grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

17 minutes ago, YourMother said:

North Shore Cinema update: Dunkirk is picking up here but it's barely over Apes 7:00 USCR3D showing in total tickets sold (20 vs 19). Valerian still has 12 total tickets, and Girls Trip decimates everything.

Does that mean it is doing well in pre-sales?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BenedictL11 said:

Does that mean it is doing well in pre-sales?

Very well. The 7:00 showing is about 45% full and that showing sold more than Dunkirk and Valerian put together.

• Like 2

Thinking the PTAs for Dunkirk and Girls Trip are gonna end up being similar with the former winning on account of being in 1K+ more theaters. Great results for both movies either way. I think it's gonna end up being a strong frame, or at least the closest to delivering breakout hits (which this summer has been absent of minus Wonder Woman and to a lesser extent Baby Driver), especially with a muted rest of the season looking to follow after this weekend.

BTW I'm starting to feel like a sub-$20M opening is incoming for Atomic Blonde quite easily. Buzz or social media presence feels largely nonexistent, even though Charlize is out there promoting it (she's on the cover of the latest Variety).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, YourMother said:

North Shore Cinema update: Dunkirk is picking up here but it's barely over Apes 7:00 USCR3D showing in total tickets sold (20 vs 19). Valerian still has 12 total tickets, and Girls Trip decimates everything.

What's the city for this? 

• Like 1

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

What's the city for this? 

Mequon, Wisconsin. Unfortunately they are no big theaters in Milwaukee so I choose the one of the nearest one/best one imo

• Like 2

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Mequon, Wisconsin. Unfortunately they are no big theaters in Milwaukee so I choose the one of the nearest one/best one imo

I'm in a rural area too and it can be misleading. Go check out Arclight Hollywood. All of the seating is reserved, so you can get a pretty good idea of how they're doing. Dunkirk is doing much better than I expected.

Also checked the various places with popular IMAX screens like Lincoln Square and it's doing a hell of a lot better than you would think if you check my little old West Texas town. Seems there is going to be a divide for that movie between the big coastal cities and the more rural areas. 

Valerian is the one that seems to be in trouble. It's doing bad at Arclight, Lincoln Square, my tiny rural theater...doesn't seem to matter where you look, the sales aren't good. It's going to need some great walk-ups and hopefully stronger WOM with audiences than critics. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I'm in a rural area too and it can be misleading. Go check out Arclight Hollywood. All of the seating is reserved, so you can get a pretty good idea of how they're doing. Dunkirk is doing much better than I expected.

Also checked the various places with popular IMAX screens like Lincoln Square and it's doing a hell of a lot better than you would think if you check my little old West Texas town. Seems there is going to be a divide for that movie between the big coastal cities and the more rural areas. 

Valerian is the one that seems to be in trouble. It's doing bad at Arclight, Lincoln Square, my tiny rural theater...doesn't seem to matter where you look, the sales aren't good. It's going to need some great walk-ups and hopefully stronger WOM with audiences than critics. 

I honestly can't see Valerian opening higher than Jupiter Ascending ($18M) even if the reviews are looking to lean much more towards the favorable side. The audience apathy is palpable. Maybe it can score some strong overseas coin as it heads on its way to becoming a cult classic.

Dunkirk is the definition of millennial movie. 

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

This is the buzz and tracking thread, not the weekend results/numbers thread...looking at the presales and tracking of the yet-to-open movies is the point:)...

I was referring to Dunkirk. ;)

7 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I don't think it's too rural though. It's a chain cinema with a PLF and recliners.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, filmlover said:

BTW I'm starting to feel like a sub-$20M opening is incoming for Atomic Blonde quite easily. Buzz or social media presence feels largely nonexistent, even though Charlize is out there promoting it (she's on the cover of the latest Variety).

I feel like it will open worse than Ghost in the Shell. 

8 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

So is mine. IMAX and RPX. Pre-sale tickets here are just a joke in general compared to huge markets like L.A. or New York.

This but it's fun to keep track.

• Like 2

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Will be even more fun in December for Star Wars. That is the one movie brand that seems to draw huge pre-sales even in my small market. 

Exactly.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I was going to ask if social media presence were usually much bigger for original movie so early before release, to see that it is getting release only in 12 days..... (I thought it was later), if google trend is a good metric and there is no mixed up, it is true that Atomic blonde online seem similar to john wick the week before their release:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&geo=US&q=%2Fg%2F11bwwly3vd,%2Fm%2F0y528j_,%2Fg%2F11bydmrh02

Those had much more buzz month in advance, but they were more fanboys movie.

Edited by Barnack

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I was going to ask if social media presence were usually much bigger for original movie so early before release, to see that it is getting release only in 12 days..... (I thought it was later), if google trend is a good metric and there is no mixed up, it is true that Atomic blonde online seem similar to john wick the week before their release:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&geo=US&q=%2Fg%2F11bwwly3vd,%2Fm%2F0y528j_,%2Fg%2F11bydmrh02

Those had much more buzz month in advance, but they were more fanboys movie.

A movie being sold as "Charlize Kicks Ass" should be more of a fanboy type of deal as well after Mad Max and her supporting turn in the last Fast & the Furious movie. I don't think an opening similar to the first John Wick is what the studio had in mind when they dated it in a prime late July spot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

A movie being sold as "Charlize Kicks Ass" should be more of a fanboy type of deal as well after Mad Max and her supporting turn in the last Fast & the Furious movie. I don't think an opening similar to the first John Wick is what the studio had in mind when they dated it in a prime late July spot.

$30m production budget. Doesn't seem they were expecting big blockbuster numbers. 

The more rural areas I expect to be pretty heavily walk up based for Dunkirk.

If there's no IMAX or 70mm, guessing pre-sales look pretty dire as of now. Even then I don't think digital IMAX pre-sales are probably very good either.

• Like 2