WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 130): Cars 53.7M | Wonder Woman 41.3M | All Eyez 26.4M | Mummy 14.5M | 47 Meters 11.2M | POTC 9M | Rough Night 8M

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I continue to be shocked by Pets making almost 370M. Especially if you look at the weekend holds and see that it never had any hold you would call "extraordinary" compared to a Zootopia or an Inside Out. Most of its holds are more than 35%, and it fell 51% and 42% in its first 2 weekends. It just had a ridiculously long tail post August.

Yeah. IO is fair comparison though not Zootp as releasing outside summer Zootp was gonna get better weekend holds anyway. But I see ur point. Did not expect it to beat DM2.

Re: Grace Randolph... I feel like a bit of an ass for making this assumption but I think it's clear she has a lot of internalized misogyny. I always want to like her but she is just so unfair to women vs. men, it really does aggravate me sometimes, lol. Her analysis on Atomic Blonde has frustrated me quite a bit too. Her standards for women are SO much higher than her standards for men.

Anyway.... she lost me on her last blog when she compared WW to The Mummy and said 'WW needed to drop 40% in its second weekend.' In what universe was that ever a requirement for any summer blockbuster?

Edited by nomyth
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, debarr said:

Grace is trying to hard to be a "centrist" and "impartial".

Its okay to root for a movie. Its okay to highlight the importance of WW sucess to hollywood and how that will shape the optics of movie studios exec.

There is no need to keep pandering to MRA. Which what I think she is doing.

"Backlash" / "Alan Heinberg is not getting enough credit" / Steve Trevor was a co-lead

emoji19.png

That’s what I notice; an insistence on being perceived as "one of the boys.” She said this week that beyond the scope of female-centered action films, WW’s weekly holds are not that big of a deal. Huh???

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, James said:

I love Grace, I really do. There's no other reviewer I respect more. But her BO reports are shit. And I am not talking about WW. She simply does not hate enough knowledge about how this industry works to make accurate videos.

I can think of at least ten people at BOT who are better than her at BO analysis.

• Like 4

Just now, Cochofles said:

I can think of at least ten people at BOT who are better than her at BO analysis.

Oh, man. Bummed that she's even a topic right. Her reviews that I've seen suck. Her analysis is often even more misguided. She's a joke. No offense to those that like her stuff. Just ain't for me. Nothing, and I mean, nothing can be said to diminish Wonder Woman's current longevity after it's OW. Now, unless it somehow legs it out to $500M+ DOM, things can definitely be argued regarding it's impact compared to quite a few other blockbusters with far more impact in the last decade or so.

• Like 1

@WrathOfHan

Film (Distributor) Release
Date
Trailer
Link
Opening
Weekend
YT Trailer
Views
OW to YT
Ratio
All Eyez on Me (Lionsgate / Summit) Jun. 16, 2017 YouTube Trailer $27.050 M 10.808 M 2.503
Rough Night (Sony / Columbia) Jun. 16, 2017 YouTube Trailer $8.050 M 5.259 M 1.531
47 Meters Down (Entertainment Studios) Jun. 16, 2017 YouTube Trailer $11.500 M 9.089 M 1.265
Cars 3 (Disney) Jun. 16, 2017 YouTube Trailer $53.547 M 75.283 M 0.711
The Book of Henry (Focus) Jun. 16, 2017 YouTube Trailer $1.407 M 2.402 M 0.586

It Comes At Night (A24) Jun. 9, 2017 YouTube Trailer $5.988 M 10.785 M 0.555
The Mummy (Universal) Jun. 9, 2017 YouTube Trailer $31.688 M 57.897 M 0.547
Megan Leavey (Bleecker Street) Jun. 9, 2017 YouTube Trailer $3.811 M 10.099 M 0.377

Captain Underpants:
The First Epic Movie (Fox / DWorks Anim.)
Jun. 2, 2017 YouTube Trailer $23.852 M 8.725 M 2.734
Wonder Woman (Warner Bros.) Jun. 2, 2017 YouTube Trailer $103.251 M 84.205 M 1.226

