WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 130): Cars 53.7M | Wonder Woman 41.3M | All Eyez 26.4M | Mummy 14.5M | 47 Meters 11.2M | POTC 9M | Rough Night 8M

12 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Sure, it follows the basic hero's journey model of basically every action/adventure movie ever. 

You've probably been telling people this ever since Gilgamesh was first written.

• Like 3

Cars speeds to the top spot! Tupac surprises.

Lightning Mcqueen was the choice for dads this weekend. While the Tupac biopic All Eyez On Me, and Shark thriller 47 Meters Down had outgrossed expectations. And Rough Night was tame.

overall the top 12 was at $182.1 million which was up nearly 27 percent from last year. 

Cars 3 won the top spot this weekend with an estimated $53.5 million, and was Pixar's 13th film to debut at number one. That debut is the lowest grossing debut of the Cars franchise, and the lowest debut in recent  years. With not too bad word of mouth(a solid 79% audience score), and a weekend with decent holding power coming up. Although with Despicable Me 3 comes next week, and a crowded July slate, Cars 3 should be a modest performer. Look for Cars 3 to make $145-$150 million.

Wonder Woman still holding on strong with a solid 30% drop with an estimated $40.7 million, with not any competition until July 7th. Look for Diana Prince to swing around DC Extended Universe's highest grossing film domestic with a domestic take around $360 million.

Although front-loaded, Tupac Shakur biopic All Eyez On Me had outgrossed expectations with an estimated $27 million. That debut is nowhere near the debut of Straight Outta Compton two summers ago, or the level of 8 Mile. But it is an improvement from the debut of Tupac's old friend Biggie Smalls with Notorious. With audiences liking it better than critics(a solid 70% audience score), and some competition coming All Eyez should have ok holds. Look for All Eyez to make around $70-$75 million. 

Last weekend's opener, The Mummy dropped as expected with a drop around 56% which is on-par with Dracula Untold's second-weekend drop three years ago. Although the film has had made some cash  overseas, The Mummy is stil not coming out of her tomb. The Mummy should make around $70 million stateside.

Rounding the top five, 47 Meters Down had a better than expected debut with an estimated $11.5 million. Which is less than the debut of last June's The Shallows, but nonetheless a successful start for a film that's not being headlined by a big studio. With not so-great word of mouth and completion, look for 47 meters to make around $30 million.

Pirates of the Caribbean:Dead Men Tell No Tales had a decent hold this weekend, and should come close to $160 million.

The weekend's last nationwide new release Rough Night sobered up with an estimated $8 million. Which is actress Scarlett Johansson's lowest grossing debut since The Nanny Diaries. The film's debut was also reminiscent of Cameron Diaz's headlined comedy The Sweetest Thing back in the spring of 2002, which had also debuted lower than expectations with an under $10 million debut.

The film was also not marketed too grand by the studio as the film that wasn't sure if it was a straight comedy or a dark comedy. Also with mixed to not so good word of mouth, look for Rough Night to blackout around $25 million.

As for the remainder holdovers, Captian Underpants held up fine with a close to 40% drop, and should make $70 million. It Comes At Night had a typical drop for a horror film,and should come close to $15 million.Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 saw a small drop, and should come close to $400 million. Megan Leavey had a decent drop, and should make $10 million. Baywatch still being shot down, and should make $60 million.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I like the first CAP quite a bit, but the whole second half feels like one giant unfocused montage. And of course the Sebastian Stan black hole doesn't help. 

They do take Bucky out pretty quickly in the film though. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think It will buck the trend of number 4 since it's based on a novel and it's higher budget for a horror at $32m. 

Mid budget films can make money, look at Hidden Figures or Sully which did fantastic in the dead months. 

I agree, but IT, Hidden Figures and Sully are the exceptions that confirm the rule. Even with a $32M budget which is very high for a horror film, it's still small budget compared to your average studio blockbuster, so IT will only be a very partial break with the horror-film pattern. 

16 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

5) High-caliber (or reasonably high-caliber) movies that appeal to attention-starved adults (especially in the fall/winter). 

Maybe so, but the money being made there is much less (as well as much less guaranteed) than in the other cases. 

14 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Wonder Woman is an american centric, irrational phenomenon.

In the land of free, people have convinced themselves the movie is the second coming.

Outside of the US o A, the movie was met with a polite : "I guess that was ok/good."

Isn't it strange this jarring difference ?

:sherlock:

There is definitely a sociological/ideological/political element behind Wonder Woman's epic success in the United States. It would be very naive to deny that. The same impulse however (even though to a far lesser degree) exists in many different parts of the world. Here in Cyprus, I noticed a considerably elevated % of women in the Wonder Woman audience. 

TWS - better structure

WW - personal preference

TFA

CW

Personally I find Cap himself as interesting as a coat of wet paint so in his films the other characters are what I care about. 

Edited by ChiSoxRox

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

Maybe he could get J.J. Abrams and Jonathan Hensleigh to write the script with a polish by Robert Towne (and others) again. 

Quentin Tarantino can come into do some ghost-writing punch-up dialogue too. Should be good!

Edit: Gittes already make the joke. These threads go way too fast sometimes. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Wonder Woman is an american centric, irrational phenomenon.

In the land of free, people have convinced themselves the movie is the second coming.

Outside of the US o A, the movie was met with a polite : "I guess that was ok/good."

Isn't it strange this jarring difference ?

:sherlock:

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Okay so Wonder Woman is $26M behind GOTG2's pace.  It started out $43M behind so it's now shaved off $17M.  About $6M in it's 3rd weekend. Still going strong during the week. Guardians had a 40% drop over the true holiday and then 53% the following weekend.  I don't think WW will catch it but it will be pretty close which nobody expected. 

27 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I am enjoying these Wonder Woman hater tears. It fuels me.

It's almost...divine. Like a godly bolt of Olympian lightning. It makes one stronger...strong enough to take on war deities. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

well we all know how I feel about Civil War. I'd say TWS is the same tier as WW

I know your personal opinion about CW but as a fan of these characters it's a top tier CBM to me. WW is still in my top 6 though. (Donner's Superman, CW, TDK, TWS, Logan, WW). 

• Like 2