll be a flop for SPA but overseas might save it.

DreamWorks SKG/Amblin Partners have mixed success, The Girl on the Train and A Dogs Purpose have done good but Ghost in the Shell is going to be a costly flop. 

Home dropped 48% with Furious 7, however while Smurfs will be lucky to make F7 OW gross domestic, it could divert family attention and steal some of BB screens. So guessing 40%-52% drop for BB.

8 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Whitewashing complaints have become tedious. The Japanese can make their own GITS movie. No one is stopping them.

Whitewashing, along with other phrases like "racism", make great eyeball grabbing headlines. It has always been a thing in media business, and it surely got a lot worse since the internet era.

But of cause it's up to you to decide whether to buy into it.

Edited by vc2002

11 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

You really are a walking, talking stereotype, aren't you? Huh.

Actually, all of you are.

I'm just a voice of reason.

I don't mind that they put people of color in Beauty in the Beast. 

Why do so many here flip out the other way around. 

Edited by POTUS

Race banter has started again! (If at all it stopped).

To calm everyone down I would suggest that BOT fund a super progressive all female starcast movie on civil rights with historical characters portrayed by actors of inaccurate races. Lyndon B Johnson played by Kerry Washington, Penelope Cruz plays Rosa Parks, MLK played by Fan Bingbing who talks about his inspiration from Gandhi (played by ScarJo). That way everybody is happy.

14 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

commando16_zpsthu6eilu.png

BTW I think this would make a great emoticon. I'd love to see this as a new one but I guess its too much to ask for since Tele ignored my last emoticon request. :sadben:

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Just saw gits.

Not a crowd pleaser or the ideal gits adaptation but I wish it could've gotten Pacific Rim or Lucy numbers.

Paramount actually tried to make a decent anime adaptation that doesn't totally shit on the fans.

That should count for something.

I think casting Scarlett Johansson instead of an Asian actress was shitting on fans. I know many Asians Americans not seeing the movie because of that. 

• Like 2