Pirates of the Caribbean:
Dead Men Tell No Tales (Disney)
May 26, 2017 YouTube Trailer $62.983 M 34.990 M 1.800
Baywatch (Paramount) # May 25, 2017 YouTube Trailer $18.504 M 21.764 M 0.850

Everything, Everything (Warner Bros.) May 19, 2017 YouTube Trailer $11.727 M 5.550 M 2.113
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul (Fox) May 19, 2017 YouTube Trailer $7.126 M 3.836 M 1.858
Alien: Covenant (Fox) May 19, 2017 YouTube Trailer $36.161 M 45.615 M 0.793

Snatched (Fox) May 12, 2017 YouTube Trailer $19.542 M 7.791 M 2.508
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (Warner Bros.) May 12, 2017 YouTube Trailer $15.371 M 28.187 M 0.545
Lowriders (BH Tilt) May 12, 2017 YouTube Trailer $2.404 M 4.496 M 0.535

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Disney) May 5, 2017 YouTube Trailer $146.510 M 57.324 M 2.556

How to Be a Latin Lover (Lionsgate / Pantelion) Apr. 28, 2017 YouTube Trailer $12.252 M 7.394 M 1.657
The Circle (STX / EuropaCorp) Apr. 28, 2017 YouTube Trailer $9.034 M 11.145 M 0.811
Sleight (BH Tilt) Apr. 28, 2017 YouTube Trailer $1.702 M 11.175 M 0.152

Born in China (Disneynature) Apr. 21, 2017 YouTube Trailer $4.790 M 0.508 M 9.424
Free Fire (A24) Apr. 21, 2017 YouTube Trailer $0.994 M 1.061 M 0.937
Unforgettable (Warner Bros.) Apr. 21, 2017 YouTube Trailer $4.785 M 5.387 M 0.888
The Promise (Open Road) Apr. 21, 2017 YouTube Trailer $4.096 M 6.354 M 0.645
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Also, for whatever reason, I follow Grace Randolph's box office show, and her comments on Wonder Woman's 3rd weekend hold?

"It's good, but Gal Gadot's "Your wife/My wife" shirt sucks, and... it's not that impressive because The Dark Knight had a high 3rd weekend number and was almost at 400M while WW is under 300".

Did anyone tell [mod edit: her] that Wonder Woman opened to 60 fucking million less than The Dark Knight as well? I don't think so.

Honestly, considering WW's run, I wouldn't rule out any possibilities at this point. Deep down, I admit that I'm still rooting for GOTG V2 to maintain #1 just cause I kinda feel sorry for Marvel not getting a #1 film of the Summer since 2014 (which, ironically, was won by the 1st Guardians) - and also because I think it's a very good movie too, but if there's one film that I have zero problems beating it, it's Wonder Woman.

I think that Spider-Man's weekend will be the w/e that dictates how far WW will go - w/a big competitor for the same audience + theater drops to deal with.

I keep trying to like Grace's stuff, but she just finds negativity where there isn't any. That shirt is awesome, btw, and when people get upset over it I just gotta say "Lighten up".

I'm really loving WW's run, and I think one of the reasons is that it is a landmark film that WILL change the way the studios and audiences interact with future works. In that way, it is very similar to the way GOTG1 proved that you can take a relatively unknown and unlikely comic book character(s) and if you do it right, you can be successful with it and audiences will connect with it. That's much more exciting than the sequels, which generally just copy and paste their way to success.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Oh, man. Bummed that she's even a topic right. Her reviews that I've seen suck. Her analysis is often even more misguided. She's a joke. No offense to those that like her stuff. Just ain't for me. Nothing, and I mean, nothing can be said to diminish Wonder Woman's current longevity after it's OW. Now, unless it somehow legs it out to $500M+ DOM, things can definitely be argued regarding it's impact compared to quite a few other blockbusters with far more impact in the last decade or so.

