grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

Behold the power of being a Best Picture nominee. Fandango's reported sales jumps for the Best Picture nominees:

The Shape of Water: 241%

Three Billboards/Lady Bird: "saw sales double"

Phantom Thread: 69%

Call Me by Your Name: 56%

Darkest Hour/The Post: 46%

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/shape-of-water-fandango-sales-oscar-nominations-1202675608/

My 22-screen theater really missed an opportunity with TSOW with that sales jump and the massive Tuesday bump it received. It's only playing once at 9:15 PM this weekend.

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

My 22-screen theater really missed an opportunity with TSOW with that sales jump and the massive Tuesday bump it received. It's only playing once at 9:15 PM this weekend.

It's splitting a screen with Three Billboards this weekend with each getting two shows a day at most theaters around me.

On the flipside, looking at my 14-screen theater, it just got TSOW for this weekend, and put up 4 showtimes. I guess because 22-screen already had it last week and had the same "1 show, 9 PM" song and dance last weekend, I guess they wanted to play it safe?

• Like 1

Most theaters around me are just pairing up the Best Picture nominees except The Post and Phantom Thread (which still gets a full day of shows). The latter and Call Me by Your Name stand to benefit the most from nominations (since the Oscar crowd is sure to turn up for them to see all the nominees before Oscar night).

MT.com this morning - Maze Runner both makes it on, and makes it to the top all in one go - would be nice to see it getting more of the market, but this is at least a decent sign for it.  Hostiles is still not on yet...

9.6% Maze Runner: The Death Cure

9% Padmaavat (Padmavati) (Hindi)

6.6% 12 Strong

6.3% Post, The

6.3% Greatest Showman, The

Maze Runner is doing okay at my theater but mostly I'm just watching how the Oscar fare is doing (Three Billboards, CMBYN, and Shape of Water - all of which are returning - have all sold a handful of seats throughout the weekend). The best thing about the Oscar movies is that they tend to behave like family films (due to the kind of audiences they draw - older adults, for the most part - more likely to show up on Saturday and Sunday afternoon).

6 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Excellent TC for SOW. I was hoping for 2k, but maybe that happens next week.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

And that'll be 2,813 theaters worth of empty seats!

It's Den of Thieves 2.0 :sparta: 

Peter Rabbit tickets are on sale now, and Sony isn't doing Thursday previews. Bombs away? Keep in mind they did previews for The Smurfs last year and added Emoji previews at the very last minute

Edited by WrathOfHan