Plain Old Tele

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Infinity War is going below 400M

No way.  It is going to be enough of a spectacle that it will get over $400m.  

Civil War got over $400m and it didn't have a good portion of the Avengers.  

Infinity War is going to be a curiosity watch even if you haven't completely kept up.  The Avengers including Ant-Man and Black Panther, Guardians of the Galaxy showing up, Doctor Strange, etc....

• Like 5

CW was a sequel*, MOS was not.

*that too a three-quel (they usually show worse legs than two-quels due to same reason of sequelitis). On top of that new players (including someone huge like IM) were added. No point comparing with legs of an original movie like MOS.

1 minute ago, Brainiac5 said:

Again it may have underperformed but in terms of Shared universe it did fine.

Soon you all are gonna come to the realization that this universe has no flops and at the end of he day that matter more than any of them making a Billion.

We can't throw a 730+ Ww/315 average and throw it out the window as if it isn't an achievement.

It's about perspective, clearly there are different opinions that can come from the same numbers and I'll leave it at that. I honestly don't really care about how profitable it is, I'm more interested in how films do vs industry (and to a much lessor extent) fans/analyst expectations. 

Never knew about that Walmart situation. So if the "real" OW was $104,619,362 (OW minus 12million), the multi was 2.78x.....Is that generally accepted here or is it not the full story?

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

Infinity War is going to be a curiosity watch even if you haven't completely kept up.  The Avengers including Ant-Man and Black Panther, Guardians of the Galaxy showing up, Doctor Strange, etc....

This is actually a complete turn-off for people like me -- certainly a subset of "those who haven't completely kept up".

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

How did the opening do vs the summer game and Derby predictions out of curiosity? 

I went from $104 million to $110 million to this week's question in the summer game. Well I was dumb, buying into the hype. I think the median in the pre-season for Wonder Woman was like $110 million.

Just now, God Emperor Tele said:

This is actually a complete turn-off for people like me -- certainly a subset of "those who haven't completely kept up".

I hate having to watch every single MCU film just to understand the next one; Parts of CW were confusing when I saw it in theaters.

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

No way.  It is going to be enough of a spectacle that it will get over $400m.  

Civil War got over $400m and it didn't have a good portion of the Avengers.  

Hell I just want to see the Avengers reaction to meeting Rocket and vice versa...

Take my money Marvel...take my money...

1 minute ago, franfar said:

Never knew about that Walmart situation. So if the "real" OW was $104,619,362 (OW minus 12million), the multi was 2.78x.....Is that generally accepted here or is it not the full story?

OW- walmart was 116. 128 is with walmart. People normally go with 116.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, franfar said:

The real OW is $116M

Its 128M with Walmart 

• Like 1

Just now, God Emperor Tele said:

IMO we are going to be looking at a CW redux where the curious GA goes on OW causing a heavily frontloaded OW at about $185M-$210M but it has mediocre legs.

• Like 1

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

It's about perspective, clearly there are different opinions that can come from the same numbers and I'll leave it at that. I honestly don't really care about how profitable it is, I'm more interested in how films do vs industry (and to a much lessor extent) fans/analyst expectations. 

In this case, WW overperformed industry expectations (either slightly or significantly, depending on which ones you look at, I suppose). Fan expectations were all over the place -- surely they spiked a lot in the last several weeks but I would hazard a guess that most long-term fan predictions (from those who follow BO at least) were fairly low. 

The other interesting thing, for me, is that it's completely bucking the trend of other DC movies: warm reception, no fan-rush, looking relatively backloaded, etc. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

Thanks for the explanation! I kept seeing folks talk about Walmart sales or whatever and was confused lol but that makes total sense from a theaters perspective. Looking at it now I'm wondering why it was even a thing....unless Walmart was planning on giving them at a discounted price, I don't see why someone would buy a ticket for a specific movie from Walmart. 

Knowing this I have no idea why someone would include Walmart sales MoS OW lol 

It is one of those things everyone sitting around a table at a marketing brainstorm thinks is a great idea, but when you go to execute it they didn't consider half of the equation.  I'm sure they said "Hey, we can boost our opening weekend sales by $12m and offer a cool benefit to the fans" and everyone loved it.  

• Like 6

Just now, YourMother said:

IMO we are going to be looking at a CW redux where the curious GA goes on OW causing a heavily frontloaded OW at about $185M-$210M but it has mediocre legs.

That's my assumption too but we'll have to see how it plays out. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, God Emperor Tele said:

You can admit it. DC is paying you under the table aren't they. 

• Like 2