grim22

June 23-25 Weekend Thread | TF5 45M, Cars 3 24.0, Wonder Woman 24.9 (10th highest 4th weekend of all time and biggest 4th weekend of 2017)

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Is that Hunger Games theme park wherever it's supposed to be still happening? lol talk about a bad idea.

The point is that more than ever people want to go inside their favorite movies, I'm not sure how well Avatarland will do but I don't think it will be poorly. Hunger Games doesn't seem like a great idea but who knows? 

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Ocean's 8 and Meg.

Both films that relate to water.

No disrespect to Riri and sharks but these two movies are no tentpole material to me.

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

No disrespect to Riri and sharks but these two movies are no tentpole material to me.

But they are?  They're films intended to make money and are given sizable budgets.  Those sound like tentpoles to me.

9 minutes ago, narniadis said:

What the heck happened with the Friday increases?? Although its still not enough to save All Eyez (or am I being banned for being negative toward this film almost every day?)  Transformers from a poor 5 day gross.

Maybe this?  Kind of got lost in the Han threadban debate.

1 hour ago, kdx125 said:

Tropical Storm Cindy made landfall on the Louisiana-Texas border around 7pm Wednesday, then cut a circular arc across the southeast towards Washington, DC.  The bad weather would have extended far ahead of and behind the storm's actual center.

Houston/Harris is an enormous market and Lafayette/Baton Rouge/New Orleans taken together aren't chopped liver, plus all the inland areas that were affected.  This could account for the Wednesday drops being fairly harsh in spite of muted Tuesday increases, with Friday finally making it up.

It's been fun watching Wondy's numbers but catching up on this weekend thread is weirding me out. I'd rather skip the Wonder Woman backlash that I can feel forming, so I might be around to see how rough Valerian lands.

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

The point is that more than ever people want to go inside their favorite movies, I'm not sure how well Avatarland will do but I don't think it will be poorly. Hunger Games doesn't seem like a great idea but who knows? 

The Hunger Games land sounds like poor idea without a good way to execute it. What are they going to do turn it into a virtual reality where you can take part in the games? Sounds like a psychological nightmare waiting to happen (from my perspective.) As if Kids today need more ways to engage in violence.

Personal note, I would love to visit Avatarland, but I really enjoyed the film and would love to enter that world - same with HP and SW. Cars land on the other hand... lol not my demographic lol.

• Like 1

Just now, kdx125 said:

Maybe this?  Kind of got lost in the Han threadban debate.

It's possible although unlikely since there have storms and bad weather before. However I'm at a loss to know and thats with 15 years of tracking to look back on. A Mid-week 4k theater opener coupled with bad weather could definitely be the combo needed to make it happen.

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

scrolling through Amazon Prime looking for something to watch.

"oh I could give Magnolia a go"

looks at runtime

"or maybe not"

Truth! LOL anymore I don't have time to watch films over the 2.5h mark without breaking them up - just too busy.

5 minutes ago, narniadis said:

The Hunger Games land sounds like poor idea without a good way to execute it. What are they going to do turn it into a virtual reality where you can take part in the games? Sounds like a psychological nightmare waiting to happen (from my perspective.) As if Kids today need more ways to engage in violence.

Personal note, I would love to visit Avatarland, but I really enjoyed the film and would love to enter that world - same with HP and SW. Cars land on the other hand... lol not my demographic lol.

The problem with a Hunger Games theme park is that even if you take away the violent aspect of the series, you're basically left with political allegories (which made up the mostly unloved back half of the movie franchise). Not much potential there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

scrolling through Amazon Prime looking for something to watch.

"oh I could give Magnolia a go"

looks at runtime

"or maybe not"

I did the same thing with Mulholland Drive for months...

Boy do I not regret putting it on the other day

Don't let runtime dissuade you :qotd:

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

The problem with a Hunger Games theme park is that even if you take away the violent aspect of the series, you're basically left with political allegories (which made up the mostly unloved back half of the movie franchise). Not much potential there.

Yup - nothing to see here folks, keep moving along lol.

It really is a terrible idea for a theme park - now maybe an attraction in a park, that might work but still not sure how it would come together.

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

The Han ban is one of the issues we are seriously having on this board.... If Han had been making fun of or being salty over any other film nobody would bat an eye. where was the rule book Tuesday-Friday when everyone else was pitching their knives and shotguns at the Transformers fans??

Its the inconsistency and the infantile mentality of some fanboys on this board that make it hard to enjoy being here much anymore.

Oh and someday people will look back at WW and realize that they got caught up in the momentary hype and the film isn't the second coming that all the sunshine and rainbow people make it out to be. Then we can have intelligent conversation about it's many many faults (as well as the many things it does right.)

**On Topic**

What the heck happened with the Friday increases?? Although its still not enough to save All Eyez (or am I being banned for being negative toward this film almost every day?)  Transformers from a poor 5 day gross.

Ok, here is my two cents as a very new member on this forum, keeping in mind that I don't have a history here and I respect that I don't know much about this community:

It became apparent to me right away that Han was not criticizing WW on the merits of the film itself, but from a point of misogyny, and his comments over the last 24 hours bears that out. I suspect that for Han, WW became a lightning rod for his personal issues with females, and it getting the high praise and adulation that it did just aggravated him.

It's fine to not like a film because it doesn't match your tastes; that's the subjective matter of film critique. But to continuously put down a movie, and basically hound its fans and act like a troll, especially without being able to objectively defend your position, makes the forum experience for those fans less enjoyable for no good reason.

Admittedly I am a huge WW fan, and I have pointed out exactly why I like it and why I think it is a landmark film in pretty decent detail, and am willing to defend my opinion on those merits.

It seems to me Han has some maturing to do, and I hope this minor ban will allow him to reflect on his attitudes. If you hate a film for whatever reason, it makes no sense to jump into threads specifically supporting that film and start complaining non-stop about it. If you must, say your piece and move on unless somebody invites you to discuss it further, at which point lay out an actual argument and defend it, and accept at some point that some issues are simply a matter of taste and you can't really change somebody's taste in something.

• Like 2