grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Just now, ZeeSoh said:

Wtf does this even mean? Should Marvel stop making movies because they’re making too much money? Marvel makes 3 movies a year and if even that is too much for the hundreds of other movies then its not Marvel’s problem. Its not their problem that they make movies that people want to see. 

And if other movies cant make much money before or after an MCU movie then the other studios should not release the movies close to them. 

I didn’t say MCU should stop making movies. I never said that (in fact, i am a casual Marvel-fan and want to see more). Didn’t you read my post carefully? I just mean that they can make it unfair to some that aren’t MCU, like Solo’s floppage against IW.

Also, you are aware that movies last year, like BATB, Fast 8, Despicable Me 3, Star Wars: The Last Jedi & Jumanji 2 made more WW-wise than all the 3 MCU-movies they had. All of those movies (except for Jumanji 2 which still did great with $962M) made over $1B+ WW.

So i’m not against MCU or any other franchise with a billion-dollar grosser, at all. It’s just a sudden attitude with whenever a blockbuster does worse than expected, people just suddenly shout and give doom and gloom for it’s underperformance.

• Like 1

The fact that an  assumed 135 million ow has become a cause of celebration for a sequel to an 1.7 billion (and 650 million domestic) grossing film speaks volumes.

Thats like saying that an 150 million ow for A4 would be a reason for us to sing kumbaya.

3 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I didn’t say MCU should stop making movies. I never said that (in fact, i am a casual Marvel-fan and want to see more). Didn’t you read my post carefully? I just mean that they can make it unfair to some that aren’t MCU, like Solo’s floppage against IW.

Also, you are aware that movies last year, like BATB, Fast 8, Despicable Me 3, Star Wars: The Last Jedi & Jumanji 2 made more WW-wise than all the 3 MCU-movies they had. All of those movies (except for Jumanji 2 which still did great with $962M) made over $1B+ WW.

So i’m not against MCU or any other franchise with a billion-dollar grosser, at all. It’s just a sudden attitude with whenever a blockbuster does worse than expected, people just suddenly shout and give doom and gloom for it’s underperformance.

So then what exactly did you mean that Disney was getting too greedy with MCU movie and that it was unfair to other movies around it? What exactly in your opinion then Disney should do to make it fair?

2 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

The thing is , even without a tentpole avengers film or a cultural BP phenom, marvel had THREE  close  to one billion worldwide  films in 2017 and you have to put everything against them (from star  wars to f&f to animated films, basically the  whole movie industry)  to.....make them look bad, I don’t even get it .

Kinda wild how many posts in this thread are complaining about people intentionally painting JW as underperforming, whether they’re called a hater or MCU stan. I know JW has its fans, but I didn’t think it’d get to Star Wars or MCU v DC levels of conspiracy theories about people’s posts or opinions.

Taking all the data into account as well as the fact that it’s more walk up friendly compared to other franchises, I think JW:FK will open around $110-$130m. Has 8 Thursday showings at my theater, compared to 6 for IT, 10 for BP, 7 for IW, and 12 for DP2. It’s selling well and close to sold out for its first 4 shows, but is doing really badly for its later shows, with the ~11pm showings only selling a few seats. I would say it may end up comparably close to IT for previews given that it has 3D that IT didn’t. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

All of a sudden? You must've missed... the entire history of this board

Also Solo bombed in historic fashion and this is looking at an insane drop from the first, of course ppl are pulling out the popcorn

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Eeeeh, yes I hated it, it’s a terrible movie and I want it to do bad, I don’t see what’s the problem. I loved the first one and was rooting for it and never, not once did I complain that it beat AOU.

The thing is these underpredictions aren’t a result of hate, they are a result of the horrible presales, if presales were decent not even people that hate it would “underpredict” it.

Well....1st, the problem...again, is ”wishful thinking”. Keyword: wishful. You wish it to do worse because you hated it. And that mostly doesn’t work like that. Just because you hated it, doesn’t mean other people aren’t allowed to love it and want the film to do great at the box office. No matter what, it just doesn’t work like that, even with lower than expected presales.

And 2nd, it’s already done $449M OS so far, so you can’t force the whole world to avoid JW:FK at all cost. That’s like someone saying: ”Do not see SW: EP7 or EP8 because i hated that movie alone”. Again, and i know it’s repetitive to you....but...it really doesn’t work like that, dude. If it does $1B+ WW, don’t blame the people who loved it and supported it. I don’t care if you hated it, but you can’t assume the audience are idiots by giving their money to a movie you solely despise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

The thing is , even without a tentpole avengers film or a cultural BP phenom, marvel had THREE  close  to one billion worldwide  films in 2017 and you have to put everything against them (from star  wars to f&f to animated films, basically the  whole movie industry)  to.....make them look bad, I don’t even get it .

Same guy who doesn’t even get why there were some people liking movies such as JW2, lol.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Not nearly as epic as my fail of $105m prediction in the summer game.:ph34r:

I really don't get the choice of players aside from Kyrie. Shaq, sure. Reggie Miller, Chris Webber, Nate Robinson??? Who gives a shit? lmao

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

The fact that an  assumed 135 million ow has become a cause of celebration for a sequel to an 1.7 billion (and 650 million domestic) grossing film speaks volumes.

Thats like saying that an 150 million ow for A4 would be a reason for us to sing kumbaya.

It is remarkable how much all OW predictions have dropped for it. When I did the summer game predictions back in late April, my $144m prediction for OW was still a big lowball compared to most.

Edited by MovieMan89

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

It is remarkable how much all OW predictions have dropped for it. When I did the summer game prefictionsbsck in late April, my $144m prediction for OW was still a big lowball compared to most.

I have the lowest dom prediction in the entire game and it's 360. And I was really nervous about it being a lowball

Shoulda been nervous about my Incredible predict :sparta:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I really don't get the choice of players aside from Kyrie. Shaq, sure. Reggie Miller, Chris Webber, Nate Robinson??? Who gives a shit? lmao

Idk, I remember hearing several trailer reports if it going over well back when BP came out and got carried away lol.

11 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

So then what exactly did you mean that Disney was getting too greedy with MCU movie and that it was unfair to other movies around it? What exactly in your opinion then Disney should do to make it fair?

What i mean is: Disney should leave some breathing room for some other studios and their films to make tons of mass profits and hit records. Cause so far over a few years between 2016-2018....Disney has dominated the box office which they’ll do this year as well. The only year currently where they didn’t win was 2015 (even with TFA)..since that was Universal.

Reading the last few pages...

OMG!  Forget Solo, I'm having Justice League flashbacks with all the whining and persecution complex about people reporting data.

Be more like @Porthos.  Those Solo numbers broke his heart but he didn't blame the numbers or the posters reporting them (himself included)  for having an agenda.

This is a numbers and tracking thread.  We discuss patterns and data.   If it upsets you then please leave.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1