grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

On 12/5/2017 at 3:44 PM, WrathOfHan said:

Nothing is gone.

Just Getting Started: 4 (2nd Biggest)

The Mountain Between Us: 2 (Return; 3rd Smallest)

Coco: 6 (Down 1; 4 2D/2 3D; Average)

Justice League: 5 (Down 2; 4 2D/1 3D; Average)

A Bad Moms Christmas: 4 (Flat; Average)

Daddy's Home 2: 4 (Flat; Average)

Lady Bird: 4 (Flat; 2nd Smallest)

Murder on the Orient Express: 4 (Flat; Smallest)

Thor: Ragnarok: 4 (Flat; 3 2D/1 3D; Average)

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: 4 (Flat; 4th Smallest)

Wonder: 4 (Flat; Biggest)

The Star: 2 (Down 3; 3rd Smallest)

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):  

Hide contents

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

A Bad Moms Christmas, Lady Bird, The Mountain Between Us, Murder on the Orient Express, The Star, and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri are gone.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi: 24 (12 2D/12 3D; Biggest, 2nd Biggest, Average, and 4th Smallest) (This is a total of 5 full time screens with some showings on a 6th :ohmygod: )

Ferdinand: 6 (3 2D/3 3D; Average and 4th Smallest)

Coco: 5 (Down 1 and lost 3D; Average)

Daddy's Home 2: 5 (Up 1; Average and 4th Smallest)

Just Getting Started: 5 (Up 1; Average)

Justice League: 5 (Flat and lost 3D; 2nd Smallest)

Thor: Ragnarok: 5 (Up 1 and lost 3D; 3rd Smallest)

Wonder: 5 (Up 1; Smallest)

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):  

Spoiler

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

• Like 1

2nd local has not posted their Friday schedule, but they did their final Thursday and did give Star Wars a big bump that day...

Right now, Star Wars has 15 showings (including one double feature, 2 special holy-hell-priced, 4 3d, and 8 2d) - this is the equivalent of 7.5 screens for the night...this matches the other local, although that local only had 1 special holy-hell-priced show and no double feature)...

I'm waiting on Friday to see if they, like my other local, don't wildly expand b/c then I'll know the Disney terms mattered (at least for areas where people usually buy tickets - these theaters, while not top-selling ones, don't usually struggle to sell tickets to shows, so they don't NEED Star Wars for the holidays, at least not on every screen)... 

• Like 1

To not go too nuts...Atom has a BOGO deal through Chase Pay, a $5 ticket TMobile any movie deal out this morning...so those deals are probably making this chain sell bonkers today (since I'm pretty sure it's an Atom-selling chain).  

NOW, that being said - I expect an astounding Thursday for TLJ...I just don't want one chain's numbers to sway us too much yet:)...

Okay, 2nd local (Regal) is up...and they went with a wildly different strategy than 1st local - TLJ uber-fans will love this set...

NEW

Star Wars (6 - highest number all year - 27 showings - 12 3d, 15 2d)

Ferdinand (1 - all 2d - 6 showngs)

Returning

Disaster Artist (1)

Coco (1)

Wonder (1)

Thor (1)

JL (1 showing)

DH2 (1 showing)

Everything else is gone - biggest shock to me is that JL/DH2 drop to 1 showing for the weekend, while Wonder and Thor keep a full screen, but I guess Wonder is better counter-programming...by the weekdays, JL and DH2 both get their full screens back, so they are obviously officially keeping the screens, but getting all their weekend shows canceled in advance...so Star Wars officially gets 4 screens, but unofficially gets 6 for the weekend... 

xpost with the main TLJ thread:

===

GREATER SACRAMENTO SELLOUT REPORT: T-2 days

Previews: 48/156 (+11/+23) [R1: 14/143 showings]

(Includes Double Feature & Opening Night Fan Event)

2D: 38/108 (+9/+19) [R1: 10/71]

3D: 10/48 (+2/+4)   [R1: 2/36]

<<Reserved Theater Info: 93 showings [R1: 48 showings]>>

Almost Sold Out (95%+ sold out)

6 (-4) [R1: 5]

Nearly Sold Out (90% to 94% sold out)

10 (+3) [R1: 5]

Front Two Rows Only (or the equivalent amount of seats)

25 (-4) [R1: 26]

Heavily Sold (75% to 89% sold out)

2 (+1) [R1: 0]

NOTE:  If a showing only has wheelchair and wheelchair companion seats left, it is counted as a sellout

===

As you can see, a bunch of new showings tonight AND a bunch of new sellouts.  I might do a total screen count/basic sellout count later tonight, but I'm running late right now.

But for checking all the reserved seating for the weekend?  To quote myself from last year:

Also LOLOLOLOLOLOL at me checking the at least 250 reserved seating showings over the F/St/Su period.  Simply L-O-L. :P 

Except now it's well over 350 reserved seating showings. :lol:

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Pulse:

1. SW

2. SW 3D

3. SW IMAX 3D

4. SW IMAX 2D

5. Coco

5 minutes of watching saw:

9 Ferdinand

2 Greatest Showman

2 Pitch Perfect

1 Downsizing

Paramount's decision to attach the Downsizing trailer with every fucking movie is paying off nicely.

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I'm thinking The Last Jedi makes around 215-220M OW. Off chance for 230 in case the wom really explodes.

Any good comps for Ferdinand so far?

Tracking for Ferdinand according to Deadline and Hollywood Reporterhas it at around $15-20M, which I think is about spot-on.

For recent comps:

Alvin 4: $14.2M

Museum 3: $17.1M

Annie: $15.9M

Alvin 3: $23.2M

Yogi Bear: $16.4M

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Ferdinand could open to $15M and still make $100M+ in the end. Being the only animated film out for Christmas (aside from Coco, which is aging) will give it a big boost.

Very much agree. Unless the wom sucks, but it doesn't seem like it will from the 1st few reviews, and even Alvin 4, which had awful wom, got to 86M, so something with good wom probably will survive just long enough to make it past 100.

I'm not 100% certain Ferdinand will do it, but it has a good shot. And while I'm not a huge Cena fan in the WWE itself, I'm happy for the guy that he, much like The Rock and Batista, found himself a new platform to live on through Hollywood (though it only makes the Rock vs. Cena feud more meaningless as Cena is starting to become what he accused Rock of being).