grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

They still have the 2018 films but beyond that is up in the air. 

If they can't have another hit, then the studio animation department's future is probably in doubt, I'd wager.

• Like 2

Spidey stayed above Apes on Movietickets all day today...not sure if he did on Pulse, but could the Spidey over Apes upset happen as soon as today?  And if so, since Spidey isn't holding that great, how low could Apes rise be today?

EDIT TO ADD: Spidey got an extra evening showing added this morning at my cheap Tuesday local - Apes did not.  That's a surprise b/c the 1st Tuesday almost always gets a movie a last minute add for the day if it's doing well...  

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Spidey stayed above Apes on Movietickets all day today...not sure if he did on Pulse, but could the Spidey over Apes upset happen as soon as today?  And if so, since Spidey isn't holding that great, how low could Apes rise be today?

EDIT TO ADD: Spidey got an extra evening showing added this morning at my cheap Tuesday local - Apes did not.  That's a surprise b/c the 1st Tuesday almost always gets a movie a last minute add for the day if it's doing well...  

It could happen today. Spidey has had very similar drops compared to Ant-man throughout its weekdays and weekend (except sat-sun). Antman increased by 28.4% so if spidey has a similar increase then it will be about 7 mil. Apes could see an increase similar to spidey's first tuesday of 23.4. So with a 24% increase Apes will be ahead of spidey slightly. Since Apes had a better sat-sun hold than spideys first weekend it could see a better increase today. So overall I think Apes will remain ahead of spidey at least for today even if slightly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

They still have the 2018 films but beyond that is up in the air. 

1 hour ago, Fancyarcher said:

If they can't have another hit, then the studio animation department's future is probably in doubt, I'd wager.

They have 3 really big originals planned for 2020, which they hope will be their Despicable Me. And they still have 4 shots in 2018, all could do $75M+, 3 of which could do $100M+, and 1 is locked for $100M. As long as they keep the budgets at $60M-$70M they'll be fine.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, YourMother said:

They have 3 really big originals planned for 2020, which they hope will be their Despicable Me. And they still have 4 shots in 2018, all could do $75M+, 3 of which could do $100M+, and 1 is locked for $100M. As long as they keep the budgets at $60M-$70M they'll be fine.

I suppose, I just hope those films are actually good as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

I suppose, I just hope those films are actually good as well.

They have some talent. The Kubo writer is doing a story of a superhero adopting his arch nemesis' kid. A short film director is doing a prehistoric tale of a boy and a dog. Also a movie based on a family road trip during a robot uprising.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

They have some talent. The Kubo writer is doing a story of a superhero adopting his arch nemesis' kid. A short film director is doing a prehistoric tale of a boy and a dog. Also a movie based on a family road trip during a robot uprising.

Those three at least sound promising. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Girls Trip official theater count: 2,583 (from BOM)

It's wider than other comedies targeting african-american audiences, but I guess they should have gone fully wide. This movie seems to break out of that target group and will have a wide appeal. August is empty enough to expand the release, though.

• Like 1

Dunkirk and Girls Trip managed to hang around on Pulse as well

• sog_dom_online_tsr_1sht_aoj.jpgSpider-Man Homecoming
    Rel. date Jul 7
  • wftpota_poster.jpgWar for the Planet of the Apes
    Rel. date Jul 14
  • dm3_adv1sheet_rgb_5.jpgDespicable Me 3
    Rel. date Jun 30
  • bbay_vert_main_dom_2764x409.jpgDunkirk (2017)
    Rel. date Jul 21
  • gtp_revtsr1sheet_rgb_2.jpgGirls Trip
    Rel. date Jul 21
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Valerian won't show up till Thursday at best I'd imagine.

Hey now, maybe it'll manage Wednesday :sparta: 

Honestly, I rewatched the featurette of the movie about how Besson had waited his life to make the movie, and it's sad now that it looks like it won't do too well.  It's such a shame to see so much creative vision behind a project and to have it be basically rejected.  Oh well.  I'll see it as much as I can to support it.

Google Trends US:

Dunkirk basically right where Spiderman was Tuesday week of release, but came up from lower baseline level. It's well past where Apes was last Tuesday.

It also just crossed over both in terms of current level of searches.b54e29d7b0e44a14867518cd57beb335.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Google Trends US:

Dunkirk basically right where Spiderman was Tuesday week of release, but came up from lower baseline level. It's well past where Apes was last Tuesday.

It also just crossed over both in terms of current level of searches.b54e29d7b0e44a14867518cd57beb335.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Wonder if some of those Google searches are a result of the Dunkirk footage on Amazon's homepage. Extremely smart marketing by WB. Amazon has a huge customer base and they visit the website pretty frequently. Plus I would guess many of them are casual Nolan fans. 

New releases moving up on Pulse

Rel. date Jul 7
    Rel. date Jul 14
    Rel. date Jul 21
    Rel. date Jul 21
  • bd_dom_online_1sht_tsr_02.jpgBaby Driver
    Rel. date Jun 28
  • Like 12

On 7/11/2017 at 4:48 PM, WrathOfHan said:

47 Meters Down and The House are gone.

War for the Planet of the Apes: 13 (6 2D/7 3D; Biggest, Average, and 4th Smallest)

The Big Sick: 5 (Average)

Wish Upon: 5 (Average)

Spider-Man: Homecoming: 13 (Down 1; 5 2D/8 3D; 2nd Biggest, Average, and Smallest)

Despicable Me 3: 6 (Down 11; 4 2D/2 3D; Average)

Baby Driver: 5 (Flat; 2nd Smallest)

Wonder Woman: 5 (Flat; Average)

Transformers: The Last Knight: 3 (Down 2 and lost 3D; 3rd Smallest)

Cars 3: 2 (Down 3; 3rd Smallest and Smallest)

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):

Hide contents

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

Cars 3 and Transformers: The Last Knight are gone.

Dunkirk: 5 (2nd Biggest)

Girls Trip: 5 (Average)

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets: 5 (3 2D/2 3D; Average)

War for the Planet of the Apes: 13 (Flat; 6 2D/7 3D; Biggest, Average, and 4th Smallest)

Baby Driver: 5 (Flat; Average)

The Big Sick: 5 (Flat; 2nd Smallest)

Despicable Me 3: 5 (Flat and lost 3D; Average and Smallest)

Spider-Man: Homecoming: 5 (Down 8; 3 2D/2 3D; Average and Smallest)

Wish Upon: 5 (Flat; 3rd Smallest)

Wonder Woman: 5 (Flat; Average)

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):

Spoiler

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

New releases moving up on Pulse

Rel. date Jul 7
    Rel. date Jul 14
    Rel. date Jul 21
    Rel. date Jul 21
  • bd_dom_online_1sht_tsr_02.jpgBaby Driver
    Rel. date Jun 28

Wasn't Dunkirk expected to make its appearance on Fandango tomorrow? If so, this is better than expected.