John Marston

Thursday Numbers (June 22): TF5 8.1M, Cars 3 4.4M, WW 4M (Deadline)

Honestly, Paramount could be the major studio that churns out smaller, well-made sleeper hits. Their major blockbuster franchises (TMNT, Baywatch, Transformers, Terminator, Star Trek) have all stalled, and Mission: Impossible looks like the only thing they have left. They should at least use M:I to fund smaller projects. Might help them earn some respect, at the very least.

Edited by Eevin

Just now, Gopher said:

There are gonna be some EMPTYY IMAX theaters on July 4th this year 

:ohmygod:

Isn't DM3 getting IMAX?

*Googles*

.........Jesus Christ. Universal better start working on a last minute deal now.

Just now, Eevin said:

Honestly, Paramount could be the major studio that churns out smaller, well-made sleeper hits. Their major blockbuster franchises (TMNT, Baywatch, Transformers, Terminator) have all stalled, Star Trek isn't looking good either, and Mission: Impossible looks like the only thing they have left. They should at least use M:I to fund smaller projects. Might help them earn some respect, at the very least.

Star Trek Beyond didn't even double its budget. That franchise is stalled as well

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

Worse than I think anyone expected. Transformers is completely dead in the states.  Overseas will still do well I'm sure but fuck, they have something to really think about if it's completely dead here. Can you continue to churn out $200M+ productions + advertising when in my view this will begin to decline overseas also..   i think the franchise needs a break

It's declining O/S as well if early numbers from SK, HK, Russia and Germany are any indication - 30-50% drops.  Even China is looking at a decline and the market has exploded there in the last three years since the last opened..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

So a Power Rangers movie might end up having a higher 3-day OW than a Transformers movie, an Alien movie and a Tom Cruise starring Mummy movie. Who saw that as a possibility at the start of the year?

Wonder Woman's total gross might end up above all of those combined.

• Like 2

Just now, TalismanRing said:

It's declining O/S as well if early numbers from SK, HK, Russia and Germany are any indication - 30-50% drops.  Even China is looking at a decline and the market has exploded there in the last three years since the last opened..

Rth said this in the Aus thread as well:

3 hours ago, Wonder of Rth said:

Transformers Extinct could earn less than 1/2 of AOE /T2007

• Like 3

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

For Hailee and Travis Knight's sakes (but mostly Hailee's), Bumblebee needs to go into Paramount's recycle bin.

think it is too far in production. Also, the budget shouldn't be too high. Paramount still needs anything that could make even a dollar of profit

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Transformers to come back in like 2023 with the reboot and just completely copy/paste the G1 cartoon.  Nothing against Bay but his time is up.  

I also would like to see a hard reboot of G.I. Joe. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Eevin said:

Honestly, Paramount could be the major studio that churns out smaller, well-made sleeper hits. Their major blockbuster franchises (TMNT, Baywatch, Transformers, Terminator) have all stalled, Star Trek isn't looking good either, and Mission: Impossible looks like the only thing they have left. They should at least use M:I to fund smaller projects. Might help them earn some respect, at the very least.

Gianopulos is trying to reinvigorate the studio.  Read his interview with THR.  They still have Cruise, Leo, the Cloverfield films, Mission Impossible, Top Gun 2, Bruckheimer, Abrams, World War Z 2, Jackass/Knoxville, Hasbro, Nickelodeon, etc.  Add in their vast library of older movies, and they'll be fine.  They just need to get out of their slump.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Eevin said:

Quality wise they had a very good Fall last year with Arrival, Fences and Silence but the budgets on Silence and Allied  wiped out the profits.  Earlier in the year they had Everybody Wants Some and Florence but neither were money makers with their respective budgets.  They need at least one solid tent pole a year and MI once every 2-3 years isn't enough. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Transformers to come back in like 2023 with the reboot and just completely copy/paste the G1 cartoon.  Nothing against Bay but his time is up.  

I also would like to see a hard reboot of G.I. Joe. 

yeah no way is Paramount ending this franchise. They will reboot and make it an August franchise likely

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Isn't DM3 getting IMAX?

*Googles*

.........Jesus Christ. Universal better start working on a last minute deal now.

The most formal response Hollywood gives to "yes, we know this tentpole bombed" is whenever a studio brokers a deal for the next biggest release to get IMAX theaters quickly. Alice 2 --> Turtles 2. Tomorrowland --> San Andreas. Terminator --> Minions. 

• Like 1

Like I said the other day, I see little reason to be concerned about Paramount's slate for the rest of the year. Their three main releases in October and November will all gross over 70M with a shot at 100M, and Downsizing could hit that range too if test screenings continue to improve.

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Quality wise they had a very good Fall last year with Arrival, Fences and Silence but the budgets on Silence and Allied  wiped out the profits.  Earlier in the year they had Everybody Wants Some and Florence but neither were money makers with their respective budgets.  They need at least one solid tent pole a year and MI once every 2-3 years isn't enough. 

So they gotta do Mission Impossible every year. Work Tom Cruise down to the bone.

They can have a rotating set of directors all working on their own stuff so when one is finished Tom Cruise is done with one, he's handed over to the next.

Hire me Paramount.

• Like 2