CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

6 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Both superhero movies.
People said WW would have its first bad drop when Spidey opened. Didn't happen.

I remember people saying that and I remember wondering why was Wonder Woman going to fall off the face of the Earth when Guardians of the Galaxy 2 only fell 53% when it went up against Wonder Woman? It was kind of always going to fall hardish because it was coming off of a holiday weekend. It's drop wasn't unusual. There's obviously room for all these films and it's not like the number two or three films are over performing to some massive degree or something.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

9 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

But why those batshit insane legs are happening  in America and America only then ?

Besides the fact that America is the superhero country I mean.

LOL at your Double talkin' jive...

26 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Wasn't the presence of Spidey why Civil War was going to have a 220 OW and 600 DOM run? 

I don't know about boost it over $200M+ OW DOM but it did collect just under $180M OW DOM. Definitely huge increase over Winter Soldier's $95M OW DOM.

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I remember people saying that and I remember wondering why was Wonder Woman going to fall off the face of the Earth when Guardians of the Galaxy 2 only fell 53% when it went up against Wonder Woman? It was kind of always going to fall hardish because it was coming off of a holiday weekend. It's drop wasn't unusual. There's obviously room for all these films and it's not like the number two or three films are over performing to some massive degree or something.

I mean there have been plenty of occasions in the past where direct competition in the same genre pretty much killed another movie. Take a look at Hellboy II in 2008 and ASM1 in 2012. 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2008&wknd=29&p=.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2012&wknd=29&p=.htm

• Like 2

The legs were find overseas. It's not a juggernaut but it's going to make around 400 million dollars. The dceu has been not cancelled. And that good word-of-mouth is going to help the sequel.

Also can I scream about exchange rates every moment like the Guardians of the Galaxy 2 fans?

Edited by Zakiyyah6

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

Top 10 WW this year be like:

1. SW8
  2. BATB
  3. F8
  4. DM3
  5. SM
  6. GOTG2
  7. WONDR/JL
  8. WONDR/POTC5/JL
  9. POTC5/JL
  10. THOR3

Why so low for JL?

I just don't think WONDER being huge is going to help Justice League much.

The large group of females, older people, and audience that rarely see movies in theaters that made Wonder Woman a phenomenon is going to just see the JL trailers and roll their eyes and go "Nope lol".

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

Because we don't know what the reviews are going to be like and we don't know if it's going to be a crowd pleaser. That's why people are skeptical of the Justice League box office prospects.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Why so low for JL?

Not that low. 775-850 will either put it at #9 (below POTC's 780-790), or #8 (between POTC and WONDR), or #7 (above WONDR's 800-820)

Below GOTG2 at #6 for sure, and above Thor3 at #10.

Edited by a2knet

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The legs were find overseas. It's not a juggernaut but it's going to make around 400 million dollars. The dceu has been not cancelled. And that good word-of-mouth is going to help the sequel.

Also can I scream about exchange rates every moment like the Guardians of the Galaxy 2 fans?

Did fine OS. Just above Logan OS. Guardians Vol. 2, Spider-man Homecoming, Thor Ragnarok and Justice League will all do more, some of 'em - Spider-man, Thor - by a pretty wide margin.

I think predicting Justice League to make a billion is a Once Bitten Twice Shy situation. People were predicting that for BvS and it ended 127 million short of that goal. It's kind of hard to keep throwing that prediction out there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Not that low. 775-850 will either put it at #9 (below POTC's 780-790), or #8 (between POTC and WONDR), or #7 (above WONDR's 800-820)

Below GOTG2 at #6 for sure, and above Thor3 at #10.

3 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Edit :P

JL won't go that low but it won't go that high either. Thinking $900M-$1.05B.

Solid weekend at the box office overall - good opening for Spidey.

This thread though... one of the reasons I have started avoiding weekend threads its a slog of DC/MCU the other films in release crap with lots of spite on both sides glazed in supposed niceness. yuck.

• Like 3

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

Thor should do well enough OS to place in the Top 10 WW in '17. Could be close. But, Dark World did $440M OS in '13. Thinking the Ragnarok can do $500M+ OS.

Thinking around GV2 for OS seems fair.

• Like 1