baumer

A Look at The Biggest Box Office Stories from 1972-present (THABOS: The History of Amazing Box Office Stories) | IT'S FINALLY COMPLETE!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder why Meg Ryan hasn't done any major film or considered television. I'd like to see her make a comeback

Because her plastic surgery went really really bad.

• Like 3

1998 is very interesting as the first quarter was devoured by Titanic. The only few hits were The Wedding Singer, and Everest. Spice World was the leading January release with under $30 million. 

April was more small headliners as City Of Angels with Nicolas Cage and Meg Ryan as it grossed close to $80 million. The Big Hit did decent for an action film on a low budget. But sequels and reboots to The Odd Couple, Species, Major League, and Lost In Space(which was marketed as a "tentpole" with toys being advertised).

May relied on two blockbusters such as Deep Impact and Godzilla. Which Godzilla was advertised everywhere with the Taco Bell Chiuahaha "here lizzy lizzy lizzy" and using the director Indepdence Day which people saw it as the big blockbuster of the summer. But it only performed ok for a monster film that didn't have Jurassic Park in the title.

June was actually things started to turn around with three films making the $100 million mark. As June was more family oriented with Doctor Doolittle making $144 million which was Eddie Murphy's biggest hit in 11 years! Mulan did decent as well(also with Eddie Murphy), and did decent overseas. The Truman Show still proved that Jim Carrey could still pull out a film as it grossed $125 million. Also smaller films managed to do decent as thriller A Perfect Murder did well as it was near $70 million domestic. Six Days Seven Nights did well for a romantic comedy with Anne Heche(when she was making out with Ellen). The X-Files had a decent start, but yes with the tv show being popular it pulled in an alright $83 million and made a profit with overseas. 

July was was definitely the more interesting month to talk about as Tom, Bruce, and Mel made their $$$. Which Armageddon lit up 4th Of July, and outgrossed Deep Impact. As well as become the top grossing hits for Bruce Willis, and Ben Affleck(until BVS in 2016). Armageddon was also the top grossing film worldwide of 1998! Mel Gibson came back with Lethal Weapon 4, which the film did have a budget inflation thanks to a big nice pay check. But managed to perform well both state side and overseas for an R-rated action film and as well as a 4th sequel that was made 6 years after Lethal Weapon 3. Tom Hanks and Steven Speilberg nailed it once again with WWII drama Saving Private Ryan as t had a $34 million start and went to earn over $230 million stateside. 

The other film in July, that is possibly the best success story of 1998(next to SPR) would be There's Something About Mary. Which had a decent debut at 4th place against Zorro, and held on very well(even going into the Fall) as it had an 80's film esque run as it climbed to the top spot its 8th weekend! And turned out to be The Farrelly Bros. biggest hit ever! 

August 1998 was more focused on holdovers and an R-rated comic book film. August was dominated by SPR, and Mary legging their ways. But Halloween H20 did very well for a horror film, and was the top grossing film of the franchise(until Rob Zombie's remake) it was also the top grossing horror film(unless you count Blade) of 1998! As most horror films did decent turnouts but the teen horror was beginning to fatigue.  

After a few years of duds, Wesley Snipes had his first hit since 1993 with R-rated comic book film Blade. Which led two weeks in a row! And outgrossed similar comic book films such as The Crow and Spawn. 

September 1998 only had two true hits. Rush Hour broke the September record at the time, and grossed very well for both Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan. As it was also a very sucessful original buddy comedy outgrossing the combined domestic totals of Bad Boys and Lethal Weapon. Another hit was horror film Urban Legend, which did quite well with an excellent $72 million WW which outgrossed next month's Bride Of Chucky's $50 million WW total. And Urban Legend played well for the fall, quite similar to I Know What You Did Last Summer in fall of '97. 

October 1998 was a death month, as Studios could not get away from big budget flops such as Antz(well kind of), Beloved, Pleasantville, Practical Magic, Soldier, Holy Man, and What Dreams May Come. The only hit to talk about this month would be Bride Of Chucky, as it performed well for a horror comedy and it outgrossed the totals of Child's Play 2 and Child's Play 3. While also being the top grossing film of the franchise worldwide! 

November at least tried to rebound '98 with The Waterboy as it had broke Ace Ventura's opening weekend record, and had made more than half of Sandler's Wedding Singer. The Waterboy was definitely the beginning of Sandler's career in blockbuster territory! November also saw success with Conspiracy thriller Enemy Of The State which played very well in the Holiday season as it proved to be another for Will Smith and Jerry Bruckheimer. It had also performed above the norm for conspiracy thrillers as well. 

Animated films also didnt do too bad either as A Bug's Life did ok with $162 million, although for 17 years it was Pixar's lowest-grossing film. The Rugrats Movie had also performed well as it was against Bugs, it had a made a solid $100 million.

Although Titanic/007/Ghostface ended '97 with a bang '98 unfortunately didn't even have that amazing combo. Patch Adams was one of Universal's bright spots and proved to play well with audiences. You've Got Mail did very sucessful as its worldwide total outgrossed Sleepless In Seattle. Prince Of Egypt wasn't a horrible turnout but it legged out after a lackluster OW. 

