Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

6 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Sorry next time I'll make sure to put live action,  I wouldn't predict the upcoming Spider-Man animated film to do $120M.  Batman vs. Superman with horrible reviews and coming off a Man of Steel that was divisive did $166M OW.  That is roughly $45M  more than Man of Steel.  Most of the marketing was Batman, Batman, Batman.  I think it would do $120M.  

Wonder Woman coming off a cameo in BvS did $103M.   Spider-Man coming off a cameo in Civil War should absolutely do more than WW.  It has positive reviews and it's extremely kid friendly. Spider-Man is much more popular than WW. 

See this is the part where I don't get. Im not saying you've said this but it came up earlier with the presales situation and something that's been brought up a lot in regards to Spidey. Ive seen other posters talking about how folks are complaining about yet another Spider-man film and how they're sick of spider man blah blah blah. So here's my question: If people really are sick and tired of Spider-man like folks are claiming, then why on Earth would it do well at the box office? Why would it make more OW than Wonder Woman, a movie some folks have been waiting forever for? This is the sixth spider man in less than 20 years. If it opens around WW then id call that a win for the studio. 

Personally, I think SMH opens at around $110M which would be really really good for a sixth spider man film in less than 20 years. It would be the third biggest OW for a Spider-man solo film. And I think if that's where it opens, Sony is going to be really happy with that result....especially when you consider where the franchise was headed. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Wonder Woman is now only $9 million behind Guardians 2 at the same point, but after the 5th weekend G2 started to get great legs. WW is going to face a massive opener in each of the next 3 weekends: Spider-man, Apes, and of course, Valerian.

I think it's going to be an exciting race between the 2. Great year for comic book movies. :hi5:

Wouldn't it be awesome if every CBM barring Logan and Lego Batman did over $300M domestic. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Annabelle Creation is the only appealing movie to the GA besides maybe Hitman's Bodyguard or Detroit in August.  I done messed up leaving it out of my summer game.

Can't wait for ANNABELLE: CREATION! 

I've said it before: I'm a sucker for the Conjuring franchise movies and will eat up all the spin-offs as well, unless they look really bad or stupid. But that's the thing about these movies that have made them so big: they're actually good. They garner pretty solid critical reception and box office dollars for horror movies.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I am literally astonished watching this thread the last days, seeing how much hate one can have for a thing as harmless as a kids movie.

Not liking something is normal but it's weird that people  online usually hope something fails so no more get made. This site is no different sadly 

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I've said it before: I'm a sucker for the Conjuring franchise movies and will eat up all the spin-offs as well, unless they look really bad or stupid. But that's the thing about these movies that have made them so big: they're actually good. They garner pretty solid critical reception and box office dollars for horror movies.

WB should turn it into a true cinematic universe, because it's playing as one.

Edited by The Panda

Just now, John Marston said:

Not liking something is normal but it's weird that people  online usually hope something fails so no more get made. This site is no different sadly 

Look I'd be butt hurt too if someone made billions and billions of dollars over something so silly such as a bunch of talking cars :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

See this is the part where I don't get. Im not saying you've said this but it came up earlier with the presales situation and something that's been brought up a lot in regards to Spidey. Ive seen other posters talking about how folks are complaining about yet another Spider-man film and how they're sick of spider man blah blah blah. So here's my question: If people really are sick and tired of Spider-man like folks are claiming, then why on Earth would it do well at the box office? Why would it make more OW than Wonder Woman, a movie some folks have been waiting forever for? This is the sixth spider man in less than 20 years. If it opens around WW then id call that a win for the studio. 

Personally, I think SMH opens at around $110M which would be really really good for a sixth spider man film in less than 20 years. It would be the third biggest OW for a Spider-man solo film. And I think if that's where it opens, Sony is going to be really happy with that result....especially when you consider where the franchise was headed. 

