Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

Just now, John Marston said:

yeah I am thinking if Tomorrowland hadn't flopped Bird might have even made more live action movies before doing Incredibles 2

John Carter led to Finding Dory, and Tomorrowland led to Incredibles 2. If people want an Inside Out sequel, Pete Docter must direct a 200M budgeted Disney live action franchise starter tentpole.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Incredibles 2 didn't get made because Brad Bird didn't want to make it yet. It was up to him when Incredibles 2 started 

Well, in that case, fair enough. Again, I don't blame them for having a money-making oriented business... but I would still rather that they worked on 300 different originals (even if they were on the mediocre side, like Brave or The Good Dinosaur) than Cars 3, because, well, if out of the catalogue of films you've got, you're giving a sequel to the universally agreed to be lesser Pixar film, and then another sequel to the universally agreed to be WORST (not lesser) Pixar film - their 1st bad movie, imo - then it really feels like you're not really giving a shit about the morals of "good quality first" that Pixar was known for. If DreamWorks or Blue Sky or whatever had the Cars franchise, and they made sequels to these films, nobody would care so much. You don't see anyone giving Illumination this much outrage for making one too many Despicable Me films. It's the fact that Pixar of all companies does them that gets to everyone.

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Wow.

That sounds bad.

Like a trainwreck. :popcorn:

Lol, and you know what, given that the Transformers films focus way more on the humans, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they tried something like that. Bombs away!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Lol, and you know what, given that the Transformers films focus way more on the humans, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they tried something like that. Bombs away!

They will just remake Monster Trucks. In fact, they can just reuse the footage from Monster Trucks and insert Bumblebee into the movie instead of Creech. No one actually watched Monster Trucks, so no one will notice.

• Like 3

Just now, DAR said:

They made Cars 3 because Lasseter wanted Cars 3

Find the lasso of truth, swing it into Lasseter's direction and he'll tell you if that's true or not. :ph34r: (Well, it probably is true, just not for the reasons you might be thinking)

Whatever. As Cars 3 exists and I can't change that, I always root for Pixar and I rooted for Cars 3, just like I'll be reluctantly rooting for Toy Story 4 (another Pixar sequel whose existance I fucking despise, personally).

• Like 1

The Mummy is approaching 300m overseas if anyone cares

Universal/Comcast Corp.'s The Mummy earned another $2.785 million (-54%) after losing 1,112 theaters. The Tom Cruise horror/action hybrid has earned $74.5m in 24 days of domestic release. Yeah, this is a pretty big miss in North America, as it may not best the $80m domestic cume of Jack Reacher, which played in 2D back in 2012. But it's doing better overseas, where it has earned $295.4m for a $369.9m worldwide cume. So yeah, it's going to pass Edge of Tomorrow ($376m) worldwide and yeah, if the budget did cost anywhere close to $125m, it's a solid double even if its poor quality presents a problem for the Dark Universe.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

They will just remake Monster Trucks. In fact, they can just reuse the footage from Monster Trucks and insert Bumblebee into the movie instead of Creech. No one actually watched Monster Trucks, so no one will notice.

And @That One Guy will stan for it hard. 

7 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Find the lasso of truth, swing it into Lasseter's direction and he'll tell you if that's true or not. :ph34r: (Well, it probably is true, just not for the reasons you might be thinking)

Whatever. As Cars 3 exists and I can't change that, I always root for Pixar and I rooted for Cars 3, just like I'll be reluctantly rooting for Toy Story 4 (another Pixar sequel whose existance I fucking despise, personally).

It would be nice if Disney and other studios followed a quote of Walt Disney: "You can't top pigs with pigs."  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Wonder Woman is now only $9 million behind Guardians 2 at the same point, but after the 5th weekend G2 started to get great legs. WW is going to face a massive opener in each of the next 3 weekends: Spider-man, Apes, and of course, Valerian.

I think it's going to be an exciting race between the 2. Great year for comic book movies. :hi5:

Wonder Woman has a good chance at finishing above Guardians 2 IMO, if it drops in the 45-50% range next weekend.

$9 million ($367 million)

$5.5 million ($378 million)

$3.5 million ($385 million)

$2.5 million ($390 million)

$1.5 million ($393 million)

$1 million ($395 million)

Add another $5-10 million from the Labor Day boost and second-run theaters... it gets to $400-405 million DOM

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, DAR said:

Like I said it wouldn't surprise if Bumblebee followed the same trajectory as the Mummy

Sight unseen I'm predicting 75-85mil. It'll make way more overseas but it won't be making Mainline Transformers money.

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

No offense, but anybody who is genuinely happy that a movie made primarily for kids is failing needs to get a life. This isn't about you, or me, or any of the other adults here.

This is the one thing I despise about movie buffs. Some of them feel like the world revolves around them. Every movie, even a freaking kids movie, has to be made for them.

Insert clapping gif here.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Wonder Woman is now only $9 million behind Guardians 2 at the same point, but after the 5th weekend G2 started to get great legs. WW is going to face a massive opener in each of the next 3 weekends: Spider-man, Apes, and of course, Valerian.

I think it's going to be an exciting race between the 2. Great year for comic book movies. :hi5:

Um.......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I am literally astonished watching this thread the last days, seeing how much hate one can have for a thing as harmless as a kids movie.

People hate it when franchises that they don't like make $$$. 

• Like 1