baumer

A Look at The Biggest Box Office Stories from 1972-present (THABOS: The History of Amazing Box Office Stories) | IT'S FINALLY COMPLETE!!!!!!!

On 8/13/2017 at 5:59 AM, Chaz said:

I did not see The Sixth Sense until its home video release later in '99. My brother was home from college for the holidays and he brought the VHS to show my mother and me. I was 13. I was thoroughly engrossed in the movie and blown away by the twist. It was a lot of fun. 

Of course, I saw The Phantam Menace three times in theaters that summer. Fox went all out on the promotion for it. Remember the teaser poster, with Jake Loyd's shadow in the shape of Darth Vader? I thought that was so cool.

Austin Powers and The Matrix are true pop culture icons of the '90s. Everybody could quote those movies, even if they hadn't watched them. I saw the Spy Who Shagged Me with my best friend that summer and we laughed our pre-teen heads off.

I didn't see the Sixth Sence until home video either. I didn't no what the twist was but I figured it out about 30 minutes in. I remember turning to my wife and saying to her "I figured it out. He's dead" lol. Didn't diminish my enjoyment of the movie though. 

That poster for TPM is great. I have it still rolled up in a tube in my closet. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Barnack said:

That is a bit of an exaggeration, the birth was at least since, many movie did it in the 60's/70's at least:

For example in 1961

https://www.fandor.com/films/the_connection

But it was really popularized and became a big deal in 1980 with Cannibal Holocaust (the found footage bit was really pushed by the marketing, actor that played roles of people dying in the movie had in the contract a close that they could not shown themselve in place were they could have been took in photo, public, in Italy for quite a long time, so much that they had to stop at one point during a trial for murder and bring them back to show that it was fake).

Blair Witch was a re-popularization/boost of an already existing genre, a bit like Avatar with 3D.

I would imagine story like those overshadowing Phantom Menace not getting close at all to Titanic and being expected to be a monster, but in hindsight it had ridiculous long leg, still the biggest ever for a 50m or more opening I think, with an over 6.0x multi.

Avatar opened to 77m and had a 9.7 multi. 

Also, you can't really compare their multi's because TPM opened on a Wednesday while Avatar opened on Friday and had a traditional F,S,S opening. Still, it was a great run. 

• Like 1

August 1999 was quite interesting, as The Sixth Sense broke the August opening weekend record, and had amazing legs as it went on to gross $293 million domestic and $672 million WW. Which ended up being the highest grossing horror film of all time, highest grossing film to come out in August until Guardians Of The Galaxy, and the biggest hit for both Bruce Willis and Hollywood Pictures as well as director M. Night Shaymaylan's biggest hit as well.

the remainder of August had The Thomas Crown Affair do well with a $69 million starside total and as well as $124 million WW on a $48 million budget, and Eddie Murphy/Steve Martin comedy Bowfinger did ok with a $66 million stateside total and $98 million WW on a $55 million budget which did fine but wasn't a blockbuster.

September had Stigmata, Double Jeporady, somewhat Blue Streak & Stir Of Echoes all do decent business.

October had Three Kings do decent with overseas and a decent domestic total, The Best Man did well for a low budget, and House On Haunted Hill even with Blockbuster video stores promoting it ended up being profitable.

For the rest of the year, The Bone Collector, Dogma, Sleepy Hollow, The World Is Not Enough, Pokémon The Movie, and Toy Story 2 all did sucessful in November.

December had The Green Mile end up being the first and only Stephen King adaptation make over $100 million, Any Given Sunday ended up being the first film to debut at #1 on opening weekend and end up debuting at #4 on the weekly but made decent money. The Talented Mr. Ripley knocked out some decent cash, Stuart Little had a nice squeaky little run, and Deuce Bigalow was a hit for the start of an SNL star and it's modest budget.

I'm not as lengthy as the part 1 but personal stuff right now is pissing me off(not going into detail folks). But my thoughts on the films from 1999 have stayed the same I still like Deep Blue Sea, Blair Witch, and many more. And ever since I was 10 when I saw The World Is Not Enough, I still think Denise Richards is really hot!

Edited by Maxmoser3
  • Like 1

Just catching up on 1999, Tarzan was the last huge 2D animated film for Disney and it's still holds up today. I imagine due to the EBR estate controlling the Tarzan brand and the fact we've just has The Legend of Tarzan, it's unlikely Disney will give the live action treatment anytime soon. 

Notting Hill is the superior film between it and Runaway Bride, OS really embraced Notting Hill especially in the UK where the combination of Curtis, Grant and the setting meant it was a huge hit. the $70m budget for RB is high but I think Roberts got $20m for that film. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vc2002 said:

"No no, you, don't get to tell me what to do, ever, agin."

Probably one of the best parts of the movie.  So classic.  And that is ultimately made her want to shoot him, because poor Carol couldn't get away with her adulterous secret life.  I really disliked her, she was such a pampered, detached from reality little twat.

• Like 1

I really feel like Bowfinger would have become a big success if hadn't dealt with the sixth sense. Of course nobody could have seen it coming but it opened in Sense's second weekend and was never able to really take off. 

Also this thread seems to be really popular but hardly anybody posts in the classic boxoffice runs thread which is really dissapointing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOOYAH SUCKAS said:

Also this thread seems to be really popular but hardly anybody posts in the classic boxoffice runs thread which is really dissapointing. 

That section was popular when it first started but seems to have slowed a bit since the initial rush. Maybe @Squadron Leader Tele will reignite it a bit soon.

36 minutes ago, BOOYAH SUCKAS said:

I really feel like Bowfinger would have become a big success if hadn't dealt with the sixth sense. Of course nobody could have seen it coming but it opened in Sense's second weekend and was never able to really take off. 

Bowfinger had that, and a lot of adult oriented comedies against it. Eddie Murphy box office was dying down as Life bombed, among many others. And Steve Martin couldn't produce any hits since Father Of The Bride 2.

3 hours ago, BOOYAH SUCKAS said:

Hey Baumer since 1999 is up would you be willing to do Zoolander? 

1999 is done.  Zoolander is a great movie, but again, it didn't do anything at the box office.  So it's not on my radar.  

I have said that I will take up to three requests for films to be covered, per year.

Only one request per person.  You can make three requests, but if someone else makes a request for the same year, I will only take your first one.

Only two years in advance.

As the title says, this is a look back at the biggest box office stories of each year.  The other films outside of the top ten that I hit upon are films that I personally love/relate to (like Clerks or Rounders and so on).  But as I've said, I will take requests and bypass my own passion films.

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

Did you get your requests for 2001 yet? A Beautiful Mind and American Pie 2 would be good to cover 

Sure...I'll take this request. :)

3 hours ago, BOOYAH SUCKAS said:

Hey Baumer since 1999 is up would you be willing to do Zoolander? 

You know what...for some reason I had a brain cramp.  I will definitely cover Zoolander.  You were the first one to make a request for 2001.  

• Like 1