Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I don't blame them for not shifting the date tbh.  Seems like Besson wanted that date as much as Nolan wanted it.

I imagine that the deal probably was shitty in this case, and if it was, then it is Europa's fault for negotiating such a bad deal.  Still, WB should've at least been far more aware that placing Dunkirk in that spot would've made it so that Valerian didn't get any IMAX, and they should've been more considerate of the film.  But hey, that's just me

Studio Execs don't get paid to be considerate.

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

I don't blame them for not shifting the date tbh.  Seems like Besson wanted that date as much as Nolan wanted it.

I imagine that the deal probably was shitty in this case, and if it was, then it is Europa's fault for negotiating such a bad deal.  Still, WB should've at least been far more aware that placing Dunkirk in that spot would've made it so that Valerian didn't get any IMAX, and they should've been more considerate of the film.  But hey, that's just me

If the shoe was on the other foot, I strongly doubt STX or Europa would show any sympathy to Dunkirk or Warner Brothers.

Bottom line is Europa has had a ton of time to move this thing to a nice empty spot in August. Instead you now have a bunch of July movies stacking up with strong critical reception. Makes it a very tough market for Valerian (and Dunkirk for that matter). 

8 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Then it's a shitty deal on the part of Europa. I deal with contracts all the time in my job. Europa would be suing the living shit out of IMAX if IMAX did something illegal. 

Not necessarily, they would loose any chance to ever get an Imax release again, every job I ever worked for contract were often bent when one party knew well the other player would not enforce it, it is how big company get a good advantage over small contractor that have mostly just them as a client for example.

3 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Studio Execs don't get paid to be considerate.

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

No they should not. :rofl: Why should they give a rip about a competitor's product? They have an obligation to their own filmmakers and shareholders to do what's best for their company and their movies, not anyone else's.

Not my point.  I'm not saying they were obligated to be considerate, but I am saying that they should HAVE been considerate. I understand that they want their product to succeed, but I do not endorse what they did by essentially cutting out Valerian's greatest possible source of revenue.  Of course, they also have their own motives for doing it, but this is my view from an outsider's perspective.

I'm just gonna drop this because I'm excited as fuck for the movie and still think it can cross 100M with or without IMAX

Edited by That One Guy

In a perfect world, studios would all work together in an effort to make everything succeed and as a result the slate would have been totally clear for Disney's 2013 film, The Lone Ranger; this would then end up being extremely successful and Gore Verbinski would be making Lone Ranger films to this very day.

Alas, the world is not perfect and businesses are big fans of making more money for themselves rather than their competition and so forever more we will only have one horse in a tree scene from a Gore Verbinski Lone Ranger film.

Edited by aabattery
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Bottom line is Europa has had a ton of time to move this thing to a nice empty spot in August. Instead you now have a bunch of July movies stacking up with strong critical reception. Makes it a very tough market for Valerian (and Dunkirk for that matter). 

Europa is not releasing in that many market (only france ?), and STX only domestic, that movie has 25 different distributor according to imdb, I<m not sure it is and easy ship to turn around if you want a world release pretty much around the same date and it could go both ways, many small player with a low clout not easy for them to get out of an previous engagement.

Edited by Barnack

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not necessarily, they would loose any chance to ever get an Imax release again, every job I ever worked for contract were often bent when one party knew well the other player would not enforce it, it is how big company get a good advantage over small contractor that have mostly just them as a client for example.

Even if that is the case, IMAX didn't force STX or Europa to dig in their heels and stick with the 7/21 date. IMAX has an empty slate in August. Valerian could have easily been moved to that month and would probably stand a much better chance at the box office overall since it's looking like July will be a tough market. 

Just now, That One Guy said:

Not my point.  I'm not saying they were obligated to be considerate, but I am saying that they should HAVE been considerate. I understand that they want their product to succeed, but I do not endorse what they did by essentially cutting out Valerian's greatest possible source of revenue. 

And leaving their greatest possible source of revenue on the table to be nice? That's just not how the movie business works.

If a studio can even secure one additional screen for their big 4000 theater blockbuster at the expense of a 3 theater indie, they will do it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

In a perfect world, studios would all work together in an effort to make everything succeed and as a result the slate would have been totally clear for Disney's 2013 film, The Lone Ranger; this would then end up being extremely successful and Gore Verbinski would be making Lone Ranger films to this very day.

Alas, the world is not perfect and businesses are big fans of making more money for themselves rather than their competition and so forever more we will only have one horse in a tree scene from a Gore Verbinski Lone Ranger film.

A Cure for Wellness was Verbinski's figurative career suicide, but the product we got out of it was damn near worth it.

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Goddamn it Tele.

I haven't seen it, but I highly doubt that it matches Gore Verbinski's 2013 film, The Lone Ranger, that featured a scene with a horse in the tree.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, UNDERDOG said:

They don't have to be considerate for anything.

It helps their own film, that's the only incentive they need. 

Maybe not for an STX release (or if you are Disney), but I would imagine that you are better to have a reputation to play fair, yes fight for the best release date when it is the time for it, but not step over an other studio outside of fair play, so they will to the same for your in the future (but it this case, eurocorp and stx, yes I imagine just think about your movie)

Just now, aabattery said:

I haven't seen it, but I highly doubt that it matches Gore Verbinski's 2013 film, The Lone Ranger, that featured a scene with a horse in the tree.

There's a scene where Dane DeHaan is force fed eel juice :ph34r: