AniNate

BOT Member Meetup: Toronto, ON - September 2017

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think we should set a date soon. TIFF will have the schedule out soon and its the same rime frame every year. Sooner the better.

Did you just want to do one big gathering or multiple more impromptu smaller ones over the festival? I think the latter would work better since TIFF doesn't announce their slate until about a month before and people won't be sure what they want to/can see until then. We can keep using this thread right before and during the festival to find out what works for everyone.

So everyone knows, TIFF as a whole runs from the 7th through the 17th this year

Personally I think there should be one being meet up with everybody. And then after that you can have impromptu get-togethers. But even though it's going to be in Toronto I won't be able to come every single day to meet up with you guys. I do work obviously but I will be able to come at least once for sure and hopefully twice. So I think perhaps we should maybe find a day that we can all agree to meet up somewhere for lunch or dinner or drinks or whatever.

Also, at this point a trip to Cedar Point might be logistically easier for me. I'm in the process of looking for a full time job (Incidentally, there's one in Cleveland I might be landing an interview for @tribefan695) I think I could swing TIFF, but it would have to be Saturday-Sunday at best. I need to conserve my work days since I'm taking a big trip in October.

I'll try to be as flexible as I can, though! Thank you again tribefan for helping to put this together!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

ETHAN AND THE SEVEN EXES sounds like an Edgar Wright movie. 

I would be down with a film with overblown versions of my exes teaming up to attempt to kill me. That would be sweet

Edited by Ethan Hunt

1 hour ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

Also, at this point a trip to Cedar Point might be logistically easier for me. I'm in the process of looking for a full time job (Incidentally, there's one in Cleveland I might be landing an interview for @tribefan695) I think I could swing TIFF, but it would have to be Saturday-Sunday at best. I need to conserve my work days since I'm taking a big trip in October.

I'll try to be as flexible as I can, though! Thank you again tribefan for helping to put this together!

Well, if Cleveland goes through let me know and maybe we can work something out. 

9 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Just purchased the regular ticket package. Seems like almost a wash in price given the time I'm planning to go but I get to pick my films early, at least.

How many tickets did you pre-purchase :), city is a real buzz when festival is on people come from all over (not uncommon for people see 20-as high as 50 films..yeah) if you arrive Sunday be last day of street festival (closes a couple blocks of King St W for 1st four days foot traffic only). See something Midnight madness at the Ryerson (often before screening queue to get in can go almost around an entire city block). There's around 27 cinemas screen movies (includes several big venues  that are normally live shows and they take over all 14 screens includes Imax at Scotiabank complex )

They are cutting the number films in festival this year by about 20% (so still over 300 films to choose from lol) and cutting out two venues

• Like 1

The normal six-pack. I'm going to be there for about five days and I think that's enough to see a decent load of movies while not feeling overwhelmed, leaving enough time for tourism / meetups / maybe a Jays game. I know how long the lines can get, too.

I've yet to visit the St. Lawrence Market, Distillery District or Islands and thought I might work those in.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

If I did go, it would probably be leaving on Friday night or Saturday and coming home late Sunday or Monday.

And if it's playing, I'm DYING to see Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri. That or Disaster Artist or The Florida Project.

Just now, Jayhawk said:

What do the different ticket packages entitle you to? Can you go see the big stuff (assuming you have to wait in line to get in)?

TIFF's big world premiere screenings are all held in the first few days and are extremely expensive ($40-45 US a pop, and an advance multipack is $320). But I was able to get into a later Wild and The Voices screening for a relatively reasonable $14 with an under-25 discount (as well as Susanne Bier's "A Second Chance" and "Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet"). I think you'll able to get into films that will have had their premieres at Venice or Telluride first for a relatively affordable price. 

They also have packages of 10 daytime weekday screenings for $125 and six back half screenings for $80. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

What do the different ticket packages entitle you to? Can you go see the big stuff (assuming you have to wait in line to get in)?

all sorts packages , big stuff it depends if you want to see a premium session (cost up to $ca50+) at somewhere like Roy Thomson Hall (RTH :) ), there will be other regular sessions for those films. You can get tickets for a collection of films that the programmers choose for you, flex tickets ( of cause cheaper than singles) so buy a 6 pack or 10 pack 20 pack etc, weekday sessions only packages (sessions before 5pm)

When tickets go on sale you redeem. a lot of sessions will go "off-sale" pretty quick that doesn't mean it sold out it just means the current public allocation for the sessions is full, can check back regular or on day of screening see if any more tickets are released (there are tickets released on the day for most sessions marked as "off-sale" from 7am). then there are rush lines as well.

Edited by Wonder of Rth
  • Like 3