Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

36 minutes ago, UNDERDOG said:

So The Boss Baby has the chance of being the highest grossing animated film this year, domestically..

What. The. Fuck.

Well it's not gonna cross Lego Bat so Lego Bat is gonna stay #1 till DM3 overtakes it and it's guaranteed to.

DM3 will be 100+ after July 4th Tuesday - a big underperformance no doubt. No way it falls below Boss Baby and Lego Bat.

2 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

2011 was the last year an animated film failed to hit $200m. Wonder if we'll see that this year.

That would be super embarrassing for Despicable Me 3. You think it's possible?

Edited by cannastop

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

That would be super embarrassing for Despicable Me 3. You think it's possible?

The first half of 2018 for animated films also looks weak outside of Incredibles 2. I think in all honesty the combined domestic total of Paddington 2, Arctic Squad, Peter Rabbit, Early Man, Gnomes, and Sgt Stubby (I would add in the Laika film but I don't think it's happening) is under the domestic total of Zootopia.

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I'm think that Coco could break out and do 250+mil. 

Coco has a lot of family competition from Daddy's Home 2, The Star, Jumanji, and Ferdinand. Not to mention, JL, Thor, and Star Wars will take families too. Also I wouldn't be surprised if the marketing is so-so.

I think people need to be very cautious with their Coco predictions. The millions of racist supporters of the current US president are not going to take their kids to the film once they realize who the main character is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Coco has a lot of family competition from Daddy's Home 2, The Star, Jumanji, and Ferdinand. Not to mention, JL, Thor, and Star Wars will take families too. Also I wouldn't be surprised if the marketing is so-so.

That what they said about Wonder Woman and look how that's doing. Competition only hurts if a film isn't good. 

2 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I think people need to be very cautious with their Coco predictions. The millions of racist supporters of the current US president are not going to take their kids to the film once they realize who the main character is.

It's still Disney, and people flock to it, no matter who they voted for.

Just now, Jonwo said:

That what they said about Wonder Woman and look how that's doing. Competition only hurts if a film isn't good. 

Wonder Woman was also the first good female superhero movie and caught on like wildfire, while the other films in the summer where in hindsight unwanted sequels.

Just now, YourMother said:

I think compared to Sing crashing Moana's party last year, Coco is better off competition wise. 

Yes SW will hit late legs but being the only major animation will help it too.

It's going to entered a year that has been relatively lean on animation and has Nov and Dec to itself.

Quality is the only thing standing in the way.

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Coco will be successful, probably double what Ferdinand and The Star will do.

Coco: $220M = Ferdinand $100M + Star $120M

Some actual numbers. Still waiting for others to come in.

Weekend Domestic Chart for June 30th, 2017

← Previous Chart Chart Index  

Movie Distributor Gross Change Thtrs. Per Thtr. Total Gross Days

5 (3) Cars 3 Walt Disney $9,689,279 -60% 3,576 $2,710   $120,879,378 17

7 (4) 47 Meters Down Entertainment Studi… $4,518,704 -36% 2,250 $2,008   $32,428,158 17
8 (21) The Beguiled Focus Features $3,162,535 +1,279% 674 $4,692   $3,481,983 10
10 (7) Pirates of the Caribbean: D… Walt Disney $2,525,546 -53% 1,674 $1,509   $165,581,133 38
11 (                
13 (10) Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 Walt Disney $1,539,519 -49% 966 $1,594   $383,383,494 59

(20) The Hero The Orchard $847,181 +184% 401 $2,113   $1,528,528 24
16 (13) The Book of Henry Focus Features $272,930 -71% 363 $752   $3,872,837 17

20 (15) It Comes at Night A24 $150,698 -81% 174 $866   $13,536,228 24

50 minutes ago, UNDERDOG said:

So The Boss Baby has the chance of being the highest grossing animated film this year, domestically..

What. The. Fuck.

No, 

DM3 - 250+

Coco - 250+

7 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

So unfortunate that this isn't just some troll post. I don't want to dive into this, but I mean it didn't hurt Hidden Figures or Get Out

Just now, cannastop said:

That would be super-embarassing for Despicable Me 3. You think it's possible?

It's possible. Unlikely, but possible.

Actually, look at it like this, here's the highest grossing animated film by year for the past decade

2016: Finding Dory, 486m, 2nd for the year

2015: Inside Out, 356m, 4th

2014: The LEGO Movie, 257m, 5th

2013: Frozen, 400m, 3rd

2012: Brave, 237m, 8th

2011: Cars 2, 191m, 8th

2010: Toy Story 3, 415m, 1st

2009: Up, 293m, 5th

2008: WALL-e: 223m, 5th

2007: Shrek 3, 322m, 2nd

So generally every year has a top 5 performance, and at the very least it'll get into the top 10. 

Right now for 2017, LEGO Batman is the highest grossing for the year, at 175m, and it's in 6th. Presumably, DM3 will do better than that, but in order to crack the current top 5, it'll need to get past F8 at 225m. Which might be a big ask. And there are plenty of forthcoming films that should do well better than F8 and Logan: Homecoming, Thor 3, Justice League, and Star Wars should all get past that mark, which no animation may do. And that's not counting on potential breakouts from any number of films like Apes, Dunkirk, and who knows what from the fall months.

Relative to other releases, we're probably looking at a top animated performance on par with the worst of any previous years (2011 and 2012), and it's possible that no animated film may crack the top 10. Unless Coco breaks out, but even then, I'd say a top 5 finish for the year is highly unlikely.

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I think compared to Sing crashing Moana's party last year, Coco is better off competition wise. 

It's going to entered a year that has been relatively lean on animation and has Nov and Dec to itself.

I personally don't see The Star or Ferdinand doing huge numbers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Moana (in terms of competition family wise) faced Strange ($232M), Trolls ($150M), Beasts ($233M) before release and after release dealt with Rogue One ($533M), and Sing ($270M).

Thor will likely be bigger than Strange ($250M-$320M), The Star should do $65M-$100M but if it catches on it could do $150M, Daddy's Home 2 could also do $65M-$100M, JL is definitely going to be bigger than Beasts ($375M-$425M). After Coco release it has competition from Jedi which will definitely be bigger than Rogue One ($700M-$850M), and Ferdinand which seems likely for $85M-$100M both on the same weekend. Then Jumanji opens the next weekend and could do $160M-$170M and maybe even $200M+, Showman is also another musical which could draw in families, ($85M-$100M).

• Like 1