baumer

A Look at The Biggest Box Office Stories from 1972-present (THABOS: The History of Amazing Box Office Stories) | IT'S FINALLY COMPLETE!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

You don't have to mention me. I am always on lookout when you are gonna post.

I just try to mention those who have supported the thread. :)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Baumer i hate to correct you, but it was The Lost World: Jurassic Park, not Jurassic World: That film will probably be mentioned in the text for 2015 :)

Too much Tele on the brain.

1997 was another stellar year. Some of my favorites:

The Fifth Element

L.A. Confidential

Anastasia

Boogie Nights

Hercules

Event Horizon

Scream 2

I Know What You Did Last Summer

Grosse Point Blank

Princess Mononoke

Wag the Dog

Plus, it was the debut of a home video WOM monster: Austin Powers. It performed modestly at the box office, but became a monster hit on home video which led to two huge sequels.

Howard Stern had a #1 book, album and movie in '97, along with having the #1 radio show in the country. He was at the peak of his power. 

A group of friends and I went to see Spawn for one of our birthdays. It was my first R-rated movie at the theater. We all liked it, but again, that film has not aged well. Things that were exciting at ten are not so much at 30.

Another movie that has held up well over the years is the vehicle that made Jennifer Lopez a star...Selena. I'd argue that it has been seen by more young people today than most of the movies in the top ten for '97. It has had incredible staying power.

• Like 4

I'm. not going to share the winners and losers at the box office of 1997. But there's some things in common, as Studios had big flops stateside, but somehow overseas somewhat tried to save the day as we've seen in this decade. Thrillers and horror films made the most. 

While the now surprising things 20 years ago, Paramount wasn't the flop company they are today. Liar Liar was one of the leggiest comedies of the year, and was a big rebound for Jim Carrey right after The Cable Guy less than a year before. And a film like Air Force One had a debut that was considered "record breaking" for an R-rated film at the time, which today it probably would've grossed like Olympus Has Fallen.

3 hours ago, Maxmoser3 said:

I'm. not going to share the winners and losers at the box office of 1997. But there's some things in common, as Studios had big flops stateside, but somehow overseas somewhat tried to save the day as we've seen in this decade. Thrillers and horror films made the most. 

While the now surprising things 20 years ago, Paramount wasn't the flop company they are today. Liar Liar was one of the leggiest comedies of the year, and was a big rebound for Jim Carrey right after The Cable Guy less than a year before. And a film like Air Force One had a debut that was considered "record breaking" for an R-rated film at the time, which today it probably would've grossed like Olympus Has Fallen.

And they had that movie about the sinking ship.  :redcapes:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

I'm late to the TITANIC-fest, but it's the Cameron movie I've seen the least. 

But...you do like it, don't you? :WHATanabe:

I will mention LW4.  The thing about the budget is that WB made a pile of money off the first three films.  Lethal Weapon 3 had a budget of 35 million and took in more than 300.  So to get the whole gang back, they had pay through the nose.  I'm sure WB knew what they were doing when they decided to spend 140 million on it.

3 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I will mention LW4.  The thing about the budget is that WB made a pile of money off the first three films.  Lethal Weapon 3 had a budget of 35 million and took in more than 300.  So to get the whole gang back, they had pay through the nose.  I'm sure WB knew what they were doing when they decided to spend 140 million on it.

It was shot and released within 7 months, that must have added to the costs as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jonwo said:

It was shot and released within 7 months, that must have added to the costs as well.

And they had script trouble as well.

I thought there was some film that Gibson wanted to do but would only get financing for it if he did LW4.  But that doesn't seem to be the case because there's nothing he really did for WB except for Conspiracy Theory.

20 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I thought there was some film that Gibson wanted to do but would only get financing for it if he did LW4.  But that doesn't seem to be the case because there's nothing he really did for WB except for Conspiracy Theory.

If I remember correctly you are right, it was WB that told him they would finance is Braveheart project if he would do an other LW, but Gibson didn't want to do LW4 at the time and did find financing elsewhere.