The thing that irks me is that she fails to factor in all the stuff that WW had against it that it overcame, with following three not-exactly-loved  DCEU duds being a huge hurdle. WW is not Star Wars, Batman, a Disney princess, MCU or directed by Cameron. Tons of people thought it would flop or underperform, and many were gleefully anticipating the fourth DCEU stinker in a row to pound on its carcass. The entire industry thrived on gloon n doom articles about the slim chances that it had and how the odds were stacked against it. And yet...here we have it: a critically acclaimed mini-box office juggernaut that might end up being the DCEU’s biggest domestic earner, and all she can come up with is, ”well, it ain't no TDK”... :P

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 7

I really can't with Grace's blog this week. She has no clue what she's talking about regarding female directors.

People love to just say, make more movies women. They have no idea how unbelievably complicated it actually is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

The thing that irks me is that she fails to factor in all the stuff that WW had against it that it overcame, with following three not-exactly-loved  DCEU duds being a huge hurdle. WW is not Star Wars, Batman, a Disney princess, MCU or directed by Cameron. Tons of people thought it would flop or underperform, and many were gleefully anticipating the fourth DCEU stinker in a row to pound on its carcass. The entire industry thrived on gloon n doom articles about the slim chances that it had and how the odds were stacked against it. And yet...here we have a mini-juggernaut, and all she can come up with is, ”well, it ain't no TDK”... :P

And that's the inherently sexist part imo. Everyone who is undermining WW just because it's not as big as the top 3 superhero movies of all time are placing the film under such unfair scrutiny.

Huh. When did Dan Garris start up Box Office Report again?

I remember on the original forums for it I made a prediction in 2005 or so that the first Transformers would do 250m or more. I got ridiculed for it.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, PRESIDENT BKB said:

Why do you folks let this woman bother you with her review of this?? What difference does it make?? The movie is more than Certified FRESH, Has made a bunch of $$$$$ now and actually gives BATMAN a much needed rest from how many times over the years we've seen him on the big screen that it's actually grown old now and puts WONDER WOMAN in the spotlight now... 

The reason Grace, specifically, bothers me is because she is a fairly well known female blogger who perpetuates a lot of Hollywood's sexist narrative. She undermines and scrutinizes women constantly and, as others have said, she panders to MRA's.

If she didn't perpetuate sexism against women in the industry, I would have absolutely no problem with her. In fact, I'd be a big fan.

• Like 1

I think that Frozen's run was hilarious. It felt like it would never die.

Didnt follow it but looking at it right now, it must have been great fun to watch.

Wonder Woman is my second favourite of those I've watched close behing Get Out.

Generally, leggy runs are the best. No matter how big an OW is, frontloadness takes away the whole excitement.

Outside of Okja, my most anticipated movie this month is directed by a woman... Can't wait to see Sofia Coppola's take on The Beguiled. She adapted the screenplay too. Another I can't wait to see this month is Ana Lily Amirpour's The Bad Batch. Directed and wrote the original screenplay. I get riled up for box office returns, etc. but, honestly, if I had it my way, Jenkins would use the acclaim of Wonder Woman to make a killer mid-budget movie. I want to see if there's anything she's been sitting on. Monster was fascinating. And, I'm glad that, whether asked or not, Coppola, Amirpour, DuVernay, Bigelow, Nair, Hardwicke, Kusama, Kent and many more are not directing major Hollywood blockbusters with mega budgets. I prefer to see them let lose elsewhere on stories/subjects that fascinate them and inspire them. This applies to most male directors I adore as well. I usually do not want to see them bogged down behind a sequel, orr worse, a trilogy that keeps them from working on other projects for 4 to 8 years. My favorite James Gunn flick is Slither. Man, I can't wait until he's done with Guardians. With his new Hollywood cred, I can't wait to see what he's got up his sleeve. Same goes for Waititi and Coogler, kill it with your MCU flick and then, please, please, please move on back to what you were doing before. I hope this applies to Jenkins too after Wonder Woman 2. Or, hell, after Wonder Woman.

It'll be fascinating to see who shines most directing the upcoming season of Jessica Jones. Which, if I recall correctly, will have each episode directed by a woman. Who's episodes stand apart from the rest. I'd very, very much believe the best directors will get a look from WB/Fox/Disney to helm the right project.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1