I don't think I was here for that discussion but I'm not seeing any evidence of Spidey fatigue or anything like that.  The last movie TASM2 did over $700M WW and that was a movie that was pretty much hated by everyone.  It did $91M OW.  So I think that's the floor right now for a Spider-Man film.  This one has good reviews and it's set in the MCU.  I don't see a reason why it shouldn't do much more than the last.   I'm saying if it doesn't then something is up..  someone dropped the ball somewhere.  

• Like 1

• Community Manager
7 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

You're acting like I have an issue with kids enjoying themselves at the movies or that I need every movie to be made specifically for me. I don't.  If you read my posts last year about Secret Life of Pets it's not my thing but for a kids movie I thought it was a great idea and I was happy to see it do well.  So right there that tells you I don't need these movies to be for me.  My issue is with Pixar and Disney putting out this BS of a movie for no other reason than to sell more toys,  it's corporate greed and there is no effort into making it a good movie.  So yes, I am happy that the movie is falling hard. 

But the movie is fresh on RT? It has a 76 percent audience score on RT-3 percent lower than the first one and a huge improvement over the 50 percent of the second one. It has an A in Cinemascore which for some reason people like to point out.

No effort into making it a good movie? It's pretty clear after having watched it and it's beautiful backgrounds that they put in a lot of effort in that department.

No effort into making it a good movie? The filmmakers spent a lot of energy and effort to make it.

You can be cynical all you want but the movie is far better received than Cars 2. 

• Like 2

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

WB should turn it into a true cinematic universe, because it's playing as one.

The poster for Annabelle 2 at the Sundance theaters says it's the next movie in the Conjuring universe.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I don't think I was here for that discussion but I'm not seeing any evidence of Spidey fatigue or anything like that.  The last movie TASM2 did over $700M WW and that was a movie that was pretty much hated by everyone.  It did $91M OW.  So I think that's the floor right now for a Spider-Man film.  This one has good reviews and it's set in the MCU.  I don't see a reason why it shouldn't do much more than the last.   I'm saying if it doesn't then something is up..  someone dropped the ball somewhere.  

That's not what you said. You said there's no reason why it shouldn't open over $120M. That's why this discussion even began. So now you're changing your stance on the film to it just needing to open over TASM2. There's a huge huge difference between opening over $120M and opening over $92M. Of course under TASM2 would be disappointing. But if it doesn't open to $120M+ that shouldn't be considered a disappointment. Anything over $100M would be a good start for this. 

Edited by Nova

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

You can be cynical all you want but the movie is far better received than Cars 2. 

Then why did it just fall 60%? DM3 underperformed by quite a bit.  It wasn't like there was this huge rush to get out to DM3 this weekend and it slaughtered everything in it's wake.  Saying the movie is better than Cars 2..  I mean,  I don't know if that's saying much.   

I was looking at the schedule for comedies outright ones  and honestly I don't see there being a shot at one making 100 million until November.  And even that's iffy

5 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Since we are being cynical today, the only reason DM3 exists is to sell toys and corporate greed. Sad!

And to sell childhood obesity at McDonald's! Apple slices? Give me a break.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

Since we are being cynical today, the only reason DM3 exists is to sell toys and corporate greed. Sad!

The only reason most movies exist is to make money and corporate greed.  Sad!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Dont forget it's just a big theme park advertisement!

• Like 1

• Community Manager
Just now, Johnny Tran said:

Then why did it just fall 60%? DM3 underperformed by quite a bit.  It wasn't like there was this huge rush to get out to DM3 this weekend and it slaughtered everything in it's wake.  Saying the movie is better than Cars 2..  I mean,  I don't know if that's saying much.   

DM3 underperformed (another movie made solely because of corporate greed) sure but still had a big opening and it's a more "fresh" franchise.

Just because the movie has had a good reception doesn't mean people will see it in theaters especially when it has so much competition and Cars 2 probably left lots of people skeptical.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Yeah, only Annabelle was not a good movie in this universe so far (for me), but it seems like Annabelle 2 will be much better, Annabelle 2 is 100% on rotten tomatoes (7.9 average rating) with 10 reviews.