Free Fire (2017)  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Ok, nothing memorable.  Some of the characters are interesting.  Some are just there.  I think what it suffers from is that this is really just a movie about people getting shot with a bunch of guns.  There's really not much plot to it.  It also suffers from people doing dumb things.  You're in a room full of tense people, there are guns around and a lot of money.  Why would you then start a fight with one of the guys, regardless of what he did the night before?  But then again, there had to be some reason for the gun fight to start.

On 4/23/2017 at 9:49 PM, baumer said:

Ok, nothing memorable.  Some of the characters are interesting.  Some are just there.  I think what it suffers from is that this is really just a movie about people getting shot with a bunch of guns.  There's really not much plot to it.  It also suffers from people doing dumb things.  You're in a room full of tense people, there are guns around and a lot of money.  Why would you then start a fight with one of the guys, regardless of what he did the night before?  But then again, there had to be some reason for the gun fight to start.

Agree (but I give it a much lower score), when he goes with a metal bar instead of is gun also did felt a bit forced.

At least they went serious enough as a reason for the fight with the people involved high on serious drugs, didn't bother me, my only issue was that they made it a full feature length, when it could have been a good sitcom episode length affair with that premise (I could have seen a community episode doing this for example). For this to work you really need great action sequence and it was not there.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

Free Fire is a rollicking sequence of pure invigorating gunplay. Wheatley stages every bit of violence with a slightly comedic bent, and it never gets boring thanks to his and Amy Jump's really strong script. The talented ensemble makes everyone of the characters memorable in their own way. The characters are all fascinating and entertaining; the opening twenty minutes before the gunplay begins includes some of the film's best moments. The highlight in acting is Sharlto Copley, whose Vernon is the cartoon character he always perfect at playing. The editing works well, but sometimes the disorienting nature of it works against the film. Free Fire is a fun morsel of a movie, thanks to strong direction and a great ensemble bringing to life a truly amusing set of characters. B

Maybe just me but I thought it was really funny... a simple idea well executed. Not sure why you American folks aren't taking to it. That's also reflected in reviews - before US critics wrote up their reviews, it was at like 90% Rotten Tomatoes, now it's 67% and falling.

Edited by Manchester by the Tree