WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 130): Cars 53.7M | Wonder Woman 41.3M | All Eyez 26.4M | Mummy 14.5M | 47 Meters 11.2M | POTC 9M | Rough Night 8M

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

lmao @ Rough Night. I seriously question if we're going to have a comedy open over 20M this summer until Hitman's Bodyguard.

Hitman's Bodyguard is not doing 20M OW lol. Girls Trip seems like the one with the better chance to do it.

1 minute ago, Maitch said:

Interesting. How does a studio pressure a theater into keeping a movie?

Based on what theater employees here have said, normally it comes down to "Keep X movie this weekend or you aren't getting Y!" I believe EC was talking about a (hypothetical?) situation back in January where Sony gave incentives for keeping Underworld an extra week before Resident Evil, but I'm not sure if that was real or a simple scenario.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Hitman's Bodyguard is not doing 20M OW lol. Girls Trip seems like the one with the better chance to do it.

Why not? Buzz online is strong, and who would turn down a movie where the sole purpose of SLJ's character is to shout fuck?

Girls Trip might have very strong legs, but I don't see it opening over 20M. It has the least prolific cast out of all 7 comedies this summer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Based on what theater employees here have said, normally it comes down to "Keep X movie this weekend or you aren't getting Y!" I believe EC was talking about a (hypothetical?) situation back in January where Sony gave incentives for keeping Underworld an extra week before Resident Evil, but I'm not sure if that was real or a simple scenario.

How do you think The Mummy got over 4,000 theaters? Hint: little yellow things made it happen :ph34r:

• Like 2

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Why not? Buzz online is strong, and who would turn down a movie where the sole purpose of SLJ's character is to shout fuck?

Girls Trip might have very strong legs, but I don't see it opening over 20M. It has the least prolific cast out of all 7 comedies this summer.

You are underestimating the black audience. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Wow, few films into the DCU and already outgrosses all standalone Marvel films. Game over when Batman comes out, providing it is good.

They can actually beat Marvel's Phase One. Keep in mind that Marvel had six movies in Phase One. DC has five. 

• Like 1

What will be WONDR's drop next weekend considering there will some father's day compensation? close to 40%? That will give a ~25 weekend (assuming current weekend comes to 41).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Superhero movies saving this summer, while everything else is flopping or disappointing.

2018 is the do or die year for CBMs. There's over 10 CBMs next year.

• Like 2

Wow, few films into the DCU and already outgrosses all standalone Marvel films. Game over when Batman comes out, providing it is good.

WB owns all of DC brand. That's there biggest advantage over Disney and Marvel Studios, who can't make movies about all their heroes.

• Like 4

2018 is the do or die year for CBMs. There's over 10 CBMs next year

Yeah, that's crazy.

I can see the movies released very late like Aquaman and Dark Phoenix suffering because of the superhero overload.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

the pressure is on Disney to keep locations for GOTG 2 to retain #1 of the summer.  Usually May Marvel kickoffs do not have 1000 theaters over Fourth of July.  Disney is going to have to spend to buck that trend.  Wonder Woman should get double features with Dunkirk and a Labor-Day expansion.

I doubt most studios care about their films being the #1 movie of the summer, as long as they make an exceptionally good profit anyway. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

WB owns all of DC brand. That's there biggest advantage over Disney and Marvel Studios, who can't make movies about all their heroes.

For a while that was also kinda like a curse, since WB struggled to get non Batman / Superman film off the ground for so-long. WW has hopefully changed that. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Yeah, that's crazy.

I can see the movies released very late like Aquaman and Dark Phoenix suffering because of the superhero overload.

Dark Phoenix yes. Coming off Apocalypse and being a reboot of Last Stand.

I think Aquaman will do ok, since it is the only DC movie that year.