While Scream 1 & 2, did big cash. The Faculty couldn't even make it to have of that. But it did decent for its lower budget and performed better than comparable horror film Disturbing Behavior earlier that year. Stepmom fared decent as it had held out strong and proved to be another hit for Julia Roberts. 

while talking bombs in 1998. Universal was king of bombs, although Bride Of Chucky, Patch Adams, and Half Baked were sucessful. Universal had big budget bombs such as Babe Pig In The City which took Universal down, Meet Joe Black, Mercury Rising, What Dreams May Come, and Psycho.  To small budget flops such as One True Thing, BASEketball, Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas, and Kissing A Fool. Luckily May 7, 1999 would soon save their ass.

also a major list of duds were releasing tv adaptations which proved to be less viewers than the show as The Avengers was a huge failure, Lost In Space flopped, and Barney the movie(forget the title) also bombed. Star Trek:Insurrection should be on the list, while not a money loser it was the lowest grossing of the Star Trek films since The Final Frontier. But now was saved after Nemesis would later bomb in 2002. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

The last thing she had made was a straight to video film with Antonio Banderas and Selma Blair. Which looked quite generic on the DVD cover

4 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder why Meg Ryan hasn't done any major film or considered television. I'd like to see her make a comeback

The last thing she was known about was dating John Mellencamp earlier in the decade but that's about it. 

Great write up for 1998.

Rush Hour was such a surprise that year for many people on how funny it was and how it spawned 2 sequels.  I still love watching it when it comes on and have at least the first one on dvd.

Mary of course is the one more people talk about and I completely get why.  It was another movie that kind of came out of left field but it became well received quickly and obviously has staying power since people still use references to this day.

Rounders was a nice little find for me later than 1998.  Not great but it definitely is worth seeing at least once, if people haven't seen it yet.   It did introduce a lot of people to Texas Hold'em, as well.

SPR not winning the Oscar is still one the biggest travesties out there.  I refuse to even acknowledge the film that did win by name since it didn't even deserve a nomination let alone a win.  It's a cute little film but that was all.  Sadly the other win from that movie kept someone else around for too long, as well.

But back to SPR.  It is an amazing movie on many levels.  My one uncle who was in Vietnam refuses to see it because of the beginning part because he heard about how realistic it was and knows he won't be able to sit through it.  Just that can show how powerful this film is.  Another Spielberg masterpiece.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

that's definitely one of the reasons.  I think she lost that "good girl" aura too from the affair and when you've been America's sweetheart for so long, it's hard to come back after that since it seemed like it was fake.  I know people get second chances, but it's sometimes amazing how they pick and choose who does or doesn't

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 75livesinDerry said:

Great write up for 1998.

Rush Hour was such a surprise that year for many people on how funny it was and how it spawned 2 sequels.  I still love watching it when it comes on and have at least the first one on dvd.

Mary of course is the one more people talk about and I completely get why.  It was another movie that kind of came out of left field but it became well received quickly and obviously has staying power since people still use references to this day.

Rounders was a nice little find for me later than 1998.  Not great but it definitely is worth seeing at least once, if people haven't seen it yet.   It did introduce a lot of people to Texas Hold'em, as well.

SPR not winning the Oscar is still one the biggest travesties out there.  I refuse to even acknowledge the film that did win by name since it didn't even deserve a nomination let alone a win.  It's a cute little film but that was all.  Sadly the other win from that movie kept someone else around for too long, as well.

But back to SPR.  It is an amazing movie on many levels.  My one uncle who was in Vietnam refuses to see it because of the beginning part because he heard about how realistic it was and knows he won't be able to sit through it.  Just that can show how powerful this film is.  Another Spielberg masterpiece.

costanza-clapping.gif

Nah 2009 is the year I'm looking forward to.  ROTF and  Avatar as well as Twilight exploding.  There's gonna be something on Terminator Salvation, Puerto Rico, the F&F return. Maybe something on District 9, Watchmen, Paranormal Activity or Paul Blart.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, langer said:

Nah 2009 is the year I'm looking forward to.  ROTF and  Avatar as well as Twilight exploding.  There's gonna be something on Terminator Salvation, Puerto Rico, the F&F return. Maybe something on District 9, Watchmen, Paranormal Activity or Paul Blart.

The Blind Side too

• Like 1

Does anyone have any requests for me to cover for 1999 or 2000 (outside the top ten)?

I will accept up to three requests (one per person) for up to two years in advance.

4 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Does anyone have any requests for me to cover for 1999 or 2000 (outside the top ten)?

I will accept up to three requests (one per person) for up to two years in advance.

Almost Famous (2000), one of my favorite films of all time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Notting Hill? I think it was successful enough to warrant a write up and it was perfect counterprogramming against Star Wars. It was a great year for Julia Roberts with that and Runaway Bride. 

1999 was a strong year for comedy all around

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

American Beauty

• Like 2

Not requests,  just For Your Consideration. 

For 99,  American Pie needs to be covered,  this is the Scream of comedy.  South Park and Fight Club are culturally still relevant. 

For 2000,  Crouching Tiger for Asian movie revival.  Battlefield Earth (for all the wrong reasons).  Snatch is a very good 2000 movie and gave us Jason Statham. 

• Like 2