CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

Just now, damnitgeorge08 said:

Well they have three option in coming weeks. Let's see how much they got choosen.

Agree, i really root for them to be succesfull.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, a2knet said:

True.

Apes buzz is looking low for 200+ and Dunkirk if opens to 35-40, will need more than 5x for 200.

So what movie non-cbm, non-animation, non-sw has a chance?

F8 did it with 225+. Probably some december movie like Jumanji will have to surprise huge or smth.

Stephen King's IT has a small chance. Else F8 will stay the only one to do 200+.

Focusing on originals, it's so creditable what Hidden Figures (technically 2016 release) and Get Out accomplished. As originals they have a great shot at being above a big ticket original like Dunkirk.

In 2018, Ready Player One has a shot.

I think Jumanji will do Alvin 2 numbers ($220M+), Ready Player One seems like a sure fire hit.

15 minutes ago, YourMother said:

While I love CBMS it's kind of sad that the only films that make $200M+ domestic nowadays are them, certain animated movies and Star Wars.

Not only is it sad it kind of sucks to be honest. It's tough find something something that wasn't already a major brand or property that will make over that outside of what you mentioned... We did have Get Out this year. I can't even imagine any other likely to breakout like that? Dunkirk maybe? I'd actually count Valerian because it's not really an existing brand DOM. I certainly would not count Apes though. What else is there?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I think it will hit 300mil but I'm more than a little nervous about my 350mil prediction.

Yeah it will be tough getting to $350 ... that's perfect 3x required.

Just now, cannastop said:

I'm rooting for it. I really think it's going to surprise people on OW.

I'm thinking it'll have stronger legs than expected like $45M-$50M/$200M.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Hopefully there will be a major surprise this year...

valerian_and_the_city_of_a_thousand_plan

Valerian could potentially be the biggest comic book based film of 2017. :ph34r:

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Well you will find no person that would be happier If we could get rid of that superheroe dominance but people like them so what can you fucking do?

I am glad people are enjoying themselves.

I'm very glad for what they do for the box office.

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's not risky at all. If anything, it's the best possible plan. The Beguiled had a strong PTA last weekend and should have gone wider because Popcorn Law and mixed WOM have kicked in now. The Big Sick is much better received, but having another small expansion would risk audiences losing interest. Strike while the iron is hot.

Same with Illumination. 

The Beguiled had a per theater average of about $4,000 the previous weekend, which is not strong for a speciality breakout. 

4 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Well you will find no person that would be happier If we could get rid of that superheroe dominance but people like them so what can you fucking do?

I am glad people are enjoying themselves.

LOL well you'll be more disappointed next year .... there's what like one every month ;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The vast majority of movies that are made are not superhero movies. It's the easiest thing in the world to avoid seeing a superhero movie. There are always other films to see. 

Amen to that!

22 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Not only is it sad it kind of sucks to be honest. It's tough find something something that wasn't already a major brand or property that will make over that outside of what you mentioned... We did have Get Out this year. I can't even imagine any other likely to breakout like that? Dunkirk maybe? I'd actually count Valerian because it's not really an existing brand DOM. I certainly would not count Apes though. What else is there?

200 million is just a number. Most other movies don't need to make that much to be financially successful, generate passionate fanbases and ensure continued careers for their creators. 

Edited by tribefan695

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

200 million is just a number. Most other movies don't need to make that much to be financially successful, generate passionate fanbases and ensure continuing careers for their creators. 

Never said that they didn't. Totally agree. I just meant, I'd like to see more stuff breakout big that wasn't a widely known pre-existing brand.